Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone try Windows 8 Developer preview?

67 REPLIES 67
Message 1 of 68
pendean
22836 Views, 67 Replies

Anyone try Windows 8 Developer preview?

Or have plans to try the public Beta of Windows 8 to be released soon?

I had greate success with the Win7 beta and wondering if Windows8 will be the same experience.

67 REPLIES 67
Message 41 of 68
DarrenP
in reply to: michael.robertson

if thats the case then when will we see autocad or any other autodesk program using it

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 42 of 68
michael.robertson
in reply to: DarrenP

If you mean will AutoCAD turn into a Metro app? I would guess it would be a long time, if ever. Not every app would need to be turned into Metro.

Just like I still have DOS screen type apps that run on Win7, WPF apps have been out for years but most apps still use Winforms.

Metro is just another way of presenting information.

I don't know if you are for, against, or don't care either way about Metro but reading other groups it is definitley a hot topic.

Funny how history repeats itself and I'm finally old enough to remember big changes in  computers.

I've programmed  paper tape,cards, terminal, dos, Windows 3, Win 95/SE, Winforms, WPF, and now starting on Metro Apps.

Each time change was derided, I don't know about everyone else but I'm definitely glad each change occured.

The people that adapted are the ones that advanced the most in the end.

Mike Robertson
FL. Dept. of Transportation
CADD Applications Developer
Message 43 of 68
DarrenP
in reply to: michael.robertson

i don't know how i feel yet

i am only running windows 8 RP through a Virtual Machine

i will probably wait until they release the final version to see if i like it

DarrenP
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 44 of 68
TravisNave

We'll be skipping out on this one, much like Vista.  Unless we have a need to go tablet, Windows 7 is likely where we'll be staying for awhile.  I have Win8 Preview on one of our engineering laptops and it's junk compared to 7.  It's like comparing out good Windows 98 was to Windows 95, then how bad ME was.  It's basically the same scenario here.  The middle OS was the better one. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 45 of 68
pendean
in reply to: TravisNave

I have a tablet, and Win7 is terrible at touch screens: it's the only reason I would switch to Win8. Installed it over the weekend and so far I love it. it's a real touch-screen Tablet full-powered OS (not crippled like iOS or Android).

I won't be replacing Win7 on my desktop as it's not necessary from what I can tell so far.

Message 46 of 68
DarrenP
in reply to: pendean

i would probably switch from an ipad to a windows 8 tablet from what i have seen so far it is far superior than the IOS

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 47 of 68
pendean

On my touch-screen tablet I've got AutoCAD 2013 (testing out the now fixed sync option), ADR, office 2010, Sketchup8, Foxit Reader (PDF markup of choice for me), DropBox and Evernote, FTP software, Web browsers, Bluetooth, Wifi access, and a phone tether for when no WiFi is available.

Even better, when in the office I can print and plot, and when at home I can print too with little to no special effort. And access to all my work files on the server, not through share/cloud sites, is a big deal for me.

I'm taking it with me when I leave the office for meetings and site visits for the next few weeks for some real world testing. Way more practical real-world testing than an iPAD/Droid-pad so far, this is real Mobile Computing 🙂

Message 48 of 68
DarrenP

now that i have seen what apple will put into IOS 6 i will probably switch to a windows 8 tablet

apple didn't really impress me with the new IOS features

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 49 of 68
DarrenP

if you didn't see it: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios6/

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 50 of 68
TravisNave

Apple still makes computers? 😄

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 51 of 68
DarrenP

they are adding the retina display to their macbook pro now

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 52 of 68
pendean

They need a full OS tablet, they've got the proven hardware already (on a smaller scale):  if they snooze and let Microsoft run away with it in Win8 Steve Jobs will come back from the grave and kick some tush over there LOL

Message 53 of 68
TravisNave

For Apple to have a chance in the PC market, they don't need an OS as good as Windows. Microsoft simply needs to make Windows as annoying and proprietary as iTunes. The best thing that ever happened to Apple is that it cornered the market on portable devices. Otherwise, they'd have been a footnote in history long ago. If Microsoft would have gotten in at the ground level of iPods and iPhones and had a Tablet a half dozen years ago, nobody would even be talking about Apple.

Autodesk Forums:
Message 54 of 68
DarrenP

does anybody remember the Zune?

what a failure that was

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 55 of 68
TravisNave

A few people around here still used them, as do a some in my family. It was actually a pretty good player but the iPod had already cornered the market. The Creative Labs Zen was probably the best player out there in the early days but just couldn't overcome the hype of Apple. But then again, those consumers are used to paying too much for lousy coffee, so what do you expect?

Autodesk Forums:
Message 56 of 68
pendean

Until software becomes platform neutral, the topic is still about running real office apps on portable devices, not MP3 players or phones. iPAD and Droid-pads are very good, but they don't run business applications. At best they can 'view' them and marginally interact with them, but you still have to go back to the office and finish things up.

Apple needs a true touch-screen business class portable computer: Microsoft has a good one starting with Win8 and with Win8 they seem to have started 'locking' up the OS with their own online store attempt as you note. I don't use consumer products at the office for business, and I doubt anyone here does either: while that is the largest market for making money, we all need business solutions for work.

Message 57 of 68
TravisNave

Dean, that is the best way I have ever heard it put.  And you're right on with that assessment.  Smiley Happy

Autodesk Forums:
Message 58 of 68
Charles_Shade

The local paper ran a story on Apple dropping Google Maps from i-devices in favor of their own map software.

An item that caught my attention and has been stated here is that Microsoft is betting on more touch screen home systems that Apple isn't and therefore Win8's pro touch architecture.

And sounds like easier Tablet operating systems as a bonus.

(Just to jump in where I only understand 1/4 of what your saying. Smiley Wink)

Message 59 of 68
DarrenP
in reply to: Charles_Shade

anyone try the new office 2013 technical preview?

DarrenP

EESignature

Message 60 of 68
DarrenP

now they just released the RTM version of Windows 8

DarrenP

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report