Autodesk Technology Managers Forum
Share your knowledge, ask questions, and engage with fellow CAD/BIM Managers.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

32 bit AutoCAD 2008 on 64 bit computer ?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
paul.ashley
33503 Views, 19 Replies

32 bit AutoCAD 2008 on 64 bit computer ?

We are moving to AutoCAD 2011 and simultaneously testing machines in the Win 7 64 bit environment.  On one of the 64 bit machines we've installed 2011 and would like to quickly migrate our 2008 settings for preliminary testing.  However, the 2008 32 bit install program says it can't install on a 64 bit machine.  Is there any way around that?

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
namssurt
in reply to: paul.ashley

Are you installing from disk or from an automated setup? The disk contains both versions, 32 & 64. If your copy does not, contact your reseller to get a disk with both.

jg
Message 3 of 20
paul.ashley

We were trying an outomated installation for our SMS server and thought perhaps IT does something to the files - like a wrapper - that prevents the installation.  Someone in another department borrowed out disc and didn't return it.  I've located one and hope to try installing with it tomorrow.  The disc says nothing about the bit bersion so I'm hoping that even in 2008 both the 32 and 64 installations were on the same disc.

Message 4 of 20
rmiller1973

If I recall correctly 2008 didn't have an official x64 version. If you contact Autodesk they may send you a link to a 'use at your own risk' x64 version. I know they sent me one but I don't have the link and we have since moved on to where we are currently on 2010.

Message 5 of 20
eviele
in reply to: rmiller1973

Yeah, there's an "at your own risk" version available from Autodesk. We got it from our reseller I think...

There was no officially supported 64 bit version of ACA 2008 so the "at your own risk" version is the best option.

There are problems though. At least here...

We run it on Win7 64bit and the image hotfix as well as the Service Packs ruin the install. So...we run 2008 without service packs or hotfixes. This impacts stability particularly when inserting images into your cad file.

If you're just using it for migration purposes, you're probably fine.

Message 6 of 20
paul.ashley

Thanks for the suggestion.  I was off the last two weeks and just this morning thought of asking my reseller if there was something available.  I'll wait to see what I hear and if he hasn't heard about it, I'll mention your post here.

Message 7 of 20
jmcintyre

If vanilla acad is anything like the acad arch install, the MSI has been set to reject installation of 2008 on 64bit OS. The work around is to copy the contents of the DVD onto a machine and edit the MSI file. If you do a search under the autocad architecture forum you will find more detailed instructions. 2009 was the first true 64bit version released if my memory serves me right.

Message 8 of 20
paul.ashley
in reply to: jmcintyre

I found a website that charted AutoCAD'a compatibility with 64 bit systems and it said that AutoCAD 2008 bit was supported on XP and Vista 64 bit systems but not Windows 7, which is what we're testing on.  Still, your MSI edit idea might work. 

Would I edit the MSI using 7-zip as noted in this article?  http://www.ehow.com/how_7290210_edit-msi-file.html

I'll seach the groups to see if I can find the thread you're speaking of.

Thanks.

Message 9 of 20
XlhHarley

I found this - I haven't tried it yet - but others swear by it...

Here is the advertisement -

http://www.longbowsoftware.com/

Message 10 of 20
paul.ashley

Is it the case, however, that Autodesk never supported AutoCAD 2008 even on Vista?  Were there problems with it running on post-XP OSs?

Message 11 of 20
namssurt

2008 was the first release to support Vista out of the box. 2007 required a ptch if I remember correctly

2008 will work on 7 but is not supported.

jg
Message 12 of 20
paul.ashley
in reply to: namssurt

Thanks.  Our use of it would only be a stopgap measure until we port our customization to 2011 - and that's only good to keep us going while me move towards Revit.

The Orca thing sounds spooky to me but I may try it.

Message 13 of 20
somigli

Message 14 of 20
bull882005

hell0 come you

@paul.ashley wrote:

We are moving to AutoCAD 2011 and simultaneously testing machines in the Win 7 64 bit environment.  On one of the 64 bit machines we've installed 2011 and would like to quickly migrate our 2008 settings for preliminary testing.  However, the 2008 32 bit install program says it can't install on a 64 bit machine.  Is there any way around that?

Message 15 of 20

I have asked before but still trying to find the 64 bit file in 2008. Can someone tell what is the file name within all that are on the disk that show 32 Bit and 64 Bit. Thanks Eric

This is a public forum, please refrain from posting serial numbers or personal information

Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 16 of 20
pendean
in reply to: esauvinetKFAAQ

No such thing exists.
Message 17 of 20
inou

Hi,

AutoCAD 2008 exists in 2 separate verions: x86 and x64.

The x86 (32-bit) version will not even install on a 64-bit OS.

They are 2 separate deployments, it is not one deployment which you can launch and then choose which version to install.

Message 18 of 20
esauvinetKFAAQ
in reply to: somigli

I would like to thank the community for their response. To anyone looking for the answer with problems loading autocad, Longbow is the answer. I have never seen a company that went to so much effort to help a customer. Kudos to longbow.

Message 19 of 20
Lurifax

Hi,

Longbow is probably the best option but you can also do it without it if you want.

AutoCAD 2008 32bit can be installed on 64bit Windows 7, I have done it. It also works well. The installer checks if the operating system is 64bit and stops if it is true. Youcan remove this check by editing the .msi. i got this to install and work without any problems but I couldn't uninstall the program normally but as a parallel installation was Ok I didn't bother to investigate the problem more. below are some instructions I found somewhere from the net. There maybe some steps missing but you get the idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Updated Workaround instructions for 64 Bit OS InstallOptions

1. Download and install Orca from Microsoft.

2. Copy the installation files to your hard drive or a network folder.

3. Backup the files ACA.msi and Setup.ini

4. Edit the ACA.msi with Orca and delete the action found in the table "InstallExecuteSequence" that is called "CheckFor64BitOS" Delete the same line under table "CustomAction"

5. Save and close the ACA.msi

6. Edit the Setup.ini with Notepad.

Delete the line under

"#==================== Platform Requirement"

that is labeled

"PLATFORM=NO_WOW_64_PROCESS"

7. Double-click the Setup.exe and you should be able to install without any problems.

8. Some support paths under the "Files" tab of the configuration dialog box have incorrect paths.
The installer adds and extra "\AppData\AppData" to some support paths located in the user profile.

For example the Main Customization File's path is listed as
"C:\Users\%username%\AppData\AppData\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ACD-A 2008\enu\Support\ADT" when it should be
"C:\Users\%username%\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\ACD-A 2008\enu\Support\ADT"

Fix the incorrect paths, hit apply, and you are good to go.

I wonder why the ADT team chose to disable 64 bit installs.
The program seems to function fine in Vista 64 bit. ADT 2006 and 2007 installed without a hitch on this same system even though you had to set them to run as ADMIN in order to be able to use them, so I am not buying the whole "the ARX programs don't work with 64 bit" argument.

I switched to Revit a few years ago anyway, but it is a shame what they are doing to ADT. Peace out.

Message 20 of 20
0909o0o0
in reply to: namssurt

e: 32 bit AutoCAD 2008 on 64 bit computer ?see you agein pruse

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Administrator Productivity

Autodesk Design & Make Report