Buzzsaw Forum Archive
Welcome to Autodesk’s Buzzsaw Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Buzzsaw topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DWG TrueView 2012 - Measure area gives strange results

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
DerekGCWhite
20534 Views, 8 Replies

DWG TrueView 2012 - Measure area gives strange results

When I use TrueView against DWG files I get exact figure for the Line measurements however; when I attempt to measure an area I obtain answers that are way away from what would be expected

Has onebody any ideas as to how I can get this to work?

Does anyone know where I can download a version of 2011 or 2010 so I can check whether it is the 2012 version or my system?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
jforish
in reply to: DerekGCWhite

Hi

I have an installation doing the exact same thing. Any help or suggestions would be great.

Message 3 of 9
jforish

I just stumbled onto the answer. It seems that you have to do your area measurements in Model space. When measuring in any of the layout tabs I get crazy results, in model space it measures exactly as in Autocad.

Message 4 of 9
DerekGCWhite

Many thanks foryour reply and I am glad you managed to find a way around your problem unfortunately with me when I go to the model tab of the drawings I am using all I am presented with is a black background

You may deduce I am not an expert on this drawing tool and you would be correct although I am surprised that such simple function would be so difficult

Message 5 of 9
jforish

That may or may not be bad. I'm not real familiar with the program, but in model space I would assume you can zoom to extents. If nothing shows up at all, then the original drawing must be done in paperspace. (Not standard practice). Taking a wild guess here but you should be able to get the scale factor for the drawing, (it should be on the titleblock), take an area measurement and do the math. I may be way out in left field, but I think it would be worth a try.

Good luck

Message 6 of 9
DerekGCWhite
in reply to: jforish

jforish,

Many thanks and yes that is what I do. I use the line measurements and then resort to the calculator. I am an Energy Assessor and require detailed areas for the calculation so having to do it manually is a pain that's all and far more accurate than scaling off a paper drawing

Message 7 of 9
kathy

In Autocad - it usually has to do with how your units are set up in the drawing. If you hold the mouse over the area information in the propertys dialog box - it may tell you a different measurement - ie- I usually get sq. inches when I get drawings from architects - but if I hold my mouse over the area info - it will show me sq ft. 
Dont know if this is what you're talking about - but hopefully it helps.

The drawing should be drawn to 100 percent - full size in model space. 

Message 8 of 9
jnpc

Maybe you know this already but here it is.

-> Measure.

-> Select your 2 points.

-> Press F2 and the exact distance ( hypotenuese) will show in the Text Box.

Textbox can also be selected in tools, press cancel if prompt pop up box is in your way.

Message 9 of 9

HI everyone,

Im currently using the 2013 version of the true viewer, following the messages, and the instructions to use the model tab in measuring the area. Well after trying several times, after pointing the corners of the area, a command "Point or option keyword is required" is away popping out. can someboby please help.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report