Buzzsaw General Discussion

Reply
*DaveP
Message 1 of 7 (68 Views)

File dates changing

68 Views, 6 Replies
07-24-2003 02:46 AM
We're having a problem in Buzzsaw 4 with the file dates.
It looks as though the file dates and times are changing to the date & time
the file was DOWNLOADED, not the last time the drawing was changed. This is
causing us a lot of grief, as we can't tell if a file was actually changed,
or just downloaded again.

Is there an option that causes this, something we're doing wrong, or a bug?

TIA
Dave Plumb
*Sheppard, Scott
Message 2 of 7 (68 Views)

Re: File dates changing

07-24-2003 02:52 AM in reply to: *DaveP
This is a feature. It is the basis for the what's new capability.

"DaveP" wrote in message
news:smileyvery-happy:04BDA270A07F684DF1FE2B232D4A326@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> We're having a problem in Buzzsaw 4 with the file dates.
> It looks as though the file dates and times are changing to the date &
time
> the file was DOWNLOADED, not the last time the drawing was changed. This
is
> causing us a lot of grief, as we can't tell if a file was actually
changed,
> or just downloaded again.
>
> Is there an option that causes this, something we're doing wrong, or a
bug?
*DaveP
Message 3 of 7 (68 Views)

Re:

07-24-2003 04:18 AM in reply to: *DaveP
But doesn't that make it MORE difficult to communicate with other offices?
Phone conversation:
Me: "I have a question on drawing A101. Lets both open it in AutoCAD."
You: "OK, got it"
Me: "We made a change to Room 1-203. Do you see it?"
You: "No, we don't have that change."
Me: "What's the date of your drawing?"
You: "Its dated yesterday."
Me: "That's weird, we made the change last week."
You: "Yep, we've got yesterday's drawing, but I don't see any changes."
Me: "Oh, wait a minute, we never uploaded it!"

The long and short of it is, I want to see when the file was last changed.
I don't care when it got downloaded. Note that I'm talking about
DOWNloading. I might see the point if the file time changed on the UPload,
but if it changes when the file is DOWNloaded, what does that have to do
with "what's new"?



"Scott Sheppard" wrote in message
news:BCC8222542B900648EF9C72366D3C3B3@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> This is a feature. It is the basis for the what's new capability.
>
> "DaveP" wrote in message
> news:smileyvery-happy:04BDA270A07F684DF1FE2B232D4A326@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > We're having a problem in Buzzsaw 4 with the file dates.
> > It looks as though the file dates and times are changing to the date &
> time
> > the file was DOWNLOADED, not the last time the drawing was changed.
This
> is
> > causing us a lot of grief, as we can't tell if a file was actually
> changed,
> > or just downloaded again.
> >
> > Is there an option that causes this, something we're doing wrong, or a
> bug?
>
>
>
*Sheppard, Scott
Message 4 of 7 (68 Views)

Re:

07-24-2003 06:25 AM in reply to: *DaveP
What's New is computed as showing you files you have not seen yet. When
ProjectPoint first started, the Mechanical division of Autodesk asked for
the behavior you are describing. Their product was doing extra calculations
on assemblies, because their product thought that the files were newer
simply because they had been downloaded later. They too wanted the date/time
on the file to be the date/time that it was uploaded to ProjectPoint. I had
the programmer, Phil Ford, make this change. Suddenly the "what's new
capability of ProjectPoint" stopped working. ProjectPoint was computing what
you had seen and not seen using the dates on the files. So Phil backed that
change out.

I understand the request for the feature. I am just trying to explain that a
Buzzsaw site does not work this way. The information as to what the latest
date on the file is is available buy looking at the Buzzsaw site itself. If
you do a refresh and download, the ProjectPoint application will only
download what has changed from the site. That is the best it has to offer
for now.

"DaveP" wrote in message
news:836D06E18894979B1E851024C5081924@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> But doesn't that make it MORE difficult to communicate with other offices?
> Phone conversation:
> Me: "I have a question on drawing A101. Lets both open it in AutoCAD."
> You: "OK, got it"
> Me: "We made a change to Room 1-203. Do you see it?"
> You: "No, we don't have that change."
> Me: "What's the date of your drawing?"
> You: "Its dated yesterday."
> Me: "That's weird, we made the change last week."
> You: "Yep, we've got yesterday's drawing, but I don't see any changes."
> Me: "Oh, wait a minute, we never uploaded it!"
>
> The long and short of it is, I want to see when the file was last changed.
> I don't care when it got downloaded. Note that I'm talking about
> DOWNloading. I might see the point if the file time changed on the
UPload,
> but if it changes when the file is DOWNloaded, what does that have to do
> with "what's new"?
>
>
>
> "Scott Sheppard" wrote in message
> news:BCC8222542B900648EF9C72366D3C3B3@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > This is a feature. It is the basis for the what's new capability.
> >
> > "DaveP" wrote in message
> > news:smileyvery-happy:04BDA270A07F684DF1FE2B232D4A326@in.WebX.maYIadrTaRb...
> > > We're having a problem in Buzzsaw 4 with the file dates.
> > > It looks as though the file dates and times are changing to the date &
> > time
> > > the file was DOWNLOADED, not the last time the drawing was changed.
> This
> > is
> > > causing us a lot of grief, as we can't tell if a file was actually
> > changed,
> > > or just downloaded again.
> > >
> > > Is there an option that causes this, something we're doing wrong, or a
> > bug?
> >
> >
> >
>
>
Contributor
BCS_Support
Posts: 21
Registered: ‎11-13-2003
Message 5 of 7 (68 Views)

Re: File dates changing

07-25-2003 08:01 AM in reply to: *DaveP
If you are downloading by dragging and dropping or copying and pasting, you are using a Windows function which will change the time stamp on the downloaded file to the present date and time. If you right click the file and choose the Download option from the menu, you are using a Buzzsaw function and the original time stamp will be preserved.

Hope this helps!
*Sheppard, Scott
Message 6 of 7 (68 Views)

Re:

07-28-2003 12:00 AM in reply to: *DaveP
Thanks! The "What's New" functionality was redone
as part of ProjectPoint 3.0. The date restriction no longer exists on the
downloaded files.


style="PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; BORDER-LEFT: #000000 2px solid; MARGIN-RIGHT: 0px">
If
you are downloading by dragging and dropping or copying and pasting, you are
using a Windows function which will change the time stamp on the downloaded
file to the present date and time. If you right click the file and choose the
Download option from the menu, you are using a Buzzsaw function and the
original time stamp will be preserved.

Hope this helps!

Active Member
arionsky
Posts: 7
Registered: ‎12-02-2003
Message 7 of 7 (68 Views)

Re:

08-25-2003 12:17 PM in reply to: *DaveP
We got a similar problem and our users are seriously complaining there are a lot of documents in the "What's New", even though they have read the documents before. They keep on showing as New Items for them but, in fact, they are merely downloaded by somebody. Please advise how it can be resolved; otherwise, it is contradictory to call it as "What's New"?! Right?

You are not logged in.

Log into access your profile, ask and answer questions, share ideas and more. Haven't signed up yet? Register

Announcements
Are you familiar with the Autodesk Expert Elites? The Expert Elite program is made up of customers that help other customers by sharing knowledge and exemplifying an engaging style of collaboration. To learn more, please visit our Expert Elite website.

Need installation help?

Start with some of our most frequented solutions to get help installing your software.

New Buzzsaw Category!

The Buzzsaw forum has moved into it's very own category page, and can no longer be found within the Additional Product Forums.

Ask the Community