Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow Linking & Unlinking of Equipment to the BIM Model within Field

Allow Linking & Unlinking of Equipment to the BIM Model within Field

Currently, equipment items can only be linked to the BIM model if the equipment item was generated from the equipment model. On a large percentage of projects, the final BIM model does not precede the need for having an equipment item within Field. You should be able to assign a BIM object to a piece of equipment after the fact.

Also, BIM objects (and their Identifiers) can change frequently as projects progress. You should be able to unlink an existing BIM-equipment link, and relink it to a different object.

4 Comments
Anonymous
Not applicable

Agreed.  It is very painful when equipmnet GUID's changed during a model update.  Especially after a large amount of data has already been collected on that equipment.  I still have yet to find an effective way to do this which means there will always be holes in the final integrated model. 

joan_allen
Community Manager
Status changed to: Future Consideration

sboyko_gilbaneco_com
Community Visitor

This feature would have saved me many hours of stress and frustration, as well as 3 weeks of Autodesk Support's time. Further, it would allow equipment tracking to begin earlier in the project, which would benefit the entire process and allow non-BIM staff to be more involved. Please incorporate!

Anonymous
Not applicable

This is all especially true since the product documents instruct us to use the GUID, and with trade contractor models being changed often I now have 100 - 200 man hours ahead of me re-linking photos, documents, and issues. During the commissioning phase at that.

The lack of this feature has caused a SINGLE POINT FAILURE in a deliverable to the client. 

If the import function would just accept the “model” and “BIM Object ID” it would be easy.

Is there ANY way to link an equipment record back to an object in a model?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Autodesk Design & Make Report