We are experiencing a phenomenon in our workplace. It appears that some users can no longer use the vault addin. It is loaded, and visible to the users, but the buttons to launch vault explorer or open files are unresponsive. Furthermore, trying to open a file and accessing vault through the open dialog results in exiting from that dialog. The vault server is running fine, and most of our employees machines are running Vault and Inventor as required.
I am running Inventor 2012 SP2 with Vault 2012.
I have run a fresh install on one of the machines with no improvement.
Apologies if you have tried a number of these things but can I have you look at the following troubleshooting guide on the Wiki and see if anything here can help.
Vault client and addin are installed, and were reinstalled yesterday (along with Inventor SP2) by me to no avail.
This started happening right after IT pushed a Microsoft update to our machines.
My just be a coincidence. We all had the update but only 2 out of 15 computers so far have shown this behavior.
It should also be noted that the Vault addin toolbar is shown only when no files are open. Once a part file is opened, the Vault tab disappears completely.
Are you able to log into the 2 machines with the issue as different users and test?
Thanks for the suggestion, when I log into the machines using my own user profile, the Vault addin works fine.
OS is Windows 7 64 bit.
Any suggestions on where to go from here?
This problem persists, with more users in our workgroup experiencing these problems. It is hit and miss, almost like a virus making the rounds. I'm wondering if the fact that opening a new file from vault explorer always opens a new instance of inventor will point to anything in particular. We see this behaviour as well, and it corresponds with the addin disappearing.
Apologies for missing your last update - this does then "appear" to be user profile related. Can I get you to try the following on one of the affected machines - for WIndows 7 remove the following directories:
C:\Users\<User Name>\AppData\Roaming\Autodesk\Autodesk Vault Professional 2012
Start Inventor and log back into Vault - see if this now works.
Check to see if you were pushed to the 64 bit version of Office.
Autodesk intentionally did not create a Vault 2012 compatible add-in for Office 64bit, as they failed to asses how many users would be making the switch to the 64 bit product. I'm still more than a little burned by this...
You can remedy the situation if you can stomache Vault 2013. We had a hard enough time going to Vault 2012, that we decided it is less painful to live without the Add-in and wait for 2014 rather than make the switch to 2013.
If you're still on the 32-bit version, then this obviously doesn't apply.
Vault Pro 2012 22.214.171.124
Intel Xeon X5690 @ 3.47 GHz
12.0 GB Ram
Windows 7 x64
AMD FirePro V7900 - 8.830.5.6000
"We have not succeeded in answering all our problems. The answers we have found only serve to raise a whole set of new questions. In some ways we feel we are as confused as ever, but we believe we are confused on a higher level and about more important things." - Earl C. Kelley
Have you created a support case for this issue - it did seem to me that the issue was related to the profile but if resetting the user profile settings for Vault has no effect then there may need to be some deeper investigation.
Also please ensure you have Vault 2012 Update 1 installed.