Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forging deformation simulation

30 REPLIES 30
Message 1 of 31
Anonymous
2142 Views, 30 Replies

Forging deformation simulation

I am new to Autodesk simulation and want to better understand the capabilities to determine if the software is right for my task before persuing it further.

I would like to simulate heating two steel parts non-uniformly and then pushing them together to simulate the plastic deformation that results. Is the Autodesk simulation software appropriate for this?  Ideally, the material property effects of the non-uniform temperature on the steel will be taken into account in the deformation behavior and the deformation can be simulated with a large amount of plastic deformation.

Can anyone answer if the software can indeed do such simulations and what sort of limitations I'd be faced with?

Much thanks!

Tags (1)
30 REPLIES 30
Message 2 of 31
SaMurgie
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi

Autodesk Simulation Mechanical or Professional is appropriate for this type of analysis.  A thermal analysis can be run to get the temperature definitions, then a nonlinear time-dependent structural analysis (MES) can be run using the temperatures from that thermal analysis.

Sam

Message 3 of 31
hupn

Hi,

This is one typical one-directional multi-physics supported by Autodesk Simulation. Autodesk simulation supports both steady and transient thermal analysis. Therefore, you can choose the proper one for your case, and the mechanic event simulation can take either thermal result and perform the proper structure simulation.

hup 

Message 4 of 31
Anonymous

Thank you for the replies.  I may have some more specific questions once I've looked into this further.

Regards.

Message 5 of 31
Anonymous

Hi,

I'm trying too do a forging simulation in autodesk simulation, but I'm having many dificulties! If you have sucess, can you help me please?

Regards,

Mecanico.

Message 6 of 31
SaMurgie

Obviously, we offer "simulations".  These "simulations" always make some assumptions but, of course, are much, much, much less expensive than prototyptes.

The process would be In Adsk Simulation Mechanical:

1.)    Run thermal analysis to create the temperature distribution

2.)    Assume material points carry these distributions during deformation (assuming no re-distribution happens (the coupling b/w thermal and MES/structural is currently 1-way only)

3.)    Then you can simulate large plastic deformation in MES; MES considers the effect of temperature on material properties

Admittedly if the plastic deformation is too large (>500%) then this might not provide a valid solution.  I suspect that is not the case and this should work.

Message 7 of 31
Anonymous
in reply to: SaMurgie

Very tranks for your answer!

I'm trying do a simulation of a simple metal forging initially, to see plastic deformations on material and friction effects, but what material type use I to material in plastic deformation and to rigid tools? and the contact conditions? one more doubt, when I load the tools, I want to enter with velocity and control the displacement, how do I this? Later I will send you my model to verify!

Regards!

Mecanico.

Message 8 of 31
SaMurgie

Your engineering expertise is the best judge of which material to use and for the type of contact to use.  However, I recommend starting simple with contact and only after getting good simulation results, then add complexitiy.  This is a good rule of thumb in general for MES (or any complicated simulation in any simulation software).

For the rigid tools, I recommend using kinematic elements.  It reduces memory requirements and solution time.

For displacement, we have boundary conditions called Prescribed Displacements.  And velocity can be added on a per part basis.

BTW, I suspect the Adsk Legal would object to us "verifying" anything...  We can suggest... 

Message 9 of 31
Anonymous

Ok! I will try run the simualtion here and anytring I talk to you! Then, is better use I initially surface to surface contact? And the material is a aluminum, which the material type? Need to be the thermal analysys transient? Other thing, my problem is axysimmetric, can be designed in a 2D model, right?

Regards!

Mecanico.

Message 10 of 31
SaMurgie

Surface-to-surface contact is good to use.  Check out the selection group feature as well as a means to designate the contact surfaces.

As for the material type, thermal-plastic is needed.

Ultimately it is up to you and your experience on whether steady-state thermal is sufficient or not.  But steady-state might be fine given my understanding of what your are trying to model. 

Ordinarily I would recommend that you use axisymmetric modeling.  Unfortunately Updated Lagrangian is not available for 2D axisymmetric for thermal-plastic material models.  Thus I recommend using quarter-symmetry instead.

Message 11 of 31
Anonymous

Hi, I created the model 2D, I did the thermal transient analysis with only initial temperatures on the materials, and used this results for the MES, where I put some boundary conditions and loads and defined the materials. What happened is that when I run simulation, the program doesn't calculate! Can you see my model please?

Message 12 of 31
SaMurgie

If you need someone to delve into your model, you will need to go through the standard Autodesk support channels.

I can give you a few suggestions, though:

- make certain that your load curves are correct

- make sure your mesh is correct

- look in the processor log files for error messages

Message 13 of 31
Anonymous

Ok, I decided now do a 3D model, how do I in a quarter? I did a thermal transient analysys during 1s at 10 steps and I have the temperature distribution! What do I after?

Regards!

Mecanico.

Message 14 of 31
Anonymous

And when I run simulation in MES with the materials e conditions, results many warnings of distorted element! What do I?

Message 15 of 31
Anonymous

Hi,

I'm sending you a image of what I'm trying analyse! Could you please then do a simple model for example of forging and pass me? I didn't understand well how to do and my simulations hadn't sucess, if I can show you my model, tell me! I'm needing very much!

Best regards!

Mecanico. 

Message 16 of 31
SaMurgie

Hi

You should contact Adsk support.

Sam

Message 17 of 31
Anonymous

How enter I in contact to support? If you can, help me please!

A example de large plastic deformation of a metal material would be very good because I didn't get this with Autodesk Simulation and is the more important!

Regards,

Mecanico.

Message 18 of 31
SaMurgie

I'll look around for some sort of example.

As for contacting support, I am not sure.  I know it can differ depending on the contract and the location.

Message 19 of 31
Anonymous

I think that the support isn't able to me here in São Carlos-SP, Brazil, and I'm in a hurry with this analyse! If you can, do a simple example of a plastic deformation in a metal material among two rigid materials pressing please and send me! Very thanks for your help! I need so much and I'm not getting! I will wait your answer!

Best regards!

Mecanico.

Message 20 of 31
John_Holtz

Hi Mecanico,

I looked at the image that you attached to one of the posts. I could not understand the geometry. Can you attach a figure of the initial shape and the final shape? It can be a hand sketch, CAD drawing, or anything else that conveys the 3D shape of the part being forged.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report