Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First time using Autodesk multiphysics, and am rather lost.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
humbug1987
576 Views, 5 Replies

First time using Autodesk multiphysics, and am rather lost.

Hello everyone.

I'm a young student of mechanical engineering, and I am using this program for the first time. I have used other FEA programs in the past like strand7, though was rather clunky... so its nice to be in a streamlined user interface... however I am a little lost in terms of the major processes at play. I wanted to play with cfd mainly, but I need to learn how to use the fea functions also.

I was able to import some 3d models into the program from autocad and I was able to mesh it, however I was confused when it prompts me for model type, such as 2d, 3d, 3d fluid, brick etc etc. Also when I run through a cfd template, it doesn't allow me to assign materials of the object, just air and water.

I wasn't even able to assign inlets and outlets. Very confused. So I assume I am forgetting something very important.

I wasn't even able to generate a simulation from the basic wizard at the startup screen... so again, I think I am unaware of something important required for the program to operate.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to any helpful replies, as I'm really excited to use this program. It looks like a lot of fun, but not until I overcome these first but most frustrating hurdles.

Thanks in advance

Brendan

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
humbug1987
in reply to: humbug1987

Well, I have finished modeling my drawing that I wish to import. I'll attach a copy of the file so you guys can see what I'm trying to do.

I'd really appreciate it if some one could give me a quick rundown on what I need to do? I can figure out the fine details as I go along, but I just need help with the big picture so to speak.

Anyway, here is a screen shot + a cad model.

Anyway, Thanks for reading, and be sure to check out my model please.

Regards

Brendan

Message 3 of 6
humbug1987

I'm also having problems meshing my model... its comming up with strange errors and some surfaces are not coming through.

Is it even required to mesh for CFD? The resolution on the model seems to be rather terrible after meshing.

Message 4 of 6
humbug1987

Autodesk Simulation Tutorial

I have been studying his video and I have noticed that he starts off using Inventor fusion; which I have. However he mentions about using cad plugins... I have checked my copy of inventor fusion 2012 and it doesn't have the same menues... I was unable to see anything about this sim plug in. There is that simulation button but it just says "unable to process Algor Simulation. I have no idea what that means or if it has anything to do with the plugin.

Anyway, this is what I have on screen:

Message 5 of 6
humbug1987

I've been really trying at this, and it seems my origional problems were model related... however I am still coming accross some strange errors.

1) I am unable to add internal fluid to curved surfaces (using the internal fluid tool) . It says it can only add planar bounding surfaces.

2) When making my internal volume from cad drawing proceedures. (note: am not able to use inventor fusion to 3d model from my construction lines in cad, and I am unable to do 3D subtracts either.) However, when using the internal model, I am unable to mesh.

I have uploaded my latest models... can someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. Not the best way to spend a saturday night 😛 I'd appreciate any help, however small it may be.

Thanks

Message 6 of 6
Joey.X

Hi, humbug1987

Sorry for ignoring you posts, after having a look of your two threads and attached dwg files. Here are some basic hints for you. 

- All three dwg files appear having solid parts only, if you want doing CFD analysis, please produce fluid parts in CAD, either Inventor, fusion,  or whatever any CAD packages. You can do Boolean operations in CAD to make fluid parts and then import to ASIM/MP.

- For all your cases, the element types are all 3D  

- It is suggested to simplify the trivial CAD features, which may introduces meshing issues and make the simulation model bigger (usually unnecessary).

- Please refer to ASIM/MP's online help and tutorials for the basic simulation setups. 

http://wikihelp.autodesk.com/Simulation_Mechanical/enu/2013

- For helps in simulation model setup and question, it will be better to post screen cut and archive model if it is small.

Jianhui Xie, Ph.D
Principal Engineer
MFG-Digital Simulation

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report