Simulation Mechanical Forums (Read-Only)
Welcome to Autodesk’s Simulation Mechanical Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Simulation Mechanical topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Create, Post, or Provide an Archive of your model

2 REPLIES 2
SOLVED
Message 1 of 3
John_Holtz
1611 Views, 2 Replies

Create, Post, or Provide an Archive of your model

This thread will discuss the various methods of archiving the model, whether to keep the model for your own purposes, or to send it to someone else. (Current as of Autodesk Simulation Mechanical/Multiphysics 2012.)

General

Autodesk Simulation includes a built-in archiving utility. From the application button, go to "Archive > Create". After you specify the name of the archive file, you are prompted to choose between archiving the model only, or archiving the model and results. This option affects ALL design scenarios in the file. (For technical support or help, the model only is usually sufficient unless instructed otherwise. For archival purposes, you should use the model and results option.)

Note: If the file is from a CAD model assembly, only the assembly file is included in the archive. The part files are not included. Use the application button "Archive > Manage Existing" to check what has been archived or to add additional files.

Tips

In cases where file size is a problem, such as posting to this discussion group, a typical archive may be too large. Here are some tips for reducing the archive size further. Note that these tips should not be used when creating an archive for your own storage and retrieval purposes!

1) Delete any design scenarios that are not needed. Keep in mind that the design scenario of interest may need the results from another design scenario, in which case the other design scenario should not be deleted. For example, if a stress analysis in design scenario 5 reads the temperature distribution from design scenario 1, then both design scenarios should be kept.

2) Use My Computer or Windows Explorer and browse to the folder where the model is located.

a) Browse into the folder "my model name.ds_data\DS#\ds.mod", where DS# is the number corresponding to the design scenario.

b) Delete all of the files except for model.cdx, model.dbf, and model.fpt. Note that the three letter extensions may not be shown depending on how your system is configured, but there are only three files beginning with "model".

c) Repeat these steps for any other design scenario being included in the archive.

3) Create the archive as described above.

Posting

If the resulting archive is too large to post to the discussion group or email, then use one of the many free online file sharing sites to transfer the archive.

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
John_Holtz
in reply to: John_Holtz

I have one other tip related to posting an archive. This discussion board will not accept the default file extension (.ACH). If the archive is small enough to post to the board, use My Computer to change the extension from .ACH to .ZIP. (I believe attachments are limited to 2 MB.)

John Holtz, P.E.

Global Product Support
Autodesk, Inc.

If not provided already, be sure to indicate the version of Inventor Nastran you are using!

"The knowledge you seek is at knowledge.autodesk.com" - Confucius 😉
Message 3 of 3
AstroJohnPE
in reply to: John_Holtz

Just a quick update to this thread. Archive files (.ach) can now be attached to a post. And I have seen attachments much larger than 2 GB. Smiley Happy

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report