A common issue that users are encountering with installing Simulation CFD 2012 is that even after confirming that the license server is working correctly in lmtools, while loading CFD 2012 the following error message is shown.
The solution here only applies to computers that are both running the license server (ADLM) and CFD 2012.
Open the following file in notepad:
C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Simulation CFD 2012\licpath.lic
In this file you probably will see the following
SERVER myServer 000000000000
What we need to do is change it to this
SERVER 127.0.0.1 000000000000
This ip address is the local ip address for your computer and will get around an issue with Flex.
After you change the file and save it, try to open Autodesk Simulation CFD 2012 again. Hopefully this time the error message will go away and the interface will load.
Give that a try and if doesn't help please contact us in support!
We have Autodesk Vault 2011 and Autodesk Algor 2011 on network licenses and they have been working fine. Yesterday after installing Autodesk CFD 2012 on a workstation. I contacted Autodesk authocodes providing them my existing license file and had them append the file with the CFD section. After implementing the new license files Algor and Vault were able to get a license and functioned fine. But the CFD gets this error.
I have checked the Server status tab and the license is being broadcast ( Users of 85908SCFDCI_2012_0F: (Total of 1 license issued; Total of 0 licenses in use) ). I have also reinstalled CFD making absolutely sure I entered the server name correctly.
Any suggestions on how to resolve this when the License Server is not on the workstation?
Quick question for you on your previous post. Did you only generate the one licence for the inventor connection for cfd? If so, you probably need to register more products like the user interface (design study environment) and one of the solvers.
No I did not. Actually I had no idea there were three licensable components...until I finally talked to Blue Ridge Numerics (CFD) and they gave me all three serial numbers. I then was able to get a license with all three incements.
At any rate we are now running.
To answer your original question, to resolve connectivity issues when the NLM is not on the workstation, you need to address the IPv6 connectivity issue. This information should help the next person with the problem who finds this post on a search.
For more information about Network License Manager connectivity issues and IPv6, please see my discussion post here:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files | Disk Space