Robot Structural Analysis Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Robot Structural Analysis Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Robot Structural Analysis topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cutting of slanted column

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
GabrieleNovembri1027
1368 Views, 10 Replies

cutting of slanted column

It seems that do not exists in Robot the possibility to cut a tilted column with an inclined plane.

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

This sort of stuff is usually done in a dedicated CAD processor like AutoCAD.

If your plane is parallel to any of the global coordinate planes, you can use the "Edit -> Divide... -> by a plane" option in Robot's menu, specifying the correct coordinate and plane type.

Message 3 of 11
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: Bauskas

It is possible to write small COM macro (in VB or C) doing that. Even, if you create dll for it , it is possible to add it to pull down menu by Add-ins Manager.

I am attaching screen shot of the option doing exactly what you want made by one of polish users.

Rafal Gaweda
Message 4 of 11
Rafacascudo
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

Hi Rafal, This particular add-in (bar cut by generic plane) would be very useful for me , and I think for other users too. How can I get it??? Could you make it available? Wouldn´t it be a good idea if we had a " Users add-ins (use at your own risk)database" ??? It could be unsupported by autodesk. I don´t care!!!

Rafael Medeiros
Robot Structural Analysis

Message 5 of 11

Hello
I find your add-in very useful too. Can you make it public?. Consider that the reported problem is very common because rhe analitical model often come from REVIT that, as you probably know, has problems with analytical models of complex tilted slabs.

Regards

Message 6 of 11

Memo: analytical model is something that has a closed form solution. The models that we have are called numerical or FE.

Message 7 of 11

I may agree with you but perhaps it is convenient to use terminology defined by Autodesk .... only to understand each other

Message 8 of 11

I perferctly understand your argument here, knowing that Autodesk has been promoting this term for quite a long time.

Yet to understand each other, I tend to think we should use terminology defined by science and the engineering community, not a vendor whose software some of us engineers happen to use.

Message 9 of 11
A.wikipedia
in reply to: Rafal.Gaweda

You given me macro cutting os slanted colum.

Please????

Message 10 of 11
AJA14
in reply to: A.wikipedia

Hi, I have used the object combination and used cutting off along an arbitrary plane after drawing a wall in the plane of the column. Then I trimmed the column with the edge of the wall and it works just fine. No need for a macro. Hope this helps.

Ali Al-Hammoud
Structural Design Engineer
MZ & Partners Engineering Consultancy
Message 11 of 11
Rafal.Gaweda
in reply to: AJA14

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report