Revit Structure Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Structure Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Structure topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

technology preview of Structure Generator for Revit on Autodesk Labs

43 REPLIES 43
Message 1 of 44
scott.sheppard
3652 Views, 43 Replies

technology preview of Structure Generator for Revit on Autodesk Labs

There is a new technology preview that 2012 users of Revit Architecture and Revit Structure users can try.

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/revit_structure_generator/

The technology preview that provides a connection between massing models and objects created during conceptual design and structural elements such as beams, column, walls, plates. With Project Structure Generator, structural engineers and architects, from the earliest stages, can very quickly create and visualize a physical and analytical model of a structure based on the massing model.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
43 REPLIES 43
Message 2 of 44
StewartGH
in reply to: scott.sheppard

Hi

Can we have some info and how to best create the masses as I keep getting the following error

Mesh elements are not found in the current selection.

Thanks

Message 3 of 44
julien_benoit
in reply to: StewartGH

Hi,

I have downloaded twice, installed twice; but there is still no button in the REX extensions ribbon, neither RST or RAC.

I have 2 addin files in the addins directory, named Autodesk.RevitStructureExtensions.Revit.addin and Autodesk.RevitArchitectureExtensions.Revit.addin.

built is 20110916f_2132(x64), update release 2.

help needed. Thanks.

PS: country: France

Message 4 of 44
Pawel_Kociolek
in reply to: StewartGH

1. Create contours on desired levels

2. Create form based on selected contours (option Create form)

3. Divide surfaces based on selected form (option Divide surface)

4. Apply meshing pattern in Properties dialog (f.ex. rectangle)

In-place families are not supported.

For famillies it will not be possible to update the file with structural elements

Message 5 of 44

Please, try the following:

For the moment you need to move  c:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Extensions 2012\Modules\Modeling\ABuildingGeneration\en-US\ ABuildingGeneration_revit.xml file into

c:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Extensions 2012\Modules\Modeling\ABuildingGeneration\Configuration directory.

Message 6 of 44

Thanks Pawel, it works now.

I will add something to your previous comment:

1- new family, Mass

2- create form

3- divide mass

4- load in the project

5- run structure generator

more feedback to come....

Message 7 of 44

Updated version is available for download. List of corrections:

1) Problem with installation on non-english systems

2) Problem with selection on viewer (caused by incorrect contour presentation)

3) Problem with beams position in case of masses with irregular shape

4) Help file updated (screenshots with examples)

An old version should be unistalled before.

Message 8 of 44

For the moment, if you have installed the latest version (from 29.11.2011) without installing the previous one (from 23.11.2011), the application may not run on 64-bit machines. (A message  Assembly name: ABuildingGeneration: Method not found: 'Void CBSEngine.IRobinViewDisplay.ShowObjectsAndShadows(CBSEngine.IGeoObjects, CBSEngine.IGeoObjects)'.... will be displayed)

In this case, one should unpack and copy manually the attached file into directory  C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared\Extensions 2012\Framework\Interop\

Message 9 of 44

The corrected installer has been posted on the Autodesk Labs web site. The file name is Revit_Structure_Generator4.exe. This will avoid the problem for people who have yet to download the technology preview. Users who are experiencing the problem can uninstall and install this corrected version.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 44

Anyone knows why it doesn't work with a circular structure?

I'tried a silo with the shape of a cilinder, but the default structure generated looks very strange, even if I take a smaller mesh.

Also when I manualy enter two curved structural lines to make a circle I can't generate a grid.

Message 11 of 44

Circular lines are not supported in the current version. For the moment, the workaround is to generate a polygon with appropriate number of edges (so to use discretisation)

Regards

Paweł Kociołek

Message 12 of 44

thx for the quick response

it workst now, it's a fun extension to play with

if I might add a suggestion: make different objects of the diagrids and beams, so they can have different crossections and also the diagrids analytical line should be at the center by default.

the circular structural line within the structure generator also doesn't work properly, but I asume this has to do with the same as mentioned in the previous post

greetz,

Meint

Message 13 of 44

Thank you for your feedback.

OK for different sections for diagrids. I also think about adding division for primary and secondary beams (with different cross sections) and also adding truss (with some parametrisation) as a new object.

Circular lines made by hand are not supported yet.

Generated analytical model should be correct and ready for calculations (analytical lines for linear elements are always in axes).

Regards

Paweł Kociołek

Message 14 of 44

sounds good!

it would also be very helpful if some grid manipulations would be added in future, for example to use polar grids, or to rotate your grid

regards,

Meint

Message 15 of 44
marcin

Could Autodesk start releasing their great technological breaktroughs after they have been a bit more tested and refined? You do not need a rocket scientist to figure out all those little things which do not work before the tool is made public and become another disappointment .....

Message 16 of 44
marcin

It still does not work on a 64bit machine. Tested a family with single rectangular, divided and patterned surface - the simpliest possible. When loading such family there is a warning that "Family contains only mesh (...)" But when it is selected for the Structure Generator another message informs that "Mesh elements are not found in the current selection" .....  My test file is attached. Could somebody please explain what I did wrong?

Message 17 of 44

Hi

you have to set the pattern of the divided surface to rectangular. It has none in your family. should work with that.

Message 18 of 44

I assume, that you would like to use this pyramid shape. When I edited this mass, I noticed that meshing pattern is not applied. I enclose modified file with rectangular pattern added. After, it is correctly imported to Structure Generator.

I hope it solves your problem.

Best regards

Paweł Kociołek

Software Development Manager

Message 19 of 44

Hi Pawel,

I can't use SG with a 64b machine. any information about this?

Message 20 of 44

Hi Julien

Could you tell what message do you receive on 64 bit machine? I assume, that you have installed the latest update (from 2011.05.12)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report