Revit MEP Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit MEP Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit MEP topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parametric Flange With Bolt Holes

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
Hugh_Compton
4064 Views, 12 Replies

Parametric Flange With Bolt Holes

Hello

I've just spent a whole day trying to make a parametric flange with bolt holes.  I can't make the bolt holes subtract from the flange?  I had to nest the flange into a family, then turn it into a group in order to get the bolt holes at the correct orientation.  Any help appreciated.  Or if anyone can post a parametric flange with bolt holes that would also be appreciated. 

Thanks

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Hugh_Compton
in reply to: Hugh_Compton

Ah, drongo - I should have made the extrusions as voids.  Corrected version attached.

I have used a parameter called Angle2 to rotate the group depending on how many bolt holes there are.  This works but is there a better way to rotate a circular array?

Thanks

Message 3 of 13
lanl

Hi Hugh_Compton,

I checked the rfa file you attached, for the radial array, you can draw a void, and constrain it to the location you need, then select this void, use radial array, set the rotation center, then set Number, and Angle to 360, then press Enter key on keyboard, this array is finished. Then set a Number parameter for the array. See attachment "array.JPG".

Thanks. 

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Lei Lan
Message 4 of 13
Hugh_Compton
in reply to: lanl

Thanks for looking at this problem.  I have made three attempts but can't get the voids to cut the flange body

Attempt 1) Failed Array

I created the void & constrained its location using parameters A and B.  (A=cos(Angle) x PCR, B=sin(Angle) x PCR) see image attached.

I proceeded to create the array in the order you suggested and….nothing happened! No array was formed and no error messages either?

Attempt 2) Failed Array

I created the void in its own separate family with the constraints as per Attempt 1).  I then created a new family and inserted the ‘void family’.  I then tried to create the array as per your instructions…..nothing! no errors!

Attempt 3) Array works!!!! BUT voids do not cut the flange body

As per attempt 2 albeit no positional contraints in the void family - only on the void family AFTER it has been nested into the host family.  Array now works - voids do not cut?  I have made the void family using the generic face based template.  In the void familt I have also ticked 'Cut With Voids When Loaded'.  The host family is also of 'Generic Model' type. 

I need to show bolt holes on my stainless steel fabrications.  I work on projects that invole flanges at odd angles: without the bolt holes being shown my fabricators wouldn't know which orientation to weld the flanges at.  Here's a link to one of my projects showing the odd angled fabrications: http://youtu.be/REAg4Viu34w

Message 5 of 13
rosskirby

Before you create the array of the void family, try creating a circular reference line to control the array diameter/radius, and a straight reference line to control the angle/placement of the array instance.  Align and lock the end of the reference line to the vertical and horizontal reference planes that define the center of the circle, then create an angular parameter to control the placement of the first instance of the void.  Alternatively, if the angle isn't important, but the number of holes is, then place the first instance of the void at the intersection of the reference circle and the reference plan that defines the center of the circle.

In general, tying geometry, especially arrayed geometry, to reference planes and reference lines is more stable than trying to tie the parameter to the geometry itself.

Good luck! (radial parameters can be a pain)

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 6 of 13
Hugh_Compton

Thanks for the reply Ross. 

How can the circular reference line be linked to the array diameter/radius?  I can only do this through a nested family - which works but then the voids do not cut the flange body.

I'm in a catch 22 - I cannot create the flange in just one family and control the arrays radius through a paraemter - it has to be a nested family for this to work.  But when the family is nested the voids don't cut? 

Message 7 of 13
rosskirby

Try making the voids a face-based generic model, and then host them to the face of the flange in your parent model.  That way you've got a nested void that will cut.

To link the array diameter to the radius of the circular reference line, you don't actually link the two together with dimensions or contraints, you would go into the Family Types dialog in the family editor, and set the Array Radius parameter equal to the circular reference line radius.  That way changing one, changes the other, but they're still semi-independent entities.  The circular reference line is there to control the path of the array more than the radius.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 8 of 13
Hugh_Compton

Hi Ross

On my post labelled attempt 3 I have attached the family which has the voids created as 'face based' and nested so that the array can have parameters added.  The voids aren't cutting the flange though......

I have created a circular reference line on the attached RFA.  It has the radius parameter linked to the array radius ..... but I don't see what this achieves? (Note: I have included the type catalog text file).

Message 9 of 13
rosskirby

You need to go into your void family, go to the modify tab, and choose cut, then pick the void and the host face.  Right now, your void hasn't been told to cut anything, so it's just getting hosted as a void model in the parent family.  I made it cut, then loaded it back into the parent family, and it cuts the host object.  You'll have to recreate the ones that are arrayed after you reload the family, though.  Something weird happening with the ones that are in groups already.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 10 of 13
Hugh_Compton

Hi Ross

Thanks for your patience with this, I am definitely getting closer.  I have started both families from scratch again.  The bolt hole voids were started using the generic face based template.  The host family was started with a generic tamplate.  The nested voids now cut - good news. 

Now the array doesn't work with the following area:

"Group instances of the same type do not contain identical members.  Press "Fix Groups..." to select from options to make the groups consistent.
Corresponding group members in different group instances diverge in the following respects:
- different positions relative to the group origin"

Clicking 'Fix Groups' doesn't work...

Message 11 of 13
rosskirby

I think the problem is that you're inputting 360 in the angle for the polar array, and it's causing an overlap of the last instance, and that's giving it fits.  Just manually draw out the radial extent to be something like 45 degrees to create the array, then manually drag the extents to 360 degrees, and it works fine.  Then you can click on the temporary dimensions of the array to set the radius (no need for a cirucular reference line as I suggested earlier, sorry), and assign a parameter for the quantity.  Seems to work OK then.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com
Message 12 of 13
Hugh_Compton
in reply to: rosskirby

It works now! Thanks Ross.

My main problem was that the array would work on the family but when I tried to 'flex' it to a different size Revit would refuse to change the array.  Simple fix was to ignore the dimensions A and B (see earleir posts) and just use the pitch circle diameter that the bolt holes were on.  Also, ignore rotating the array in the family that hosted the array. 

I used three families in the end - the host being the one that held the rotation angle (I still had to use a group in order to rotate the array without errors occuring when flexing the various sizes). 

As an added bonus I added a shared parameter instance angle - meaning that when the flange is in a project and requires an 'odd' angle I can simply change the shared angle parameter. 

All working well so far but I will continue to do more testing. 

Thanks for your help people. 

Message 13 of 13
rosskirby

Awesome, glad you got it to work.  Trying to have circles, arrays, and angular parameters all in one family was an ambitious task; I'm glad you were able to pull it off.

Ross Kirby
Principal
Dynamik Design
www.dynamikdesign.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report