Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

font mapping

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
clippincott-CL
2209 Views, 5 Replies

font mapping

I am having difficulty getting the .shx font we use in ACAD to map to the TTF font we are using in Revit.

In ACAD, we use "architxt.shx" and have the "use big font" box checked and "supersub.shx" selected as the "big font".  In Revit's "shxfontmap.txt" file I have mapped both "architxt.shx" and "supersub.shx" to "architxt.ttf", each on seperate lines.

I must not have done it right because when I bring ACAD drawings into my Revit files the text ends up being something other than "architxt.ttf"

From my description above can anyone tell what I am doing wrong?  Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks in advance for any help offered.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: clippincott-CL

The way I understand it, Revit can only use True Type fonts, which are installed in C:/Windows/Fonts.

I think trying to map a .shx font into Revit will not work.

Consider using a similar True Type Font like Architxt.ttf

see this:

http://forums.augi.com/showthread.php?p=1103621#post1103621

cheers

Message 3 of 6
clippincott-CL
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks but I think you may have misunderstood what I'm trying to do.  I'm not trying to get Revit to use shx fonts, only to convert them to ttf fonts.  Here's what Revit help says about it:

"When you import AutoCAD drawings that contain text, you can map the AutoCAD SHX fonts to TrueType fonts so they appear correctly in Revit MEP. You can map to any of your existing fonts.

NoteFor SHX fonts that are not mapped, Revit MEP will use a similar font, but the results are unpredictable.

To map TrueType fonts

1. Open the shxfontmap.txt file in a text editor.

This file resides in the Data folder of the Revit MEP installation directory.

2. On a new line, enter the SHX file name.
  3. Press Tab.
  4. Enter the name of the font to map it to.
  5. Save and close the file."

So, I have done what Revit suggested, mapped my ACAD fonts in the "shxfontmap.txt" file but it doesn't seem to be working.

Anyone who understands this process know what I might be doing wrong?

Message 4 of 6

It sounds as if you have a regular SHX and a Big Font SHX assigned to the same Truetype font is the first problem. The next problem is that mapping a Big Font to a Truetype won't work. There is no mapping between the functions of the Big Font and a Truetype font. Those special characters would have to be added to the Truetype. And special functions like creating fractions, etc. will never be the same in the Truetype as they were in the SHX.

David William Edwards

David William Edwards
Dave Edwards Consulting
Message 5 of 6

Thanks David, I will try not using the "Big Font" in our ACAD font before I insert files into Revit and see if that works.

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: clippincott-CL

Or better yet, use the Architxt TTF in AutoCad as well. No more issues working with Revit.

cheers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report