Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit on Mac

220 REPLIES 220
SOLVED
Message 1 of 221
anader1407
104537 Views, 220 Replies

Revit on Mac

Hi why dont make  mac revit architecture I think is as important as the pc

thanks
220 REPLIES 220
Message 2 of 221
alan.quinn
in reply to: anader1407

See this link for a details on Mac-compatible products: http://usa.autodesk.com/products/mac-compatible-products

My guess is this is as good as it going to get for now. If you like I’d suggest leaving feedback at the below link. Information gathered is used to improve the application.

Product Contact Link:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/index?siteID=123112&id=1109794

Thanks for posting. 

Message 3 of 221
Soundtree

The sad thing is that Mac is eating more and more of the computer market, and Autodesk don't seem to care. If Revit could run properly on Windows on Mac it would be ok, but in my office we have so much problems with incompatible graphic cards that it is almost not worth it.

We love Mac and we love Revit, but it is sad that Autodesk don't do more to better the situation.

Message 4 of 221
alan.quinn
in reply to: Soundtree

This is a work in progress. I'm not sure where it will end up, but perhaps in the not to distance future things like this will be possible. Thanks for posting.

Message 5 of 221
kfandrich
in reply to: alan.quinn

We have often discussed moving to the Mac platform, but the issue always is that Revit doesn't support Mac. Mac has been, for many years, the preferred choice of design oriented people. It would be great for Autodesk to recognise this and make Revit available for the Mac as well. We're hoping it happens!

Message 6 of 221
rgwhatley
in reply to: kfandrich

Revit is not an industry standard (yet) if they don't do it then they will get left behind as architects will just use what software is available on mac. I'd say 8 out of 10 sole practitioners and students are on mac (not to mention the rest of the non cad based design industry) Autodesk are fools for not porting Revit over to mac (Max to me isn't so important as there is Maya). OSX is simply a better and more productive operating system for any design based work (particuarly print) 

Message 7 of 221

Revit for MacOS doesn`t exist... are you serious?Millions of people and lots of Architects and Designers are using Mac and you don`t want them to buy Revit?
I really want to use your software but I will not have Windows on my Mac. Just like you don`t want rotten tomatos in your salad...
It`s just sad that theres no proper solution for Mac-Users... I`m sure that I`m not the first one to tell you that.
And I won`t be the last.

Message 8 of 221
vector2
in reply to: scheible.robert

Here are stats from an actual Market Share company:

92.7% Windows
5.12% Mac
0.95% Linux

Message 9 of 221
vector2

It's like asking car makers to build cars that drive

on water because 5.12% of drivers want to do that. 

Message 10 of 221
scheible.robert
in reply to: vector2

5.12% potential customers... actually more than I thought... pretty many people!

the cars are a nice comparison, by the way.

hummer H2, Mercedes C, BMW 1.... what do you think for how many % of the car drivers those cars are built?

Message 11 of 221
scheible.robert

You want to tell me that Microsoft Office for Mac is made not because of the profit?

You want to tell me that Microsoft Cinema4D for Mac is made not because of the profit?

You want to tell me that VectorWorks for Mac is made not because of the profit?

You want to tell me that ArchiCAD for Mac is made not because of the profit?

need more examples?

They made it because 5.12% want it.

Message 12 of 221
rgwhatley

@Anonymous wrote:

Here are stats from an actual Market Share company:

92.7% Windows
5.12% Mac
0.95% Linux

That's actually disingenuous, designers overwhelmingly prefer mac (as the product is better designed and more intuitive - the OS in partcular is more suited to graphics based design work) the number of architects that use macs are much higher than the average - in fact if you go to universities 80%+ of students are on the mac, and almost all of the lecturers are. Most sole practitioners are too. Outside of the CAD world (apart from animation which is split 50/50 mac/pc) the mac is industry standard in virtually all design/creative fields (web design is the exception but again it is split 50/50). I reckon the only reason that windows pcs are the norm in the architectural profession is simply the result of software availability. Almost all of the architects I know prefer macs to pc's. 
Message 13 of 221
rgwhatley

@scheible.robert wrote:

You want to tell me that Microsoft Office for Mac is made not because of the profit?

You want to tell me that Microsoft Cinema4D for Mac is made not because of the profit?

You want to tell me that VectorWorks for Mac is made not because of the profit?

You want to tell me that ArchiCAD for Mac is made not because of the profit?

need more examples?

They made it because 5.12% want it.

Maxon Cinema 4D (You forgot Maya and Lightwave too also the entire Adobe suite, Autocad, Rhino etc)

Message 14 of 221
sdalrymple

The survey shows those percentages because of the availability.

I think if you done a survey on Windows / MAC users, and asked if they would change if it became available on the MAC, a lot of people would change their system, not the software.

I know I would.

I only use windows because Revit works with the operating system.

Message 15 of 221
steve
in reply to: rgwhatley

A Stalinist era approach to product development.    I am held hostage to the operating system because the software developer gives only one choice.  

. Edited by
Discussion_Admin

Message 16 of 221
andrew-cocke

I teach Revit to about 80 architecture students a year, about 4/5 of whom use bootcamp on Mac, as have I for many years.  I recently purchased a new Macbook Pro with Retina Display with the Nvidia 650M graphics card with 1G RAM, and have installed Windows 8 on Bootcamp.  I was VERY disappointed when I loaded Revit that the toolbars don't display AND the model which is visible on opening, disappears the moment I try to change views.  I've downloaded the latest drivers from Nvidia and Apple, but nothing works.  I'm prepared for some driver problems, but I didn't expect the program to be unusable.

When I looked on the Revit site, I saw that no cards were approved for either Windows 8 or Nvidia's 600 series cards.  What gives.  There are so many people running Revit on powerful gaming laptops.  When will the drivers be updated?!!!

Tags (1)
Message 17 of 221
steve

Andrew - I'd really like to hear if you have any further success with Revit on Macbook Retina Pro.   I would prefer to use Apple system but as a REVIT user am always stymied.   I went to the apple store fully intending to purchase the new retina pro, convinced that its +/-2800 dpi display would make it a viable portable way to use Revit.  the "business wizard" or whatever they are called in Apple-ville was a young woman about 19 years old in short-shorts and a pierced and tattooed assistant (just relaying the visual) who was quite certain that a Revit install was absolutely do-able (just use Partitions, easy, no we won't install it).   I asked for a follow up, just find me someone that's ACTUALLY doing it.  She couldn't find anyone.  Why should they?  I read that the apple store is the most profitable retail space in the world at over $6,000/ SF.  The next thing closer was Tiffany's at about $,3,400, BestBuy at $800.  The customers were practically clubbing each other over the head to get near the shiny little apples. 

As a very early adopter of Revit, perennially waiting for Revit for Mac, my bet is not to bet on it.  Apple can say "take it or leave it".  Autodesk folks have been murmuring "in the works, maybe" for as long as I can remember.  I just want to know if there is a path somewhere in the middle from  real user. 

Message 18 of 221
steve
in reply to: andrew-cocke

one question - did you try it with installing windows 7 not 8

Message 19 of 221
rgwhatley

Why would someone use windows 8 in a professional environment anyway?

Message 20 of 221
andrew-cocke

I teach Revit to about 80 university students every year.  More than half use Bootcamp Macs as do I.  I've never had any major incompatibility issues until now, I have a new Retina Mac with bootcamp and (unfortunatly) Windows 8.  Revit has slowed to a crawl.  Autodesk can't afford to dismiss the fact that designers WANT a well designed computer (if not OS) on which to do their work.  Autodesk has to work this out.  It is unacceptable to simply say that Revit works on some computers but not others.  And we don't have time to deal with fingerpointing between Autodesk and Microsoft.  If Autodesk can't work reliably with Windows because Microsoft's undisciplined OS development, then why not invest the time it would take to port to Mac.  McNeel is doing it with Rhino and while it is far from complete, it remains a viable options.  McNeel to its credit has also been very transparent about its plans to develop for Mac. 

For my part, I just want Revit to work on my Windows 8 machine.  Nevermind that it is a retina bootcamp mac.  Just make it work!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report