Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Revit Families - rotation in an elevation view

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
adave
9240 Views, 8 Replies

Revit Families - rotation in an elevation view

For some time now, I've been trying to figure out how to tilt an object up in an elevation view.  Starting out as a "Noob", I had no idea what I was getting into originally, including how hard it would be to perform this "simple" operation.   I found many tutorials on rotating in "plan views" (such as door swing and furniture).  However, when it came to rotating in elevation (tilting an object on edge), I found nothing but halfway solutions that didn't work for me.

Putting together aspects of many contributors to this and other Revit forums, as well as simple examples posted by others, I have come up with a method for rotating a box in elevation  (left, right, front, or back views).  In addition to the ability to rotate the box up from Reference Level, the box is sizable using parametric dimensions for length, width, and height.

I came upon the solution this morning, so the method is probably incomplete, and refinements will surely follow.   However, I hope that it gives others some ideas on how to proceed in tilting objects in elevation, and saves them the frustration I experienced.

See attached pdf.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
Alfredo_Medina
in reply to: adave

It is not recommended to create an object and try to rotate it in the same family. It creates 'constraints errors' . The recommended workflow is to create the object in its own file, a Family 1, then do the rotation angle in a Family 2, where Family 1 is nested in. The advantage is that the object created in Family 1 works as a whole unit, as a block, in Family 2.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 3 of 9
adave
in reply to: Alfredo_Medina

Alfredo,

I received similar guidance in another forum, and am presently working the nesting technique into the method. It will be an improvement, as nesting makes sense in adding flexibility.  My goal is to create a step by step method that can be used by anyone with a working knowledge of Family Editor.  Lots of piecemeal guidance out there, which leaves lots of opportunities to get off track during the process (I speak from experience).

Message 4 of 9
adave

Attached is a method that I came up with to accomplish the task. Feel free tro comment with suggested improvements.

Message 5 of 9
Alfredo_Medina

I commented on this already in the Augi > Families forum. This is the path that we have been recommending: nested families. As you have seen, it is possible to rotate objects without using nested families, but just simple boxes, and with a lot of struggle. More complex than a box, and it won't work. Therefore, nested families is the way to go to create rotations, even two or three different rotations.

Alfredo Medina _________________________________________________________________ ______
Licensed Architect (Florida) | Freelance Instructor | Autodesk Expert Elite (on Revit) | Profile on Linkedin
Message 6 of 9

Rotating generic model in elevation is a pain. 

I've nested few families with reference lines and rotation works until I enter 180°. After that, angle dimension escapes somewhere and after that I can't get to work with angles it worked before (45° and so)...  ("Constrains not satisfied"!!!!)

I needed a generic family (extrusion) that can rotate to any angle (around some point). Meaning, entering angles -32, 180, 45, 15 or -568854 should not be a problem.

Good news is, I've found a WAY TO DO THIS. I will post it here so it can help someone else.

My solution:

1) I've created Detail Item family which will hold my profile geometry (I've also added some parameters, width, height, and so on)

2) In that Detail item, I've added Reference LINE and lock one end of it to intersection of reference planes in Detail Item

3) I've created Generic Model family and load detail item in one of elevation views. I will use that Detail item to lock extrusion boundaries to it. After inserting Detail Item to elevation view, lock it's center point (end of it's reference line) to intersection of Generic family reference planes.

TRICKY PART:

4) In generic model family, (in elevation view where Detail Item is placed) I've added Reference LINE and lock it's end to intersecion of reference planes. It is tilted for 45° from horizontal reference plane. This will be "run away" reference line. What it means is that angle of detail item will be measured from "run away" reference line. "Run away" reference line must run away from angles such as those muliples of 45°, so next parameters are needed:

Angle (angle)

Ref_angle (angle)

Final_angle (angle)

Is_it_45multiple (yes/no)

Parameter "Is_it_45multiple" checks our Angle parameter value and tries to divide it by 45.

Since Revit doesn't have modulo operator, next trick will be used:

Is_it_45multiple = ROUNDOWN( Angle / 45° ) = ROUNDUP( Angle / 45° )

What it does is very simple, it divides the Angle by 45 and round it up and down. If both of those rounded numbers are same, Angle is divisible by 45°, and in such case "Run away" reference Line must run away to another angle, for example 5°.

Formulaes for other parameters are:

Ref_angle = IF(Is_it_45multiple, 5°, 45°)

Final_angle = Angle + Ref_angle

5) In the end, "Run away" reference LINE angle must be parametrized with "Ref_angle" parameter, and Detail item reference Line (not easy to find, pressing tab few times should do the trick) angle must be measured from "Run away" reference line and have "Final_angle" parameter assigned.

6) FINALLY: Create new extrusion and lock it's profile boundaries to detail Items lines.

Changing "Angle" parameter to any value should propery rotate the object.

Tested. It works.

Regards,

If this solved your issue, please Accept it as Solution help other forum users with similar issues to find answers easily.

Mirko Jurcevic

My blog: www.engipedia.com
Try my Revit add-ins: Autodesk App Store
Message 7 of 9
WholeLLC
in reply to: Mirko.Jurcevic

Trying to get this to work right now and having some trouble.  Has anyone here been able to make this work?  

Message 8 of 9
WholeLLC
in reply to: WholeLLC

Okay, I just got this to work!  Anyone else having trouble I'd be happy to help. 

Message 9 of 9
Mark.Friis

I have seen a few ways which works:

- Nested families

- Nested Families in an adaptive family

- Rotational parameters within the family itself

- uncheck vertical and check work plane based

- Rotating the Work plane itself after setting the family

- Placing the Family on top of another family to use as a work plane

- Creating a family by using a family template which allows for unidirectional Rotation. These Templates are Standalone which means, that they dont need a Host. Examples of standalone families include furniture, appliances, duct, and fittings.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report