Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Opening Old Revit Files - Effect on Archiving?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
paul.ashley
1894 Views, 2 Replies

Opening Old Revit Files - Effect on Archiving?

I found an example Revit file on an old Autodesk "gallery" page, a completely documented library project.  I downloaded it but after several error messages, it won't open.

My concern is how this affects the archiving of Revit projects.  I have ten-year-old AutoCAD R13 files that I can open.  Some must be recovered but they nevertheless do open.

Since Revit upgrades do not support backwards compatibility and it seems they may also not always support forward compatibility, an inability to open an old Revit file, even if uncommon, has huge implications for Revit's use for facilities management and just plain archiving for future use. 

Has Autodesk considered how this issue can be resolved?  Are we supposed to upgrade all active and inactive files with every new version of Revit?  Alarge AE firm would find this a bit difficult to do.

We're just making the decision to move to Revit but this issue has me worried.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
loboarch
in reply to: paul.ashley

I have only seen this issue once before with an older Revit file not being able to be upgraded.  When I came across the problem I was able to "baby step" it up a couple of versions at a time.  Our product support team has access to much older (more than 3 releases ago) versions of Revit and can probably get files upgraded if you ever run into difficulty.

That being said, I think this problem is exceedingly rare.

Jeff Hanson
Principal Content Experience Designer
Revit Help |
Message 3 of 3
paul.ashley
in reply to: paul.ashley

Thanks for the response.  Nursing it through several versions could work but only if those versions were around.  As owners and developers we often open AutoCAD files form projects done in 1993 and it's nice that AutoCAD doesn't require you to keep all interveneing version around to do it.  I realize that that ability has quite possilby hindered AutoCAD's development but it still can be an issue.  At the least it would be nice to have a conversion program that works in batch mode and desn't require files to be opened, the way True Convert does with AutoCAD.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report