Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to make Autodesk Revit run more smoothly with 8-core?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
4003 Views, 4 Replies

How to make Autodesk Revit run more smoothly with 8-core?

Hi,

My computer has 8 cores. When the Autodesk Revit is running, the computer shows that only one of the eight cores is processing. The other seven cores are not being used at that time. How can I use the other seven cores together to make the Autodesk Revit run more smoothly and quickly?

My processor model number is Intel(R) Core(TM)i7 CPU  950 @  3.07GHz   3.07GHz

Looking forward to your soonest reply.

Best regards & Thanks,

Kevin

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
ccollins
in reply to: 732861

Revit does not use all CPU cores constantly--only for certain tasks/functions. (Autodesk has documentation explaining which tasks are multi-threaded.)

The CPU should be as fast (clock speed) as you cann afford--i.e. it is better to have a single CPU at 3.6 Ghz

than (2) quad cores running at 2.5 Ghz.

The 2 other factors which improve performance are RAM---how much memory does your machine have?

Our default new HP Z420 are running 24 GB min., some with 32 GB or more.

The Graphics Card has also become a bit more impoortant esp. with the new display modes in Revit 2013.

A good GPU with 2 GB memory will help.

cheers

Cliff B. Collins
Registered Architect/BIM Manager
Thalden Boyd Emery Architects
St. Louis, MO
Message 3 of 5
manishslade

i have the same problem. I m running an 8 core 4.4ghz hyperthreading proccersor , with 16 gb of 1633 clock speed of ram and a gtx 780oc 3 gb graphic card. now my file has become close to 70mb and it stops for a second while paning or rotating in the 3d mode.

sujjest me ways how i can improve my revit userbility and i m using revit 2015.

Thank you , 

hoping for a reply,

yours truthfully.

Message 4 of 5
chrisplyler
in reply to: manishslade

Set your 3D view Detail Level lower.

Set your 3D view Visual Style lower.

Make your 3D view Graphics Display Options simpler. Turn off anti-aliasing and shadows.

Hide in View > By Category all the interior families, such as cabinets, furniture, fixtures, steel structure, ceilings, etc. that you don't need to see in a 3D view looking only at the exterior.

Hide in View > By Category all the exterior site families and the exterior walls to have a view of just the floors and interior stuff.

Divide any large 3D view into smaller 3D views...Duplicate it a few times and turn on Section Box in each, limiting each view to only certain areas. For example, you might choose to make a 3D-1ST-FLR, a 3D-2ND-FLR, etc.

Use Worksets!

Message 5 of 5
cpalm

Also consider breaking your model up into different worksets. Then closing the unneeded ones. We routinely have files over 150mb and that is the only way to manage them.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report