Revit Architecture Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit Architecture Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit Architecture topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Edit Group box disappeared - REVIT 2011

17 REPLIES 17
SOLVED
Message 1 of 18
darbelaez
42485 Views, 17 Replies

Edit Group box disappeared - REVIT 2011

When I'm in the Group Edit mode, the box disappeared and I have no way to close the group.  This is in Revit Architecture 2011.

17 REPLIES 17
Message 2 of 18
ryan.duell
in reply to: darbelaez

I would test the following related to this issue:
1.  Use the keyboard shortcut FG, for Finish Group.  See if this will at least let you exit group edit mode.
2.  Next, if using 2 monitors ensure the toolbar isn’t on a second monitor.
3.  Lastly, reset the Revit 2011 UI using the following process in the technical solution below:
Resetting the Autodesk Revit Architecture 2011 user interface

I would test the following related to this issue:

1.  Use the keyboard shortcut FG, for Finish Group.  See if this will at least let you exit group edit mode.
2.  Next, if using 2 monitors ensure the toolbar isn’t on a second monitor.
3.  Lastly, reset the Revit 2011 UI using the following process in the technical solution below:

Resetting the Autodesk Revit Architecture 2011 user interface

Ryan Duell
Message 3 of 18
hai.k.le

This happens periodically for us in plan view.

This workaround worked for us:

1. Open a 3D view.

2. Initiate Group Edit by editing a group or Create a New Group.

3. Dock the Edit Group toolbar.

4. Cancel or Finish Group Edit.

Message 4 of 18
kilborn

This could happen with a lot of programs if your occasionally using dual monitors.  Change the settings of your display to only be on one monitor, close Revit (windows left and right can move windows between screens).  Open Revit, edit a group and attach it to the panel (upper right) - then reset the display to use both monitors.

Message 5 of 18
hankspielberg
in reply to: kilborn

Yeah I noticed something like that too.  More of a user glitch (switching between tabs) than a bug though.  It's there but somehow it hides till you either switch views or menus.

Hank

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous

If you prefer the Edit Group Box pallette buttons rather than the shortcut keys (CG, FG, RG, AG), try this to restore the pallette in Revit 2011:

1.  Within the same Revit session that you are having difficulty with your Edit Group box, open a NEW Revit file (.rvt) with an empty blank template file (.rte). You can press CTRL+N as well.

2.  Draw a couple of lines and create a simple group ('CG' are the shortcut keys).

3.  Select the simple line group and Edit Group.

4.  The Edit Group box should hopefully appear somewhere in its free-floating position.

5.  Drag and Dock the Edit Group Box pallette up onto the ribbon. 

6.  Return to your other Revit file (.rvt) that was giving you trouble, and try to Edit Group again.

7.  The Edit Group Box pallette should now be docked to your ribbon.

Message 7 of 18
Anonymous

If all that fails do a File>Save.

That was the only thing that eventually helped the panel re-fressh.

I've have now docked that panel.

AutoDesk really should fix this sort of thing somehow, even though I suspect it has as much to do with the Windows interface.

Message 8 of 18
john804

So this thread may be a bit dated, but I'm hoping you're all still subscribed to it 🙂

I notice a lot of your workarounds involve "redocking" the edit group box to the ribbon.  My problem is different. The edit group box is ALREADY docked in the ribbon, but it only appears when I activate a group by clicking on it, and it's a faded green color that's different than the rest of the boxes.  The box disappears as soon as I click "edit group".

Ironically, I can use (and prefer, actually) the keyboard shortcuts, but the only one not working is the AG (Add to group I assume?) and that's the only thing I really want to do right now!

So two requests: 1. Has someone solved this problem without an extensive workaround? and B. Can someone remind me where the "pgp file" equivalent is for Revit so I can verify "AG" is included in it?  I used to know, but that was another life...

Any advice/help would be appreciated.

John

Message 9 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: john804

Shortcut for Finish Group Edit = FG.

Shrotcut to open Keyboard shortcuts (PGP equivalent): KS

Message 10 of 18
zaklee

Did you figure this out yet? I'm having the same problem AND KS does nothing for me in Revit 2011 Web Update 2

Message 11 of 18
ToanDN
in reply to: zaklee

Try FG shortcut (Finish Group Editing).  KS is a shorcut to open the keyboard shortcut list.

Message 12 of 18
zaklee

Yeah. Got that.

My post was directed to the person who's problem goes beyond finishing the groups. In his post, the add to group (AG) shortcut isn't working and the dialog (which also contains the add to group button) isn't visible.

All is the same for me AND the KS shortcut does notuing so I can't verify or edit keyboard shortcuts.

Thanks anyway.

Message 13 of 18
TBOMS
in reply to: zaklee

Im having the same problem. No way to close the 'Edit Group' view, except for CG (Cancel) or the other keyboard shortcuts mentioned above

As far as 'KS' goes, I had to go into the User Interface and make it the shortcut for 'Keyboard Shortcuts'

Message 14 of 18
LyndonSFO
in reply to: TBOMS

I found a simple Undo "Ctrl+Z" worked and I was able to close/finish the group.

Message 15 of 18
ASilva
in reply to: LyndonSFO

thanks! this worked for me

Message 16 of 18
Viveka_CD
in reply to: LyndonSFO

@LyndonSFO wrote:

I found a simple Undo "Ctrl+Z" worked and I was able to close/finish the group.

Hi @LyndonSFO

The previous post by @TBOMS was from 2011. Smiley Happy

Can you please specify the Revit version you are using? This will help the community seeking similar solutions.

There could be several reasons why a function as an 'edit group' is not responding. If you can share a journal I can take a closer look to determine the cause.

I can split this thread if applicable to a newer version.

@ASilva 

If you find the post by @LyndonSFO has solved your issue, please click on 'Accept as solution' This will help others find answers more quickly.

Please note: Installing the latest product updates and security fixes for your Revit version is good practice and helps resolves issues described in the release notes.

Thank you!

Message 17 of 18
craig.mcniven2
in reply to: Viveka_CD

Wow, 10 years on and the issue still hasn't been resolved in ver 2020, who doesn't use more than one screen nowadays.

Anyway, the Ctrl-Z option didn't work with me, but the moving focus to a different monitor did, thanks for that.

Message 18 of 18
amarkonathala

Just do Undo The Group By Pressing Control+Z

This will comes when you are using dual monitors, or else u are working in the minimised layout windows

Try Checking On the two monitor Windows & elese By maximising the windows

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report

Autodesk Design & Make Report