I have multiple building pads in a model because I have multiple phases to represent. The problem I'm having is that the pads are cutting the topo surface in all phases. When I check the properties for each pads they all appear to bel properly identified as being created in the appropriate phase and yet there doesn't seem to be any way to turn off the building pad for future work in the existing conditions. See attached image.
I suppose the other possibility is that the pads are not really in the views, but the topo, having been excavated in one view,stays excavated in all views and won't fill in???
Can anyone explain this and tell me how to disable the pads where and when they're not needed? I've tried hiding the pad elements in the views, but that doesn't seem to do anything.
Perhaps adding a series of pads, one into each phase, would solve your problem.
I don't think Revit can keep track of the changes to the pad that occur differently in each phase. Would be nice if it could.
This question doesn't seem to have gotten much traction from anyone - maybe the answer is so simple that no one wants to bother, but I still haven't figured out what to do about building pads in new construction that show up in existing conditions. For now I'm working around it by deleting the new work building pad when I need to document an as-built condition. But surely there must be a better way.
Would someone please take a stab at this.
This is a limitation with Revit and how the host [toposurface] is cut by the building pad. You can reproduce this same behavior in a simple project as well.
The underlying issue is that the toposurface has 1 phase. You can have multiple pads on multiple phases, but when the toposurface is cut it creates an infill element which goes down and around the edge of the pad. While this infill has a phase as well, and can be overridden, there is no infill element for the portion of the toposurface cut at the top of the surface; which would show it as it was before the pad was added:
Also, for example, if you create a phase before any pads were added the toposurface will still display the opening:
This behavior is similar to some other Revit element types such as shaft openings. There is no ideal automatic approach for this scenario. It would be a manual workaround, such as creating a second toposurface and setting the correct phase information to fill in the opening so it is visible in the existing as covered but the second toposurface is demolished with the pad placement in the later phase:
Thanks Ryan, that's pretty much what I suspected - so what to do? You mentioned creating a new topo surface to cover the cut, but I tried that and couldn't get Revit to snap to the existing topo which is irregulary sloped and has a lot of corners. I figured that if I played with tweaking the new topo surface I could eventually get it close, but this would easily take several hours and the result would be less than perfect. Not very satisfactory.
For such a condition, do you recommend duplicating the model for existing conditions and just deleting all new construction elements? Or what? Is this something that future editions of Revit will address or is this a terminal disease with no hope of recovery?
Hi, I usually fix this creating one site in the existing phase (demolished in the existing phase) and a copy of that in 1st phase. It should work fine, but the problem is when I create a pad in the existing phase (this pad will remain forever and ever) it doesn't cut the site properly, because I have the other site on a different phase, well why is the site on the 1st phase appearing in the existing phase? If I delete it the pad cut the site correctly... Do you have any suggestion?
I understand it is a Revit limitation, but Is there any prevision to Autodesk fix this problem? It's been through many versions and is hard to explain to the client that the software doesn't accept phases for topography.
I have this same issue and I'm using Revit 2014. I cannot get the pads to stop cutting the topo in the correct phase. It is a disaster. I have tried everything I can think of. Graded regions don't seem to work either. Short of making a new file for each phase I cannot even come up with a desent work around. I have pads that are being created and demolished in different phases of the project.
If anyone from autodesk is ever looking at these boards, please please do somthing to improve site creation in Revit! It has to be the weakest part of the software. Site tools are next to useless. I hate pads!!! Our firm avoids them whenever possible.
I LOVE Revit, but this aspect of it blows chuncks!