Revit API Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Revit API Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Revit API topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2014 Revit Object Model

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
sbaldy
5993 Views, 12 Replies

2014 Revit Object Model

I am getting back into programming using the Revit API. The last version of the API that I used was 2010.  Back then there was a graphical representation of the Revit Object Model in PNG format (Revit API Class Diagram.png).  I have not been able to locate one for the Revit 2014 Object model.  Does anyone know if one exists?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
arnostlobel
in reply to: sbaldy

Hello sbaldy,

I am sorry, we haven't provided an API class chart since version 2012, I believe. The Revit API has been growing rapidly in the past years and it had become impractical at some point to try fit everything in one chart.

Arnošt Löbel

Autodesk Revit R&D

Arnošt Löbel
Message 3 of 13
jeremytammik
in reply to: arnostlobel

Dear Scott,

Thank you for your query.

Actually, the Revit 2010 version is indeed the last one known.

Here is a blog post explaining more details, what tools to use instead, and how you might be able to create one for yourself, if you really want to:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2012/01/no-revit-api-class-diagram.html

If you do decide to create one, please let us know. Thank you!

It also includes another copy of the Revit 2010 API class diagram that you provide above  🙂

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
Developer Technical Services
Autodesk Developer Network, ADN Open
The Building Coder

Message 4 of 13
kmiller
in reply to: jeremytammik

I tried to reply on the above post but don't think it went through.

Call me a little crazy but I actually like these things (visual diagrams of API).  For a person who doesn't know what exactly they are looking for in an API to do a certain function or item then it's really nice to quickly glance and be able to have a visual of how things are structured.  So the visual person in me likes them and can remember something on a diagram like this verses going through text documents a lot easier. I know it's a lot, but I have used the inventor object model chart for programs on numerous occasions.

JMO.  Thanks.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If this response answers your question please click "Accept as Solution".
Message 5 of 13
jeremytammik
in reply to: kmiller

Dear Kmiller,

Thank you for your opinion.

I did a quick check on the Internet and came up with the same autodiagrammer suggestion mentioned in the discussion on The Building Coder listed above, plus a neat suggestion on stackoverflow:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8152000/how-to-get-a-nice-class-diagram-for-built-in-net-classes#...

As far as I understand, it suggests using a tool built in to Visual Studio.

Would you like to try it on the Revit API and let us know what you come up with?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 6 of 13
pjohan13

Hi kmiller

I did a quick test of the approach described in the link Jeremy suggested. I can confirm that this works in Visual Studio 2013 - allthough I had to drag and drop from a class view instead of the object browser.

I've attached the result generated after a couple of 'expand/layout diagram'. When I zoom the pdf to about 1600% it's readable but I'm sure the layout can be improved with a little more effort 🙂 (It covers 2015 Revit.DB namespace by the way)

Regards

Peter

Message 7 of 13
jeremytammik
in reply to: pjohan13

Dear Peter,

That is absolutely fantastic!

Wow, thank you for trying it out!

I added it to The Building Coder samples in release 2015.0.120.1:

https://github.com/jeremytammik/the_building_coder_samples/releases/tag/2015.0.120.1

It really is very hard to navigate and read, though.

Now we just need a volunteer to format it nicely...

Maybe Sbaldy or Kmiller would like to jump in here?

Thank you!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 8 of 13
jeremytammik

Hey guys,

I published our discussion on The Building Coder:

http://thebuildingcoder.typepad.com/blog/2015/03/split-personality-and-revit-api-class-diagram.html

I also took the opportunity to announce my new blog, The 3D Web Coder:

http://the3dwebcoder.typepad.com

Exciting, and lots to do!

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 9 of 13
kmiller

Thank you guys so much I will take a look at the attachments.  I had replied to the email update for the forum. or thought I did but it didn't look like it got posted on the forum.  I am running visual Studio 2012 Express so I don't think there was the option for viewing the object Explorer.  Our IT department does have a full version so I was going to check with them.  But since you guys are so helpful I will take a peak at the files on here.  Will also keep looking to see if the option is in express.  

I did however get the Revit Look up tools on jeremy's site loaded as well and I think that will be of great benefit.

Thank you!  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 10 of 13
kmiller

PS - I don't blame you guys one bit for not wanting to keep up a visual.  There is definately a lot of stuff going on and also with things still changing every release I can imagine it's an extreme amount of work to try to keep it updated. 

Message 11 of 13
jeremytammik

Dear Kmiller,

I loaded the CD class diagram file in Visual Studio 2012.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 12 of 13
jeremytammik

We can keep this CD file nice and readable as a community effort, maybe as part of The Building Coder samples.

Jeremy Tammik
The Building Coder

Message 13 of 13
geometry777

Ridiculous, a multi-billion dollar software enterprise that cannot make their own API for Revit easy to find.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk DevCon in Munich May 28-29th

Rail Community