Community
Navisworks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Navisworks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Navisworks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Navisworks Manage Crashing

15 REPLIES 15
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
4158 Views, 15 Replies

Navisworks Manage Crashing

For some reason, when I try to open Navisworks Manage 2010, it just shuts right back down without opening. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it probably 5 times. I tried to uninstall it and delete all the files and I just uninstalled it and reinstalled it in a new location, hoping that might work.

The program was working fine one day, then the next day stopped working. The only thing I can think that I did different was install a windows update, but I have already uninstalled that update. I use a shared network license and the only time I can ever get Navisworks to even show me any screen at all after double clicking it is when the shared network file is not available. when that happens, it shows me that it's not available, then closes. Otherwise, I click it and I can see the roamer.exe file open in task manager for a few seconds, then it disappears.

Things I have tried:

I uninstalled using the Windows Install Clean Up program and then reinstalled.
I reinstalled it to a different directory.
I tried logging on as a different user and still got the same thing.
I tried running it as an administrator and still the same thing.
I had my IT dept. work on it and they did a chkdsk and reset my network settings and that didn't help.
I deleted my Temp folder file and restarted in safe mode with networking to see if that would help, but still nothing.

I'm not sure what else to do. Anything anybody knows to do to help?

Thanks,

Matt
15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
dennis
in reply to: Anonymous

Here is a "try this".
Go into the ProgramGroup and launch the "Navisworks Options Editor".
Then expand "Interface" and select "Display".
Toggle Hardware Acceleration, then close and try your Navisworks again.

I had a similar issue, and the toggle fixed me up.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

Thanks - I tried that and it didn't help. I also tried toggling the Occlusion Culling, but that didn't do anything either.

Any other ideas? How do I get Autodesk to help me out?
Message 4 of 16
susan_tate

Hi Matt,

Do you get an error message at all? Occasionally in Manage 2010 the saved workspace can fail to load because the file has become corrupt, although normally you would see an error message in that case.

Try deleting the LastSession.xml file in your user Documents and Settings directory. On Windows XP this would be located by the path:

C:\Documents and Settings\your user name\Application Data\Autodesk Navisworks Manage 2010\LastSession.xml

HTH, Susan

Susan Tate

Principal Engineer

Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

I don't receive any error message or anything. I tried deleting the lastsession.xml file. I even uninstalled it, deleted everything in the appdata folder relating to Navisworks and reinstalled it and still got nowhere. I just tried deleting the entire Autodesk folder in appdata (Roaming and Local) and tried starting it up. When I started it, it still didn't start up, but it did recreate the Autodesk folder and some Navisworks subfolders, so it appears to be doing something preliminary toward starting up, but something is failing.

Any other suggestions? I'm in the middle of coordinating a job in 3D and am desperate to get this working.

Thanks for your suggestions thus far.

Matt
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous

Try deleting the following folders (XP, if you use VISTA/WIN7 it is probobly placed somewhere else):

For Manage:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Autodesk\NAVMAN
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Autodesk\MC3

For Review:
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Autodesk\NAVREV
C:\Documents and Settings\[username]\Application Data\Autodesk\MC3

These contains some user settings and when we get problems starting Review/Manage we delete these and the software starts to work again. Probobly some files get corrupt and it wont start, don't know what the MC3 folder is either but it helped once when deleted it so we always do it at the same time.

Review/Manage will recreate the profile when started again.

Unistall will not remove these files so many times reinstall will not help!

BR,
Markus

Edited by: markusvikstr%C3%B6m on Apr 8, 2010 10:57 AM Edited by: markusvikstrom on Apr 8, 2010 10:58 AM
Message 7 of 16
arkhefieldonline

I'm having the exact same problem.

I’ve installed Navisworks on a machine and when trying to open Navisworks Simulate 2011 or Navisworks Freedom 2011 it just crashes.

I’ve re-installed this 3 times now yet no change.
I’ve also gone into the registry to remove all references to the word Navisworks.
I've also deleted %appdata% info, but i can't remember if I deleted the MC3. - This I will check.
I loaded optionseditor.exe and turned off hardware acceleration but that made no difference.
I also tried turning on culling. Yet it still crashes on startup.

I have tried running the program on different user profiles and with different security permissions but it will not run.

I refuse to re-install this program again.

I've successfully installed Navisworks on another identical machine, hardware spec wise. Obviously the machines differ as far as software goes, but pretty much the same.

There is nothing physically wrong with the PC

The only thing I can think of is Navisworks is shitting itself over something. I can’t work out what that is.

i did get the dump logs and log files however the .dmp files i can't see. but feel free to have a look at what is attached.
Message 8 of 16
arkhefieldonline

Update. I've deleted the MC3 folders in the All Users and in the users profile however this does not fix the issue.

Continues to crash on startup.
Message 9 of 16
arkhefieldonline

Update ...

I updated our NVIDIA Qaudro FX3700 driver to the latest and then performed the following steps.

1. Removed Revit 2010
2. Removed Navisworks Simulate & Freedom
3. Removed all %appdata% relating to Navisworks in the ‘All Users’ & user profile
4. Removed Navisworks from the Program Files directory
5. Restarted
6. Installed Navisworks Freedom 2011 on it’s own.
7. Tried to open Navisworks Freedom.
8. CRASH!
9. Installed Revit 2010 with latest update 2
10. Opened Revit 2010 successfully. No errors
11. Tried to open Navisworks Freedom.
12. CRASH!

I have no idea why this is crashing. I definitely don’t think it’s a graphics card issue. It has to be something else its complaining about.

Help appreciated!
Message 10 of 16
tim.wiegand

I've had a look at the CERs you submitted. It looks like Navisworks is crashing in Windows code while initializing part of the user interface. Your CERs are the only ones with this problem, so it looks like there is something wrong specific to this particular machine.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 11 of 16
tim.wiegand

General approach for any crash in Navisworks

1. Submit the Customer Error Report. If you can, include your email address and a comment explaining what you were doing. If your problem is one commonly seen, you will get a response explaining fixes and possible workarounds. If not, Autodesk get to know about the problem and can start working on a fix.
2. Try turning off hardware acceleration (graphics drivers are the most common cause of crashes at startup).
3. Try removing the lastsession.xml file to reset GUI layout back to the default state.
4. If you can, try using a different machine. A suprising number of problems are caused by hardware faults.
5. If you have a support contract, contact support.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 12 of 16
arkhefieldonline

OK. I've fixed all of this myself.

Please see below on how I did it all.

First off I needed to read the .dmp file exported by Navisworks as this is a Windows based memory dump.

I followed these two Microsoft articles to downloaded Debugging Tools for Windows (x64) and run it properly
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/devtools/debugging/default.mspx

After installing Debugging Tools for Windows (x64). I then downloaded the symbol packages.
I also needed access to the I386 files from the operating system, so I inserted the Windows XP x64 disk in the CD ROM

I opened up a command prompt and navigated to C:\Program Files\Debugging Tools for Windows (x64)

I executed the following according to the 1st Microsoft article
kd -y srv*c:\symbols*http://msdl.microsoft.com/download/symbols -i d:\windows\i386 -z C:\symbols\NavisWorksErrorReport.dmp

This loaded the NavisWorksErrorReport.dmp file

I then executed the following command
!analyze –v

You can see the results in the attached debug_results.txt file.

I looked through all this dump information and found the line
e0434f4d (CLR exception)
CLR = Common Language Runtime

This is related to .NET Framework

I then discovered the following .dll
mscorwks.dll

A quick google search on this sure enough was apart of the .NET Framework.

So after all this I new it was something to do with .NET Framework causing these issues.

I downloaded and installed the .NET Framework Cleanup tool, which removes everything to do with .NET Framework
http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/pages/8904493.aspx

I restarted the computer

Then downloaded and installed .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 full package
This package installed the following versions of .NET Framework
- Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2
- Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1

I then uninstalled Navisworks Freedom 2011
Cleaned out the %appdata% in the All Users profile relating to Navisworks
Cleaned out the %appdata% in the users profile relating to Navisworks
Loaded regedit and deleted all references to the word “Navisworks”
Restarted

I uninstalled Microsoft WSE 3.0 Runtime (.NET Framework related)
I installed MSXML 6 Service Pack 2 (KB973686)

I did the above 2 steps after doing a comparison on the working machine

I then installed Navisworks Freedom 2011 and it worked
I then installed Navisworks Simulate 2011 and it worked

So long story short deep down in the machine Navisworks 2011 wasn’t working because of .NET Framework
Having said that Navisworks 2010 always worked fine

All working fine now!

Cheers
Message 13 of 16
tim.wiegand

Thanks for sharing this. Navisworks 2010 uses .Net 2.0. Navisworks 2011 uses .Net 3.5. The point where Navisworks was crashing is where it first starts using .Net 3.5 features. So, as you discovered, it looks like this machine had a bad installation of .Net 3.5.

Tim Wiegand
Software Architect

Message 14 of 16
Anonymous

Hi, are you saying its the machine thats incompatible with the application?  What particular machine is having this sort of issue?  I have no idea in debugging the attached files, I hope you would take a look at the errors generated.  Thanks.

Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

We have the same issues with Simulate 2011, on one computer it is not starting. After the splash screen is shown it just kills the roamer.exe. It seems to happen on all users on the computer so it is profile independent.

I reinstalled the Framework and killed all user registery settings and got it to work yesterday evening. but then again this morning it does not work anymore.

What a piece of crap, it can't be an acceptable solution to be forced to reinstall .net framework and the software each and every day, it just takes too long.

I have been a Navisfan but I have to say starting from 2010 (when you sometimes got corrupt files and had to delete some folder) and now 2011 even worse that require newinstalls of everything even .net framework it just annoying!

Edit: There has to be a flaw in the software that corrupts files (or either a virus, has to check the computer) but I have difficulties believing it a virus when this problem occures very often it seems...

/Markus

Message 16 of 16
Krytus

I know this is a super old post, but you guys are not going to believe what I just figured out:

VAULT WAS THE ISSUE!!! (and possibly add-in components)

In some newer versions, (particularly 2014) if Navisworks opens fine as an RTM install but starts crashing after installing ANY kind of Navisworks update, you might get an error that points to a .NET failure in the Windows event log that looks something like this:

Application: Roamer.exe

Framework Version: v4.0.30319

Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.IO.FileNotFoundException

*(sometimes the upper line said something else like "System.TypeInitializationException")

Stack:

at Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Library.RegisterExceptionParserServices()
at Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Library..cctor()

Exception Info: System.TypeInitializationException

at Autodesk.DataManagement.Client.Framework.Vault.Library.Initialize()

at Connectivity.Common.Vault.VaultCommon.Initialize()

at Autodesk.Navisworks.VaultPlugin.Application.VaultPluginApplication.Initialize()

at Autodesk.Navisworks.VaultPlugin.Application.VaultPluginApplication.get_Instance()

at Autodesk.Navisworks.VaultPlugin.VaultCommandHandlerPlugin.IsSelfEnabled()

at Autodesk.Navisworks.Api.Plugins.PluginRecord.CreatePlugin()

at Autodesk.Navisworks.Api.ApplicationParts.ApplicationPlugins.LoadPlugins()

at Autodesk.Navisworks.Internal.ApiImplementation.ApplicationImpl.LoadPlugins()

at NetRoamer.Program.MainImpl(System.String[])

at NetRoamer.Program.Main(System.String[])

And I'm pasting this RAW so it's easy for everyone to search.

The weird thing is, it didn't even look like this until screwing around with multiple versions of .NET framework, resetting the Autodesk profile, and deleting some odd components that didn't seem relevant. For 2 days the most I could find was msiexec.exe junk errors and meaningless number strings in repetitive log entries that never pointed to anything specific.  Next I took a suggestion from an old post with a similar problem here: https://blogs.rand.com/support/2014/02/autocad-2014-gives-errors-after-installing-the-navisworks-201...

It explains that, in many instances, crashes are caused by the Navisworks updates essentially being half-baked, since they DON'T account for the exporter components offered by the Navisworks installer as an optional extra. The exporter components need to be updated with a separate hotfix. Nice one, Autodesk.

After I went through all of that, the log files started to change, and this time stayed consistent (as posted above) no matter what adjustments or other workarounds I tried, and all signs pointed to one thing, referencing some "plugin" as faulty... Vault. After uninstalling vault, my old install of NAVMAN with the new SP2 update applied finally opened without further errors. I hope this helps someone.

*EDIT: I double-checked the process for my solution, and it should be noted that uninstalling the "Factory Design Utilities for Navisworks 2014" also helps, due to incompatible versioning after running the NAVMAN update.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report