Community
Maya Shading, Lighting and Rendering
Welcome to Autodesk’s Maya Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Maya materials topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya 2014 Mac Mental Ray UI issues

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
stumanchu
2046 Views, 7 Replies

Maya 2014 Mac Mental Ray UI issues

Here we go again! I think something like this happened when I first loaded 2013 and I thought AD might have fixed this for the 2014 release. The problem is that the Mental Ray UI is all messed up, and it's the same on both my macs. When I open the render settings UI, half of it is missing and I'm getting error messages galore. The attached image shows some of the problems...When this happened with 2013 I remember that someone on the forum directed me to a script that I had to install but I'm not sure if it's the same one. If there is anyone out there that knows whats going on with this please help and I will be eternally grateful.

Mac Pro Tower with skills
Macbook Pro new with skills

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: stumanchu

The first thing to do is a clean install on one of your Macs - delete the AutoDesk directories in Applications, Preferences, Users:Shared, restart and reinstall just Maya. Then if you are certain the clean install went well and the problem persists, issue a bug report via the link in Maya's Help menu. Good Luck ; )
Message 3 of 8
stumanchu

Thanks for the response XIXAC! I had a chance to investigate on my mac laptop and I found that by creating a new project path and routing it to the new project, saving, closing and re-opening Maya that it worked this hiccup out. My Render Settings window is now intact and fully there...I will check and see if this is the same issue and fix for my tower later tonight and post a follow up for this post.

Thanks for the tip and response so quickly, I was about to trash prefs as you suggested and do the re-install but luckily this seems to work for the moment. I have some other issues as well that I created new posts for, but for now my headache is gone for one machine. Cheers!
Message 4 of 8
stumanchu

So, I tried messing around with setting new project paths, sort of like I did on my Macbook which I think fixed the issue, however this method is not working on my Mac Pro Tower. Sadly, I'm still dealing with the same issue. I tried trashing preferences and doing a clean install so I'll send a bug report but rarely does it help in the immediate timeframe and I lose work time and money in a way. (Reloaded 2013 to keep working) So, if any Mac users have experienced this same issue and you found a way to solve it let me know....Please! Thanks!

Message 5 of 8
stumanchu

OK, So it seems that the MentalRayForMaya2014 Scripts Folder may be missing some important stuff. I checked my Maya 2013 Mental Ray Scripts folder and found that it had a bunch of .res.mel files that don't appear to be in the MentalRayForMaya2014 Scripts Folder....Anyway, I managed to get my render settings quality (tab)window back by copying and pasting the "createMentalRayIndirectLightingTab.res.mel" from the 2013 Scripts Folder into the 2014 Scripts folder, but I'm still missing the Indirect Lighting Window and the Options window, both are solid gray.

This is a totally fresh install from AD subscriber download section. I received an upgrade in the form of a single disc image for Maya 2014 and a single disc image for Mudbox 2014.

Please see the attached image for details. Thanks to anyone out there who can help.

Message 6 of 8
stumanchu

I poked a little deeper into this issue and I found my problem had nothing to do with the new 2014 upgrade install provided by Autodesk.  Instead, it was a modified createMentalRayIndirectLightingTab.mel script that I installed a number of years ago when I was using Maya 2011.  The script was created by David Johnson (DJX Blog) and his modifications automatically connects the exposure photographic lens shader to the default camera when you invoke the Physical Sun and Sky.   I placed the modified script in the scripts folder where it remained and I simply forgot about it's existence. 

When I upgraded to Maya 2013 I did the usual purging of user preferences but did not  remove the modified script from the scripts folder residing in the Library/Preferences/Autodesk/Maya/Scripts.  Then came the installation of the new 2014 package, and even though they both have their own distinct file paths that were created on install, the culprit was a folder inside the Maya (main folder) that contained the modified script.  I was unaware that this folder was being accessed upon launch of the new 2014....In short, all of this mess is MY FAULT!

I would like to thank David Santos (Frontline) and Cory for taking the time and effort to help me out on this matter and perhaps the info will be useful for others who may have made this same mistake. Please see the attached image and notes which show the file path and scripts folders. Again, all of this is MY BAD!!! (slinks away with tail tucked under and a red face!!)

Message 7 of 8
sorb78

Thanks for letting us know of the solution. That was a tricky problem.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Solved my problem, thanks a lot!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report