Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sweep to create saw tooth

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
2135 Views, 9 Replies

sweep to create saw tooth

Any ideas how I can create this saw tooth shape? The sweep feature gives me an error message. I thought I could create a parallel sweep using a rectangle profile to cut along a 3D path. It won't even cut along the parent 2D path.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
JDMather
in reply to: Anonymous

Emboss or surface trim thicken with pattern would probably be a better technique.

If there is a kerf twist then Loft and pattern.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: JDMather

I've made some progress but isn't there an easier way?

Message 4 of 10
rdyson

Is this close to what you want?

PDSU 2016
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: rdyson

thanks. that's a useful simplified version without the alternating teeth. I'd still be interested in a better way of accurately modelling the cutter, just out of curiosity.

Message 6 of 10
rdyson

Create the second revolve as a separate body and reduce the number of teeth by half, making the gap twice as wide.

Repeat with the outward bent teeth.

Boolean the three bodies.

PDSU 2016
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

What do you mean by "boolean the three bodies"? Do you mean merge the solids by deriving into another part?

I accept your suggestion gives a close solution, but there will be a discontinuity at the transition between one tooth and the next where the angle changes. On the actual saw there is a smooth transition where the angle is zero.

Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

this is pretty good. ended up using the sculpt tool - not something I often use but very powerful. had to create the teeth as separate bodies otherwise they wouldn't pattern. I hope this is useful/interesting to someone! I've only patterned the teeth twice in this attachment otherwise the file size is too large. the complete pattern number is 21.

Message 9 of 10
rdyson

Just for reference, if you pull the EOP to the top and save, the files size is much smaller. 232 kb for this file with the full patterened teeth.

PDSU 2016
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

thanks. I didn't know that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report