SO what is everyone say, trick about speeding up constrain execution. I have started working on this new project with 2013. And i'm finding myself losing alot of time. Basicly what i do is insert part from our database or content center and assemble them. So 80% of my activities on inventor are constraints. Right now i have this assemblies 175 / 156(small to me). And executing a constraint is minimum 4 seconds each time. If you consider that about 3 contraint is needed for each piece and final total part will probably be around 1000. i'm losing alot of time here
Yeah, i am not using preview. Why is inventor recalculating that much each time? Is it doing a rebuilt after each constraint?
What have you done that really increase the excution time of constraints?
Windows 7 64bit
Intel Extreme i7cpu I975 @ 3,33
4 ssd in Raid stripping.Nvidia FX3800
Inventor 2013 SP1
Are you using logic sub-assemblies?
Are you following efficient, robust techniques (beginning with part creation)?
Autodesk Inventor 2013 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional
Inventor Professional 2014 Edu 64-bit
GeForce GTX 560M i7-2670QM @ 2.2GHz 8GB RAM
Still waiting for -Draft option on any Rib feature.
I agree, its a big problem. Adding mates, deleting mates, and moving parts by dragging causes inventor to think for around 4 seconds every time you do something. Its not the time but the frustration of waiting. It's competitors dont have this problem. I am trialing solidworks and Creo at the moment and they are much faster. This issue is one of the reasons I am looking at alternatives.
Amaze me that no one at autodesk offered suggestions. Anyhow a solution is to enable "defer update", basicly the part you are placing won't move until you update assembly. But i'd really like to now what the software is doing when "executing" a constraint. Could suppressing some already existing constraints in the assembly help, i will test that and report.
I did a test by simply suppressing all constraint of my assembly. And that did the trick. Now constraint execution is instant, just like back in earlier version. Now is there a way to get inventor to not do what it is doing with all other contraints so that doing more constraints are now slowwwwww. What we need is a much faster constrain execution (assemble isn't faster) or a option that would prevent the execution of doing what it does and all constraints in a assembly are unsurpress.
For now i will supress all contraints and ground my parts. I will continu on building my assembly and once every couple of hours i will unsupress all contraint unground all parts and let it update.
The problem with using defer update is that the part doesnt move when the constraint is placed and if you drag a componenet it makes no difference, Inventor still has to think about it for a while.
My guess is that it rebuilds the parts being mated to check that the faces are valid, and if I am correct then thats just stupid. I have no idea why it thinks for so long after something is dragged.
Here's a simple test. Save your assembly. Then bring a part in and save it again. Save once more to check that the save list is empty. Now mate the part to something. Press save. It will list all the parts that need saving, which means that the mate has caused them to be rebuilt. I often get parts listed that have no relationship to what is being mated. My VAR has seen it and had no idea why some parts are being rebuilt.
So what you are saying is that we should keep maximum number of part in a assembly under 40-50?
I have sub-assemblies. I've done much larger assemblies in past version and it was faster.
My question is what consist of "executing constraint"? other then moving the part visualy where it should go?
I rarely go over a dozen unique parts (not instances) in one assembly, but I have other reasons for that. I get excellent assembly performance.
I use sub assemblies which typically have 1 or 2 parts and a few frame generator members, its the only way I can separate frames so I use sub assem a lot. My less than 500 part models have very little adaptiveity, use lots of skeletal techniques, are painfully slow, and have been checked by my VAR's best trainer who found nothing wrong and no way of improving speed. Like I said it's so bad I am willing to go through the pain of switching to something else. I didnt think it was that bad until I tried the other programs on the same machine. Inv are way behind in speed. For example on 1 part (not assem just a part on its own), Inv takes 14 seconds to update after a dimension change, Creo takes 1 sec. Inventor is way more user friendly but just too slow.