Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Total COST of an assembly?? Inventor 2010?

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
freestyle4x4f150
3587 Views, 9 Replies

Total COST of an assembly?? Inventor 2010?

How do I get a total cost of an assembly? I have many of the same parts with the same cost and the BOM only adds up the quantity and not the total cost? I have a couple hundred parts and about 80 different parts in an assembly. It takes way to much time to sort it out and add it up in excel after its exported. This seems like it should be a really easy function that should be in Inventor 2010. Please someone help I can not find any articles that are not from 2006. This would be a huge tool for me. All my cost are currently in "Estimated Cost" in iProperties.

Thank you for the help!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10

the articles from 2006 will likely be the same solution as today. I don't think much has changed with this.

You'll want to look into the substitution tab and the sum option in the drawing parts list.

Personally, I think putting costing information into a part model is the wrong approach. What happens when material cost go up and the price of every part goes up? are you going to edit every part and change that?

I would recomend using the export to XLS funtion in the BOM editor and doing these calculations there. But if you must use the model substitution tab and the sum option are the tools to use.

Message 3 of 10
blair
in reply to: freestyle4x4f150

I would agree, much easier to sort your BOM by part number before you export to Excel. There are some ERP systems that work with Inventor, but you need your IPT part numbers to match your ERP system.

Then it's a single import your IAM into your ERP system and run your ERP BOM Costing program.

Inventor 2020, In-Cad, Simulation Mechanical

Just insert the picture rather than attaching it as a file
Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 4 of 10

Well once every few months we where expectiong to take a couple days to reprice all the parts. What are some of these ERP programs names that work with inventor?

Message 5 of 10
blair

Check with your ERP provider as different ERP systems will use different 3rd party software. Some may be able to import a flat ASCI text file.

We use Syspro and have the ability to import Flat ASCI text files into our BOM. There also is a 3rd party add-in that deals with directly with the Inventor file.

These ERP systems, handle our Inventory, Purchasing, Production, Sales, A/R, A/P and G/L. As we either manufacture items or purchase items, the system is updating our inventor costs with each transaction. Once we bring our BOM structure into our ERP system, all the costing and updates are done within the system.

Advanced ERP systems can handle both actual and what-if costs allowing individuals to compare costing scenarios.

You would in your current model, need to address labour/assembly costs. You may have different cost-centers as your assembly passes through the assembly/mfg process.  

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.
Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 6 of 10

We are a very small manufacturing company under 30 employee. We have no ERP at all. Everything is excel spread sheets. These ERP's I have been looking up cost thousands of dollars per seat. I just Need a really simple program that can tally up the total cost of an assembly that works with Inventor or know how to sort the BOM in Excel.

Thanks for the help!

Message 7 of 10
swalton

You might try Parts&Vendors for a low cost ERP tool.  $100-$300 a seat.  You have to manually add all of your components and then manually build your assemblies, but it better suited for managing the costs and production details of products.  You can import CSVs and Excel files to build the BOMs

I think they have a free trial too.

Just a user, no relation to the company.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023
Message 8 of 10
blair

We are a small manufacture as well, around 30 employees. We have been using ERP systems since 1985. We wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the ERP.

We have reduced the number of people on/at desks processing paper by at least three people. Month-Ends close off the first working day of the new month, statements are in the mail the same day by 3:30 (we do Country-Club billing, customer gets copies of invoices with the statement.)

When we sell/deliver a new piece of transportation equipment, we know what our cost is for that custom equipment by 10:00am the next day.

Delta Tau Chi ΔΤΧ

Message 9 of 10

If you have a cost iProperty for every part can you not start at the assembly, iterate through all parts in the assembly adding up the part costs to get an assembly cost?

You may need to seek help in the Customisation forum to create the necessary macro.

Message 10 of 10

@petercharles,

Thank you that sounds like a good place to start. I am not familar at all with any custumizations so i will try finding the correct macro then.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report