Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Neodymium Magnets?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
4392 Views, 3 Replies

Neodymium Magnets?

Is it possible to simulate magnets, such as Neodymium Iron Boron (NIB) magnets, as parts in Inventor 2009 Pro?

Or is there a way I could create the material within the program?

In some of my projects I'd like to be able to use neodymium magnets, such as those found at http://www.kjmagnetics.com

I can probably use information I've gathered from wikipedia and other sources to fill in the material properties, but I can't seem to find anything about magnetism. Is it possible to use magnets and have magnetic objects react to them correctly? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
emilpettersson
in reply to: Anonymous

I have asked this question before and the answer I got was that you can put in a functionality so that the force reacting between the magnet part and another part is dependent on the distance between the two parts. I havn´t tried it yet so I really don´t know if it works.

//Emil Pettersson
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Hmm, that might be useful, but how would a person go about ensuring that the proper forces were applied to make objects accurately reflect the specific properties of neodymium magnets in various sizes. Magnets of different sizes have different magnetic strengths, gauss, etc., and more pull force, depending on the size of the magnet. How would the magnetic field be accurately portrayed?
Message 4 of 4
swalton

"How would the magnetic field be accurately portrayed?"

http://www.ansys.com/Products/multiphysics.asp

IV simulation is for mechanical problems. You are describing an electrormagnetic one. You might be able to get decent results if you solve the field equations for force as a function of distance and using that result in IV. You would have to know the magnetic strength, etc of your magnet to solve the equations.

Steve Walton
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Inventor 2023
Vault Professional 2023

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report