Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAking crimp plate using sheet metal

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
dogdrawz
4412 Views, 12 Replies

MAking crimp plate using sheet metal

I need to create the crimp plate in inventor to give my shop the measurements before the crimping process for material and also give them measurements to complete the crimping process. I figured I could use the sheet metal process, but I need a little help in doing so. I'm trying to find an easier way than going back to Autocad and p-line everything.crimp pl.jpg

12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: dogdrawz

This one is trivialy easy.
What version of Inventor are you using?

Attach your ipt file here.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 13
dogdrawz
in reply to: JDMather

version 12. I don't have an .ipt file.

Message 4 of 13
JDMather

@dogdrawz wrote:

version 12. I don't have an .ipt file.

Version 12? or do you really mean 2012?

If you don't have a file, what is the picture?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EESignature

Message 5 of 13
dogdrawz

Sorry 2012. Here's the part.

Message 6 of 13
mcgyvr

@dogdrawz wrote:

Is this formed in a press brake?

If so what is the radius of the forming die?

What is the k-factor for that machine/thickness of material? You can find that out by taking a piece of the same material/same die setup and then measure its flat length. Then form it 90 degrees and measure the length of each resulting flange.

I can plug the dimensions into the program I have to figure out the k-factor if you can get the part formed..

(see attached image for the dimensions I need)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 7 of 13
JDMather

@dogdrawz wrote:

Examine the part that I posted.  You are doing too much work.

EESignature

Message 8 of 13
jcabrera

I also have a question, once i place my crimps the second crimp measurement is off and the overall length also. Can you give any insight on how to fix this. Do i change the unfold rule or the bend radius?

Message 9 of 13
JDMather
in reply to: jcabrera

Are you also running Inventor 2012?

Attach your *.ipt file here and end all doubt.

EESignature

Message 10 of 13
jcabrera

Using 2017, if it helps the second bend show be 1" bigger.

Message 11 of 13
mcgyvr

@jcabrera wrote:

I also have a question, once i place my crimps the second crimp measurement is off and the overall length also. Can you give any insight on how to fix this. Do i change the unfold rule or the bend radius?

Then your "k factor" is not correct for your press brake die and process (air bending/bottoming,etc..)

You need to edit the "unfold rule" and enter in a proper k factor to achieve the correct flat length.. 

You currently are using "4" V-Crimp Mild Steel Kfactor" which shows as 0.. It should be closer to .5

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Message 12 of 13
jcabrera
in reply to: mcgyvr

I have one other concern, we are using a special die that forms these part in one hit, but as you can see it come up for three hits at each v-crimp. How can i change it to come up with the correct information.

Message 13 of 13
mcgyvr

@jcabrera wrote:

I have one other concern, we are using a special die that forms these part in one hit, but as you can see it come up for three hits at each v-crimp. How can i change it to come up with the correct information.

Well.. Thats up to you.. The "bend notes" functionality in Inventor is intended for individual single bends.

Adapt to what works for you.. Either don't show the bend notes.. Or only put a bend note for the single center line and edit it to make sense..

Or just use a leader or whatever.. 

Frankly I find it "goofy" that you have 47.4642 degrees,etc... anyways.. no one goes to that precision on a bend angle..

Why not 45 deg anyways? Whats the actual angle of the custom die.. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report