I saw there was a service pack 1.1 available for Inventor 2013 so I installed it. But upon installation the Create New File window has become crippling slow. It is completely unusable and I will need to uninstall the service pack if I can not find a fix. I saw there was an update for SP1.1 so I installed that but there was no change. Prior to installing SP1.1 I had Update 1 & 2 installed along with the vault hotfix. My machine is..
Intel Core i7-3820 @ 3.6GHz
64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate SP1
On one occasion upon executing the "Create New File" command I got this error dialog box. I had to click OK about a dozen times for it to go away. This was after a fresh start of Inventor. This was the first command I ran and no documents had been loaded yet at this time. There were two zeros in the lower right corner confirming this. This addin was set to load automatically. Changing the configurations for it didn't change the "Create New File" behavior.
Thanks for posting this issue, and very sorry for our delayed response to this, I was consulting with our internal experts to determine what the problem might be.
I've received two suggestions for possible causes of your issue:
1. It could be related to your template files being on a network drive. Is this the case? If so, switching to the default project should make the performance issue disappear. One possible suggested solution for this is to map the server location of your templates as a network drive on your machine. Let me know if you need help trying that.
2. Another possibility is that this is related to a corrupted Material/Appearance library. If you open the Material and Appearance Browser windows, do you see any errors highlighted next to the libraries?
Let me know whether or not either of these suggestions helps, and if not we can continue investigating this further with you.
Thanks very much again,
Sr. Software QA Engineer
The cause is definately from the templates being located on a network drive. I've remapped my template location as a network drive and it fixed the issue. Response time is now down to like a second though this still seems slightly more sluggish then it should be and has been in the past. Will there be a permanent fix for this issue coming?
A fix for this was provided in SP1.1 Update1 - you can get that from:
Hope this helps,
Inventor Quality Assurance Team
We can see we are several users experiencing slow down with Inventor 2013.
In my office, we are 6 users. 4 of us experiencing random slow down performance when editing a part/assembly and 1 user (me...) experiencing deadly slow down with "create new"!!
Templates are on a network drive and SP1.1 Upadte 1 have been installed without any change on performance!!
Issue is still open and the solution proposed by autodesk was to reinstalled Inventor !! We do not try it but what is surprising is that it's not an isolated case... Something goes wrong with 2013 version !!
Autodesk Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013
Win 7 Pro 64 bits SP1
Bi-Xeon E5520 (2x Quad-core @2.27GHz)
Quadro Fx 1800 768Mo GDDR3
6Go Ram DDR3 667MHz ECC
Are you able to supply any additional information ?
- Exactly how were your templates defined with the problem ?
- Is it any faster on the second invocation of the File, New dialog compared to the first ?
- What sort of delays are you talking about here ? Seconds, minutes ?
- Does mapping a network drive instead of using a UNC definition also fix the problem, similarly to using a local drive ?
- How much data is in the folder one level above the templates folder ? If you create an empty folder above templates, does that also improve performance ?
We've had other customers who have noted a marked improvement in performance after installing SP1.1 update1 so this is a bit confusing, hence the request for more info.
Inventor Quality Assurance Team