Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodeskā€™s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Import 3Dpoly

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
dknaggert
599 Views, 3 Replies

Import 3Dpoly

Hi,

How can I import a 3DPoly from Autocad into Inventor to use as path for a swepped profile for a barrel cam?

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: dknaggert

File Open and set Options?
Why not create the path directly in Inventor rather than using AutoCAD?
Be very careful that you get the true geometry that you are expecting -

this is an old tutorial http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/content/DSG322/Inventor%20Tutorials/Inventor%2011%20Tutorial%2011.pdf

but it points out the difficulty in gettting the true geometry.

It is now easier since additional options were added to Sweep (w guide surface), but you still have to be very careful.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 3 of 4
dknaggert
in reply to: JDMather

What I know about Inventor is: I haven't even installed it yet. What I do now is the following, I create the points with generally 0.25 degrees resolution in Mathcad, create a script file with all the points and with "3Dpoly" on top. That creates the curve in Autocad - no problem at all. Where the problem comes in is that Autocad can loft this into a solid as shown, but in no way can I select 1440 point by hand to create the profile. And _sweep doesn't work because the profile doesn't stay parallel to, let's say, the Z-Axis. So, I am looking for an Alternative.

Message 4 of 4
JDMather
in reply to: dknaggert

@Anonymous wrote:

What I know about Inventor is: I haven't even installed it yet.  So, I am looking for an Alternative.

Sounds like you might be doing too much work as the tools are already built into Inventor.

Cylindrical Cam.png

Simply an exercise in filling dialog boxes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report