Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I wished...

29 REPLIES 29
SOLVED
Message 1 of 30
Davarn-Tool&Die
981 Views, 29 Replies

I wished...

Wish list:

1.  I wished the browser bar would stay on the 2nd monitor on my dual monitor system instead of moving to the center of my first monitor when I save my assembly.

2.  I wished the sketch constraints would appear the instant that I placed them instead of having to first hide the constraints and then unhide them so that they appear.

3.  I wished that during the 'move face' command (edit/3d model/modify/move face), the cursor would remain in the "Z" co-ordinate that I selected and not jump into the "X"  right as I'm typing.

I'm not sure if I wished that these problems only effect me, or if I wished that everyone would be suffering like me.

My processor, video card and all of my computer specs were suggested by my AutoDesk dealership:

AMD FX™ 8150 Eight-Core Processor 3.61 GHz

16 GB ram

Video: AMD FirePro V7900 (FireGL V)

Dual HP ZR2440w Monitors

Autodesk Inventor 2014 64bit edition

Any suggestions?

David Arnold

Designer-New Dies

Motor City Stamping Inc.

( Desk: 586-949-8420 Ext. 184

+ Email: darnold@mcstamp.com
" www.MCStamp.com

29 REPLIES 29
Message 2 of 30
tsreagan
in reply to: Davarn-Tool&Die

1.  I don't have a second monitor,  I wish for one of those.

2.  I would hate it if the sketch constraints appeared and bugged me like that. I wish you didn't wish this.

3. I guess that would be nice.

I wish you would put this in the Inventor Idea Station.

T.S.

Message 3 of 30
JDMather

@darnold wrote:

I'm not sure if I wished that these problems only effect me, or if I wished that everyone would be suffering like me.

1. I have never had that happen to me - can you post a screen shot as I'm not sure I understand the problem.

2. I (almost) never have sketch constraints displayed because I know which ones Inventor is applying automatically and I certainly know when I have manually applied a constraint.  About the only time I turn them on is to check files from other people.  So I guess this one doesn't effect me.

3. In almost every case I have seen of someone using Move Face - there was a better technique. Not saying it shouldn't be used (I have a good problem that I like to use to demonstrate appropriate use), but based on experience I will make a small wager that there is a better way.  Post your file and let's see.

Edit:  I see you have a better description here for #1 http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Dual-screen/m-p/3698606#M454098  I use two screens but have never moved the browser.  This one doesn't effect me either.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

Message 4 of 30

Hi darnold,

1. Existing IdeaStation request: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Inventor-IdeaStation/Support-for-Multiple-Monitors/idi-p/3701668
  2. You might create a IdeaStation request for this, but make sure to specify this an option that can be turned on or off, so that existing users don't fight it. Also I wonder if your need for this is simply due to the fact that your sketches are overly complicated. You might have a look at this link: http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com/2011/03/inventor-101-simple-fully-constrained.html
  3. Move face is often useful when working with ECO's so that the change histroy is evident in the model. I wonder if using the Direction and Distance method for in the Move Face tool would work better for you: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Move-Face-Parameters/td-p/3762088

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 5 of 30
Davarn-Tool&Die
in reply to: JDMather

Thank you JDMather for your response.

1. Here is the screen image after the save.  The browser bar has moved on its own to the middle of the left screen.

screenprint1.jpg

2. I am new to inventor (six months) and I would like to see the contraints as I put them on the sketch.

3. I agree, that I use the move face too much when I should probally draw a sketch or something, but even if I used it once a month, should the cursor jump automatically as I'm typing? Is that usual?  imagine that happening in other software?

None of these problems are serious, but I thought I'd post them to see if there was any solutions out there.

Thanks

Message 6 of 30

Hi JDMather,

There are instances where I'd prefer to see the Move Face tool used to implement ECO changes to a face depth, rather than updating the original feature. Often modifying the original feature risks changing the depth of some dependent feature, so what seems like a quick and simple change might actually drop or raise the depth of some other feature that the user is not focusing on.

For this reason, the Move Face tool is actually a better choice in the real world when implementing design changes, as it can be trusted not to update one the feature in question. But I agree with your assessment that it is generally a poor choice for initial model creation. I just thought I'd share that perspective in case it helps communicate a use for this tool that your students might encounter later on.

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 7 of 30
sam_m

problem 1:  have you got admin rights?  the browser bar's location is set in the registry (i think), so if you don't have rights to edit the registry settings it will keep popping back to whatever's set there...  as a thought...

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 8 of 30
Davarn-Tool&Die
in reply to: tsreagan

T.S.

I don't want the constraints to always be on, so that if they were turned off they would appear anyway, but if they were turned on I would like to see any new ones appear. with them.

Thanks

Dave

Message 9 of 30
Davarn-Tool&Die
in reply to: sam_m

Sam_M

I do have Admin. rights. I appreciate any and all suggestions, thanks.

Dave

Message 10 of 30
JDMather

@darnold wrote:

T.S.

.... but if they were turned on I would like to see any new ones appear. with them.

Thanks

Dave

Hmmm, I thought there was a way to do this, but now I can't find a way.  I gues maybe I am thinking of another MCAD SoftWare.

After a while it becomes pretty automatic - so there is little need to see them execpt when diagnosing problem sketches.  In that case, the first thing I do is turn on DOF visibility and start dragging points.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 11 of 30
Davarn-Tool&Die

JD,

It's good to know that #2 won't be a problem for long. Thanks for your encouragment and help.

Curtis,

The video you linked me to will help me in the future. Direction and Distance method sounds like a better option. As to the sketch complexity, I actually saw the "Simple full constrained" instruction a couple of weeks ago and have been working on simplifying my sketches. "Think RECTANGLES" I tell myself.

Dave

Message 12 of 30
JDMather

@darnold wrote:

JD,

It's good to know that #2 won't be a problem for long. Thanks for your encouragment and help.

Dave

Not sure where I said that, unless you are changing SoftWare.

Message 13 of 30
Davarn-Tool&Die

"After a while it becomes pretty automatic - so there is little need to see them execpt when diagnosing problem sketches."

JD,

I guess you implied that once I mastered Inventor better I wouldn't need to see the contraint icons  as often.

Smiley Happy

Message 14 of 30
JDMather

You might want to take a look at this document

http://home.pct.edu/~jmather/skillsusa%20university.pdf

one of the topics covered is how to assign hot keys to commonly used sketch constraints.

Message 15 of 30
rdyson

I've reported #3 to QC and hopefully they are looking into it.

PDSU 2016
Message 16 of 30
SteveMDennis

Gentleman (and any ladies I might have missed on this thread!),

#2 (showing sketch constraints as you add them IFF constraint display is on) is on our shortlist of enhancements.  Obviously I can't commit to when but it is on our radar for sure.

Can I also reiterate what one of the posters said, please use IdeaStation for these wishlist items. We are getting good feedback from IdeaStation and the Kudos system set up there allows us to prioritize our resources based on what improvements will get the best bang for the buck.

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 17 of 30
jletcher
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Kudos system set up there allows us to prioritize our resources based on what improvements will get the best bang for the buck.

LOL see don't care if it works as long as they get the buck..

The one that will get and keep the buck is a stable software.. Can we start there?

Message 18 of 30
SteveMDennis
in reply to: jletcher

Sorry you did not understand or like my informal response.

"prioritize our resources based on what improvements will get the best bang for the buck"

should read,

"prioritize our resources based on what improvements will enhance the most number of user's experience"

Steve Dennis
Sr. Principal Engineer
Inventor
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 19 of 30
JDMather
in reply to: SteveMDennis

Hey, I liked it!  I might even take a look over there when it pays!    Smiley Very Happy

@SteveMDennis wrote:

Sorry you did not understand or like my informal response.

Message 20 of 30
cwhetten

Regarding your issue with the browser:

Most of our designers have two monitors, and many prefer to have the browser on their second monitor (including myself).  I have never heard any of our users complaining about the browser moving, and I have never experienced this myself.  We are currently on 2012, but I see you are on 2014.  Maybe this is a fun "new feature" we get to look forward to?

I know my post isn't very helpful, but I just wanted to let you know that we haven't seen this.  If nothing else, you can rest assured that it isn't supposed to behave this way.  I guess it's just another data point for you as you try to diagnose the problem.

Cameron Whetten
Inventor 2012

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report