Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Groove Weld Contour Option?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
kstate92
1120 Views, 7 Replies

Groove Weld Contour Option?

(IV10) Perhaps I missed it, but there does not seem to be a way to specify the contour of a groove weld. It's wonderful we can create a circular groove weld as shown, but the appearance could be interpreted as the weld to be controlled flush or machined - even when not needed. We do use weld symbols to show the weld requirements, but... stuff happens.

Just wondered if I missed it somehow, or if it's possible in IV11, or if it's 'on the list'.
KState92
Inventor Professional 2020
AutoCAD Mechanical 2022.0.1
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit - 1903
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: kstate92

We don't have contour control for groove welds, just for fillet welds only. This did come up earlier in our development discussions but we haven't had a chance.

Is this critical to your workflow?

For now weld symbols (like you say) is one possibility. Thanks.

shekar
Message 3 of 8
kstate92

It's not critical, but it will come up - believe me (PRODUCTION). Message was edited by: KState92
KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

I'm thinking there is gap there and you have to create a groove weld? Can't tell from the picture.

There might be possibilities of splitting faces and creating a groove and a fillet weld on the top which will give you the contour. If the picture is more clearer I might give it a try. Thanks.

shekar
Message 5 of 8
kstate92

No gap - it's a symmetrical joint.
KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Simulating something similar I had to do four welds to get what you want.

I understand you might not like this result since who would do four operations?

If you could send me this file I might be able to get something. I'm thinking you have my email since I remember working on another issue with you. Thanks.

shekar
Message 7 of 8
kstate92

I don't have IV11 :(. But looking at your jpeg, it looks like just two welds (at least in cross-section). It's not a huge issue, but it would be a nice option to have like for the fillets (straight, concave, convex), though I suppose the big problem would be coming up with the default cord height of the arc. I'll send you the weldment I showed here in a little bit.
KState92
Core i7-8700 32 GB Ram
Quadro P2000
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

Sorry I didn't see the release.

Here is a picture of the 4 welds.

One of the big problems that we faced was in a groove weld which runs across several multiple faces, which faces to apply the contour. One of the solutions was to either let the user pick them for us before doing the groove weld or in a later operation identify the faces to be convex or concave at which time we generate the shape.

Understood it would be a nice option... Thanks.

shekar

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report