Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Frame Generator - Will not Update

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
DustinSmith7222
11297 Views, 13 Replies

Frame Generator - Will not Update

I have a structural steel tower I am designing in Frame generator.  Consists of frame generator, components, other content center components, (ie bolts, nuts washers etc.)  other custom parts etc.  I created frame generator parts from a series of 2D wireframe sketches from a skelton part file inside the assembly.  My problem is that suddenly, and I cannot figure when it started happening or why, my frame has 'frozen up', and it will no longer update.  When I try make a change using "change" from the frame generator design accelerator, (ie an offset), the preview shows up correctly, but after clicking 'apply', the frame member goes back to the original state.  However, if I have another component mated to the frame, it will move to the correct location even though the frame member did not.  I have also tried adusting the base skeleton model with the same result, the frame member stays in place, and the skeleton moves.  I have tried this using parts with and without constraints to other parts, and the same results.  I have used a lot of the bolted connection design accelerator in the model as well, making it bvery slow, but I dont THINK, that these are related issues.

Has anyone ever seen this before??

(I'm using IV Pro 2011 SP3)

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
JDMather
in reply to: DustinSmith7222

@DustinSmith7222 wrote:

(I'm using IV Pro 2011 SP3)

I only recall 1 SP for 2011.  What is the url to 2 & 3?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Autodesk Inventor 2019 Certified Professional
Autodesk AutoCAD 2013 Certified Professional
Certified SolidWorks Professional

The CADWhisperer YouTube Channel

EESignature

Message 3 of 14
cbenner

I have seen this many times in FG 2011.  No idea what the cause or solution is.  Personally, I think it is a bug, but since it seems so random and can't be reliably reproduced it's a hard bug to catch.  Only workaround I've found is to remove the offending members and replace them.  Not exactly efficient, but niether is beating a dead horse.... so that's the route I go now when this happens.  I gave up fighting it or trying to solve it.

Message 4 of 14
cmcconnell
in reply to: cbenner

Try using a desktop content center - or use rebuild all instead of update.

Mechanix Design Solutions inc.
Message 5 of 14
jeanchile

I have had a similar issue in the past and a using "Rebuild All" seemed to fix the issue. The only drawback is that I did have to use that tool after making any change in the future but it is only a small annoyance.

Good luck.

Inventor Professional
Message 6 of 14
DustinSmith7222
in reply to: jeanchile

Thanks everyone for the help.

I apologize on the update status.  I have the latest updates, might have got that sp version confused with another software.  On the frame generator problem, I have managed to get my frame to start working again.  I don't yet know how or why it happened, but I have found that the frame assembly file that frame generator automatically creates in the assembly somehow got switchsed to a 'grounded state'.  whats interesting though, was that if I right click on the assembly in the model tree, itdoes not show that it is in a grounded state in the menu that appears.  However, if you right click, then go to Iproperties--> Instance tab, then the assembly was grounded.  To my knowledge, these two should be the same, but they were not.  I unclicked that and found that I was able to move members around from their original position from the 'change dialogue.  However, changes to my skeleton were still without effect.  My skeleton was grounded, (and showed as such in the model tree), so I ungrounded it and everyhting appears to be working again.  Funny thing is though, that this all used to work, and suddenly it stopped working, and I never changed these.  the skeleton model was the first part in the assy, and it has always been grounded.  Does this make sense to anyone else??

Message 7 of 14

I should also point out that Rebuild all was unsuccessful before this.

Message 8 of 14
chris

Dustin,

Thank you this worked for me! I had the same problem, with a frame that wouldn't update.

Your solution saved me many hours of rebuildign a model.

Thank You

Message 9 of 14
sebgonz

This saved me loads of time as well. And once I found the "Rebuild All" command from the Manage tab, I was golden. Thanks for taking the time to post an update.

My PC Config:
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
16 GB RAM
Dual AMD Radeon HD 6450

Running Product Design Suite 2014
Message 10 of 14

I know this is old, but thanks so much for your post.  Saved me so much time!!  Really appreciate it.  

Message 11 of 14
jbm
Contributor
in reply to: elizabethcKTY8W

I had the same issue and found that deleting bolt connections made by design accelerator cold be a solution. 

Message 12 of 14
gerrardhickson
in reply to: jbm

Hi All,

I had this problem yesterday, and tried all the suggestions here, but to no avail. I have however, figured out how to solve it in my case.

My model is based around a master frame that I demoted into several sub-assemblies. Initially those sub-assemblies were created by demoting many pieces of frame together into a single sub-assembly. Later I found that I needed to add additional frame members to those using THIS method.  Eventually, I found that I needed to change my skeleton, but I found that it wouldn't update the frame at all - Something was preventing the frame from updating.

I tried all the methods listed above, but nothing worked.

So I tried a tonne of things - promoting members back into the original sketch, deleting members entirely. I eventually found one member that I couldn't delete - it happened to be one of the member I added after the intial frame creation.

Now, I recall having this problem quite some time ago, so I was prepared. Last time I had the problem I wrote a simple VBA macro to delete it for me.

gerrardhickson_0-1590617589323.png

All you need to do, is copy the code below into your VBA editor (ALT+F11), then replace the text <OCCURRENCE NAME> with the name of your member occurrence - copy the text you see in your model browser - including the colon and number after it. For example - from the image above it would be "AS 150PFC:5", then press F5 to run the macro.

Notes:

• Save your work first. Incase it goes wrong, you can exit without saving then re-open.
  • I added a 'Stop' into the code so I could debug and make sure it deleted the right part. You can either just hit F5 again when it gets to this line, or delete the 'Stop' line.
Sub DeleteFGPart()

Dim oAssy As AssemblyDocument
Dim oPart As ComponentOccurrence

Set oAssy = ThisApplication.ActiveDocument

For Each oPart In oAssy.ComponentDefinition.Occurrences

If oPart.Name Like "<OCCURRENCE NAME>" Then
   Stop
   oPart.Delete
End If
Next oPart

End Sub

The part will delete easily, then you can re-add it, and your model will update again.

Hope this helps someone!

Message 13 of 14

It didn't work for me 😞
It seems to be a common and long-standing problem.
Not impressed with Autodesk's lack of sorting this problem out a long time ago.
Message 14 of 14

Hi Michael,

Your Frame Gen issue may or may not be the same as this thread. If possible, please share an example that illustrates the behavior (starting a new thread). I would like to understand the behavior better.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report