Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Export files using task scheduler

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
swordmaster
2497 Views, 12 Replies

Export files using task scheduler

I want to save a bunch of inventor 2009 idw's  to AutoCad dwg's

I realise there are add-ins available for doing this, however i wanted to see how Task Scheduler performed this.

I chose a export files task then selected the idw's to save as dwg's

This all went well until i looked at the result.

two things the dwg is saved as filename.idw.dwg     I do not want or need the .idw in the new file name, but can find no setting to remove this.

The dwg's are saved to a zip file     Again i neither need or want these in a zip file I just want them save in the same folder as the idw

Anyone know if this can be done in Task Scheduler?

Inventor 2009

Inventor 2010 Certified Professional
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

Hi swordmaster, 

If you look in the Create Task list, do you see a Convert IDW to DWG task? If so give that a try and I think you'll find that it solves both the naming and the zip file issue.

Edit: Nevermind, Convert IDW to DWG is used for creating Inventor DWGs, rather than AutoCAD DWG's

I hope this helps.
Best of luck to you in all of your Inventor pursuits,
Curtis
http://inventortrenches.blogspot.com

Message 3 of 13

unfortunately the task you mention saves idw's to Inventor dwg's I need to save as Autocad dwg's ........I failed to mention this in my original post Bruce Sword Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Associate Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Professional -------------------------------------------------------------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this e-mail message, including all replies or forwarded messages connected herewith, is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you, the reader of this message, are not an intended recipient hereof, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail message. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender as soon as possible by return e-mail message or by telephone at (601) 425-3151. In addition, please delete the erroneously received message and any reply from your system and any device/media where the message is stored. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 13
rhasell
in reply to: swordmaster

Hi

I can help with 2012, hope this is the same for 2009?

This is a three stage process.

1: This step only happens first time.

From Inventor, export a IDW to DWG

-Save type = AutoCAD DWG.

- Click Options

- Setup your prefered Configuration.

- Choose an AutoCAD template if required (Customised Layer config etc)

- SAVE the Configuration

2: Open Task Scheduler.

- New Task - "EXPORT Files"

- Select your files to be exported. (You might need to change the file filter/type to IDW/DWG)

- Click on one of the files. (The Options Button will become available.)

- Click Options

- Choose the Configuration file that you saved in the previous step.

- Set time to Immediately.

Done.

3: Use a file manager, something other than the POS call Explorer (I use Total Commander)

- Bulk rename all files to your desired name. (Even DOS is better than Explorer.)

- E.G. *.IDW.DWG to *.DWG

Time taken is a few minutes.

The more time consuming process is cleaning the files in AutoCAD, eg, deleting all the bits outside the drawing area. (The bits you don't want the client to see.)

Hope this helps, esp if it works in 2009.

Reg
Please Accept as a solution / Kudos
Message 5 of 13
swordmaster
in reply to: rhasell

Thanks, I will take a look at this process and see if it is supported in 2009 Bruce Sword Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Associate Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Professional -------------------------------------------------------------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this e-mail message, including all replies or forwarded messages connected herewith, is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you, the reader of this message, are not an intended recipient hereof, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail message. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender as soon as possible by return e-mail message or by telephone at (601) 425-3151. In addition, please delete the erroneously received message and any reply from your system and any device/media where the message is stored. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 6 of 13

The process set out by rhaselll will work in 2009, these are the same steps we used since Inventor 2008 to export to dwg.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 7 of 13

yes that is true, I set up the dwg configuration file and the dwg saved correctly. However for me it saves the files to a zip folder which as I said previously I do not want. Bruce Sword Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Associate Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Professional -------------------------------------------------------------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this e-mail message, including all replies or forwarded messages connected herewith, is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you, the reader of this message, are not an intended recipient hereof, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail message. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender as soon as possible by return e-mail message or by telephone at (601) 425-3151. In addition, please delete the erroneously received message and any reply from your system and any device/media where the message is stored. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 8 of 13

If you go back into Inventor and set up another configuration on the first page, at the bottom, is a check box called Pack and Go. Uncheck this box and save the configuration and it will stop putting the dwg files in zip files.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 9 of 13
swordmaster

Hi Martin,

Thanks for the tip on using Total Commander for the renaming of the files. I am aware of this software it is a great tool for doing bulk renaming. However it does have some disadvantages for me

1) This is  licensed software and as such i would need to get my employer to purchase it

2) it add a step to the process which i was hoping not to do

As for the saving to a zip file, my dwg configuration file does not have the pack  and go option checked, but still it creates the zip file. 

Message 10 of 13

Odd, It is definitely the check box that causes this. I have attached the .ini file (in a zip file as it seems .ini is not allowed) that I use to export to CAD, if you want to try it.

Regards

Martin

Inventor 2023
Message 11 of 13

Thanks! I will compare yours with mine Bruce Sword Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Associate Autodesk Inventor 2010 Certified Professional -------------------------------------------------------------------------- CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information in this e-mail message, including all replies or forwarded messages connected herewith, is confidential, may be legally privileged, and is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s). If you, the reader of this message, are not an intended recipient hereof, you are hereby notified that you should not further disseminate, distribute, or forward this e-mail message. If you have received this e-mail message in error, please notify the sender as soon as possible by return e-mail message or by telephone at (601) 425-3151. In addition, please delete the erroneously received message and any reply from your system and any device/media where the message is stored. --------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 12 of 13
swordmaster

Looks like my dwg configuration file had become corrupted. I created it again and now it works.

thanks

Message 13 of 13
Rob67ert

In the reply Robert McMillan gave in : forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Inventor/Task-Scheduler-export-idw-to-dwg/m-p/2652192#M369869

He told it is a defect.

Any change that is will be fixed in the new release?

Robert

If you find this reply helpful ? It would be nice if you use the Accept as Solution or Kudos button below.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report