Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating drawings of positional rep's within sub-assemblies

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
Anonymous
351 Views, 9 Replies

Creating drawings of positional rep's within sub-assemblies

If a sub-assembly has positional representations, how do you create a drawing of the top-level assembly showing the various positional representations contained within the sub-assembly? E.g. A hydraulic ram is made from a piston and a cylinder (and some other bits, but this is keeping it simple) The piston and cylinder are constrained such that a Mate constraint drives the ram open and closed. Two Positional representations are created showing it fully open and fully closed. The strut assembly is now inserted into a general assembly where it forms part of a door mechanism. From the top level door assembly, how do you create a drawing of the two different positional representations of the strut? As far as I can see, a drawings can only be created from the top-level assemblies positional representations. I have tried creating top-level design views of the two sub-ass'y positional representations: No joy. Am I missing something fundamental and/or making the whole thing too complicated? I know I could promote the ram assembly into the top level assembly and make the positional rep's there, but that causes a whole lot more problems downstream. Hope the question makes sense. Peter
9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Check out the e-learning at: http://pointa.autodesk.com/local/enu/portal/vip/members/resource/lc/elearning.jsp this should help. Blair "Peter" wrote in message news:415b6da7_1@newsprd01... > If a sub-assembly has positional representations, how do you create a > drawing of the top-level assembly showing the various positional > representations contained within the sub-assembly? > > E.g. A hydraulic ram is made from a piston and a cylinder (and some other > bits, but this is keeping it simple) The piston and cylinder are constrained > such that a Mate constraint drives the ram open and closed. Two Positional > representations are created showing it fully open and fully closed. The > strut assembly is now inserted into a general assembly where it forms part > of a door mechanism. > > From the top level door assembly, how do you create a drawing of the two > different positional representations of the strut? As far as I can see, a > drawings can only be created from the top-level assemblies positional > representations. > > I have tried creating top-level design views of the two sub-ass'y positional > representations: No joy. Am I missing something fundamental and/or making > the whole thing too complicated? I know I could promote the ram assembly > into the top level assembly and make the positional rep's there, but that > causes a whole lot more problems downstream. > > Hope the question makes sense. > Peter > >
Message 3 of 10
Anonymous

Blair, Would please be so kind to also provide a Username and Password so we can access the "VIP" member site? Most people don't have access to these sites. It's better to explain how to do it... "Blair A. Stunder" wrote in message news:415b7598$1_3@newsprd01... > Check out the e-learning at: > http://pointa.autodesk.com/local/enu/portal/vip/members/resource/lc/elearning.jsp > this should help. > > Blair > "Peter" wrote in message news:415b6da7_1@newsprd01... > > If a sub-assembly has positional representations, how do you create a > > drawing of the top-level assembly showing the various positional > > representations contained within the sub-assembly? > > > > E.g. A hydraulic ram is made from a piston and a cylinder (and some other > > bits, but this is keeping it simple) The piston and cylinder are > constrained > > such that a Mate constraint drives the ram open and closed. Two > Positional > > representations are created showing it fully open and fully closed. The > > strut assembly is now inserted into a general assembly where it forms part > > of a door mechanism. > > > > From the top level door assembly, how do you create a drawing of the two > > different positional representations of the strut? As far as I can see, a > > drawings can only be created from the top-level assemblies positional > > representations. > > > > I have tried creating top-level design views of the two sub-ass'y > positional > > representations: No joy. Am I missing something fundamental and/or > making > > the whole thing too complicated? I know I could promote the ram assembly > > into the top level assembly and make the positional rep's there, but that > > causes a whole lot more problems downstream. > > > > Hope the question makes sense. > > Peter > > > > > >
Message 4 of 10
Anonymous

Hello Peter, Each base view in a drawing can call upon a given Positional Rep. You can place multiple views on the same sheet, each showing different PRs, such as the hydraulic ram in your example. If you would like them overlapping on top of each other, we have provided a VB application to generate a wrapper assembly with each PR as separate instances, each set to Reference. Creating a drawing view of this assembly will show your primary "master" design with the PRs you choose in reference style. The application is called "OverlayAssembly" in the samples directory. Regards, Peter Maxfield Product Design Autodesk > "Peter" wrote in message news:415b6da7_1@newsprd01... If a sub-assembly has positional representations, how do you create a drawing of the top-level assembly showing the various positional representations contained within the sub-assembly? E.g. A hydraulic ram is made from a piston and a cylinder (and some other bits, but this is keeping it simple) The piston and cylinder are constrained such that a Mate constraint drives the ram open and closed. Two Positional representations are created showing it fully open and fully closed. The strut assembly is now inserted into a general assembly where it forms part of a door mechanism. From the top level door assembly, how do you create a drawing of the two different positional representations of the strut? As far as I can see, a drawings can only be created from the top-level assemblies positional representations. I have tried creating top-level design views of the two sub-ass'y positional representations: No joy. Am I missing something fundamental and/or making the whole thing too complicated? I know I could promote the ram assembly into the top level assembly and make the positional rep's there, but that causes a whole lot more problems downstream. Hope the question makes sense. Peter
Message 5 of 10
Anonymous

Optionally you can download an addin (C3_Overlay) that enables you to overlay positional rep drawing views without creating an additional assembly. Depending on your requirements, either program might be the best solution. The lastest version of the add-in is available at http://www.mcadforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1085 Neil "Peter Maxfield (Autodesk)" wrote in message news:415c526e$1_3@newsprd01... > Hello Peter, > > Each base view in a drawing can call upon a given Positional Rep. > You can place multiple views on the same sheet, each showing different > PRs, such as the hydraulic ram in your example. > > If you would like them overlapping on top of each other, we have provided > a VB application to generate a wrapper assembly with each PR as separate > instances, each set to Reference. Creating a drawing view of this assembly > will show your primary "master" design with the PRs you choose in reference > style. > > The application is called "OverlayAssembly" in the samples directory. > > Regards, > Peter Maxfield > Product Design > Autodesk > > > > > > "Peter" wrote in message news:415b6da7_1@newsprd01... > If a sub-assembly has positional representations, how do you create a > drawing of the top-level assembly showing the various positional > representations contained within the sub-assembly? > > E.g. A hydraulic ram is made from a piston and a cylinder (and some other > bits, but this is keeping it simple) The piston and cylinder are constrained > such that a Mate constraint drives the ram open and closed. Two Positional > representations are created showing it fully open and fully closed. The > strut assembly is now inserted into a general assembly where it forms part > of a door mechanism. > > From the top level door assembly, how do you create a drawing of the two > different positional representations of the strut? As far as I can see, a > drawings can only be created from the top-level assemblies positional > representations. > > I have tried creating top-level design views of the two sub-ass'y positional > representations: No joy. Am I missing something fundamental and/or making > the whole thing too complicated? I know I could promote the ram assembly > into the top level assembly and make the positional rep's there, but that > causes a whole lot more problems downstream. > > Hope the question makes sense. > Peter > > >
Message 6 of 10
Anonymous

Thanks all for your comments (and the two routines are great!) - but... I don't think I have explained the problem very well: If an assembly has positional rep's, then creating drawings of those representations is easy. If the assembly does not contain positional rep's, but its sub-assyembly does, you can't make a drawing of the top-level assembly showing the sub-assemblies positional representations. You might say "Create the positional representations at the top level" - but you can't override sub-assembly constraints from there... And you can't promote the sub-assembly into the top-level assembly because that causes all sorts of other assembly problems - least of all the BOM... I'll post the sample "Scissors" assembly onto the customer files under the same heading as this thread in an effort to explain what I am having trouble articulating here :~\ Peter
Message 7 of 10
Anonymous

Hi Peter, Perhaps the followings might be what you're after?. - Create the positional reps required in the subassembly - In your top level assembly, create a new Positional Representation and ensure it is activated. - With the top-level assembly active, right-click the subassembly you want to change (in the browser) and select Override - Click the Representations tab. Check Override and then select the Positional rep you want to be activated when the Positional Rep in the top-level assembly is activated. Switching between the Pos Reps in the top level assembly will now activate the associated Pos Rep in the subassembly. Note that if you need this to work through multiple assembly levels you must set up this relationship between each level of the assembly (Can't override a Pos Rep of a grandchild sub from the top-level assembly). HTH Neil "Peter" wrote in message news:415c7bfa_2@newsprd01... > Thanks all for your comments (and the two routines are great!) - but... I > don't think I have explained the problem very well: > > If an assembly has positional rep's, then creating drawings of those > representations is easy. > > If the assembly does not contain positional rep's, but its sub-assyembly > does, you can't make a drawing of the top-level assembly showing the > sub-assemblies positional representations. > > You might say "Create the positional representations at the top level" - but > you can't override sub-assembly constraints from there... And you can't > promote the sub-assembly into the top-level assembly because that causes all > sorts of other assembly problems - least of all the BOM... > > I'll post the sample "Scissors" assembly onto the customer files under the > same heading as this thread in an effort to explain what I am having trouble > articulating here :~\ > > Peter > >
Message 8 of 10
Anonymous

Excellent - Thank you very much Neil. You learn something new every day! I did not even think to try setting an override on the sub-assembly - I was trying to go too deep. There's quite a lot you can do when overriding an assembly - even toggle it's flexibility?! Hours more fun... Peter
Message 9 of 10
Anonymous

> "Peter" wrote in message news:415c7bfa_2@newsprd01... > > If an assembly has positional rep's, then creating drawings of those > > representations is easy. > > > > If the assembly does not contain positional rep's, but its sub-assyembly > > does, you can't make a drawing of the top-level assembly showing the > > sub-assemblies positional representations. Neil explained how this can be done by using a Representations override. "Neil Munro" writes: > Perhaps the followings might be what you're after?. > > - Create the positional reps required in the subassembly > - In your top level assembly, create a new Positional Representation and > ensure it is activated. > - With the top-level assembly active, right-click the subassembly you want > to change (in the browser) and select Override > - Click the Representations tab. Check Override and then select the > Positional rep you want to be activated when the Positional Rep in the > top-level assembly is activated. > > Switching between the Pos Reps in the top level assembly will now activate > the associated Pos Rep in the subassembly. Neil then said: > Note that if you need this to work through multiple assembly levels you must > set up this relationship between each level of the assembly (Can't override > a Pos Rep of a grandchild sub from the top-level assembly). Actually, you can. So long all the components along the browser path are flagged as "Flexible" you can override a Pos Rep of a grandchild sub from the top-level assembly. So, first open the intermediate subassemblies and set the components of interest to Flexible (you need not have any Pos Reps defined in those intermediate subassemblies). Now follow Neils steps above. You will be able to establish a Representations override on the deep subassembly. -- William K. Sterbenz Inventor Assemblies Development Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 10
Anonymous

As Peter said, "you learn something new every day" Thanks Will. Neil > Actually, you can. So long all the components along the browser path > are flagged as "Flexible" you can override a Pos Rep of a grandchild sub > from the top-level assembly. > > So, first open the intermediate subassemblies and set the components of > interest to Flexible (you need not have any Pos Reps defined in those > intermediate subassemblies). Now follow Neils steps above. You will > be able to establish a Representations override on the deep subassembly. > > -- > William K. Sterbenz > Inventor Assemblies Development > Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report