Community
Inventor Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Inventor Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Inventor topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding Mass Overides to Iparts

32 REPLIES 32
SOLVED
Message 1 of 33
AMN3161
3222 Views, 32 Replies

Adding Mass Overides to Iparts

We have like 30 different filters and i made a Ipart for each one. Now all of these have different masses and the calculated mass doesn’t reflect this. Now i can manually add a custom "other" column into the table but it doesn’t help when calculating a assemblies mass. Is there a way to add a mass override into a Ipart table?

Tags (1)
32 REPLIES 32
Message 21 of 33
DVDM
in reply to: AMN3161

I too have run into this limitation with iParts a few times as well.

A complicated workaround using iLogic, and then needing a custom parts list style to display a custom mass value, is just not acceptable. I want to use these iParts in an assembly, and I want to use a normal parts list style on my drawing. I also want ten other people to be able to use these parts in their assemblies and not have to worry about using custom parts lists when their assembly contains one of these parts.

So why would I want make mass overrides to an iPart?

Say I have a very simple model, just an envelope for a standard part. I want to use these in my assemblies, so I'm after a part number, description, correct weight. As an added bonus I protect IP, and simplify my assembly so the graphics will struggle less.

I could easily create one iPart for 10 different component families, if I could assign a custom mass. Because I can't, and can only set the iPart to one mass override, I need to create 10 iParts, one for each family.

Same with for example a 3rd party supplied electric motor. I get the model as a dumb solid from supplier. One model (sometimes supplied as a surface), can have the same envelope for several configurations, and have different weights for each configuration. I could have turned it into an iPart if I could use mass overrides in the table, but instead had to file/save as to create separate models with correct mass overrides.

Consider this a feature request.

Message 22 of 33
jingyi.liu
in reply to: DVDM

I met similar requirement years ago, you can find solution in attachment.  

Leverage iLogic is quite easy to override mass property of each  ipart member with customized value defined in the ipart spreadsheet.

Jingyi Liu

Inventor Product Manager
Message 23 of 33
n.schotten
in reply to: bobvdd

How is a custom field helpfull?

You end up with 2 mass columns is the BOM (useless, confusing).

And checking the total mass of an assembly is still working with the wrong mass data.

We need the actual mass property in the ipart /iasm table. (and surface & volume)

Message 24 of 33
AMN3161
in reply to: n.schotten

Well the one column is meant to override the physical mass of the part, so both columns would be the same value. This would be useful if i create a Ipart factory with lets say 12 different parts. Each instance of that 12 is a different size but similar enough where it can be created by one ipart factory. If this part is from a vendor and the actual model file doesn't have all the internals to accurately calculate the mass. Then we have to override the calculated mass with the mass given by the vendor. By being able to making a column that will be in the ipart table to override the physical mass of each children of that Ipart factory. Then for every instance of a part will have a accurate mass that doesn't need to determined by having accurate geometry. 

Message 25 of 33
n.schotten

?

In the picture from Bob, the idw has 2 mass columns. and they differ.

Adding a custom property to the iprops, then adding that property to the ipart table does nothing to change the actual reported mass of the ipart/iasm.

Showing the custom mass in a column next to the actual mass is extra work and to much extra data. Also the assembly that the parts are in will report a wrong total weight as well.

We need to have the ipart/iasm table mass column directly affect the iproperties.mass value.

I tried that with an ilogic rule but that does not work. Could be because they are custom library files, protected under the Vault rules.

In other words.. Autodesk needs to let us add the actual mass property to the ipart/iasm table.

Niels

Message 26 of 33
AMN3161
in reply to: n.schotten

This is a older post, but I figure just make a working part file to explain it. The attached part has 4 different configurations in the Ipart table. Each one of them has a different mass even though they are the same size (same Volume and Material). The Ilogic will replace the physical mass of the part with the value in the ipart table. Once you switch the ipart table configuration then hit save, it will trigger the rule to replace the physical mass. This is extremely useful for ipart families that have different masses that will not accurately be calculated by geometry and material alone. So the way the assemblies see these part files is no different then how they would be if the software calculated the mass.

Message 27 of 33
n.schotten

Hi Adamnikel,

i tried your part.

see the screencast i made:

http://autode.sk/2fElDq4

it fails. Adding all 4 models to an asm and then the idw and checking the mass, it is screwed up. Nowhere do i get the actual mass as specified in the table.

after the video ended i changed the bom table custom field to the name of that in the table and i did get a filled column with those values. But the actual reported mass that IV works with remained unchanged. And that is a fail in my book.

I tried running the ilogic rule. regenerating the ipart files etc. nothing helps to put the custom weight into the mass property.

Niels

Message 28 of 33

I tried to create this Mass External Rule to apply mass to each item of an iassembly and could not get it to work.  I read one message that said it doesn't work,

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/inventor-forum/help-understanding-complicated-ilogic-code-comments-in...

Has anyone actually gotten this to work.

Thanks

Message 29 of 33

Hi Guys,

I recalled this discussion before. There are two options to consider. For regular iPart, you could create custom material styles and manipulate the density to get the desirable mass for each member. Or, you could turn the iPart factory to custom iPart factory. Once it is custom, you can override the mass just like any regular part.

Many thanks!

Johnson Shiue (johnson.shiue@autodesk.com)
Software Test Engineer
Message 30 of 33

Thank you.

I am wanting to have driven mass of an iAssembly where each iAssembly has a unique overridden mass.  When I try to right click in a column or cell of an iAssembly I don't get the "Custom Parameter Column".  I created an iPart and set a column to a "Custom Parameter Column" however when I "set each" member and modify it's mass in iProperties all of the members obtain the last value set.   First is this possible in an IAssembly and second what am I missing to apply this in an IPart.

Message 31 of 33

Hi! Unfortunately, iAssembly does not support custom members. This is a very old deficiency. We are aware of it and we are investigating solutions for future releases.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer
Message 32 of 33

Thanks

So there is no way to have iAssemblies have different masses for each child.

The above method does or doesn't work?

Message 33 of 33

Hi! I don't think it will work for iAssembly. The reason is that the mass prop isn't a configurable property on the iAssembly table. Also, the material style is in each part, not in the assembly. The assembly mass prop aggregates from the subcomponents.

Many thanks!

Software Test Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report