Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Putting material on single building face

19 REPLIES 19
SOLVED
Message 1 of 20
dean_petersen
2807 Views, 19 Replies

Putting material on single building face

Hi Folks,

In Infrastructure Modeller 2013 you could get a coloured material, change it to a jpg image and apply that to a single face of a building, or if you put it on the roof of a building it appplied it to all of the faces of the building at once.

Now when I try it in Infraworks it does not give me the option to apply it to just one face (it always wraps the image all the way around the building which chops it in bad places). Does anyone know how to do this now?? I have  tried holding down other keys like shift ctrl and alt ........ but so far no luck...... Smiley Frustrated

(See attachmed image)

Thanks.

Dean

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20

I have noticed this too.  I like the way it worked before, as you mentioned.  I haven't found a way to do this yet.

Todd Rogers
Message 3 of 20
lim.wendy
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Hey guys!

Click on the Infraworks Icon>Options>Model Generation>Building Facade Detail>Change it to MEDIUM

InfraworksLOD.png

Once that's done, you'll be able to apply it to each facade. 

Smiley Happy

If my post answers your question, please click the "Accept as Solution" button. This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Wendy Lim

Data Nerd | Community Advocate | AEC Industry

facebook twitter twitter blogs pm

Join the new online Rail Community

Customer Value Hub

Message 4 of 20
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: lim.wendy

Well that was easy.  Who would have thought??

Todd Rogers
Message 5 of 20

Well there you go.

I would not have found that one myself! Thanks Wendy.

Dean

Message 6 of 20
suri_2282
in reply to: lim.wendy

i tried with the options which you show on snap, but it's not working.

Please suggest some other other option

Message 7 of 20
ryan.beisaw
in reply to: suri_2282

i agree, this didnt work for me either....

Message 8 of 20
frosty1_4me
in reply to: ryan.beisaw

I've been struggling with this, and I figured it out.

The issue is in the process of how you must apply your style to one side of the building.  In order to apply a style to only one side, you not only have to set the model generation to medium, but you then MUST apply a style to the side of the building which does indeed apply that style to all sides.  Once that is done, then you can add your style to only one side of the building.  Its a reduntant step which forces you to add a style to the building first, then go back to the same building and apply the individual styles you actually want to see to each facade of the building.

Message 9 of 20

If anyone else is still having trouble getting this to work correctly, there is one more tiny detail:

After applying the facade style to the whole building, make sure you DE-SELECT the building.

Then you can drag and drop your new image style to any building face.

Hope that helps anyone else that just pulled all their hair out too!

Darryl

Message 10 of 20

Hey guys!

Then Click on the Infraworks Icon>Options>Model Generation>Building Facade Detail>Change it to MEDIUM  (Solved! by lim.wendy)

Continue Click Tab Style Palette --> Facade --> 1.jpg

Drag&drop a color to a facade, now only this facade will be affected. Good luck!!!

Message 11 of 20

There is a little more to it than simply that.  See my above post.  Even in the screen shot you offered, you will notice that there has already been a texture applied to the building, I've noticed that must be done first which then allows you to add a façade to the side of the building you want. 

Message 12 of 20
Carrillof
in reply to: dean_petersen

Hello, can not be done directly by face, now if you upload the image you can add it but this wraps the whole building. What you can do is to edit the style of the facades, for that you go to the styles palette and paste the images by stretches.

Message 13 of 20

That's right, I just illustrated with picture Smiley LOL

Message 14 of 20

Hi all,

Jeff has done an excellent (as usual) update to this method using the latest version of Infraworks here:

http://civilimmersion.typepad.com/civil_immersion/2017/08/using-photographs-as-infraworks-building-f...

If you have not subscribed to his Civil Immersion blog yet I can highly recommend it.......

Dean Petersen

Message 15 of 20
cdavisPMK3R

Does this same method work in 2020.1?  I cannot make it work.

Message 16 of 20
dean_petersen
in reply to: cdavisPMK3R

I don't know about .1 , but it definitely works in 2020.0 

Do you have HIGH facade detail turned on in the Application Settings?

Message 17 of 20
cdavisPMK3R

Yes, High and have regenerated the model.

Message 18 of 20
dean_petersen
in reply to: cdavisPMK3R

OK, Could be a 2020.1 thing.....

Message 19 of 20
sfaraut

Hello all,

I have tested with all level of detail for the facades, and applied a style befor applying my texture material.

And I also have the problem: texture applied on all facades, not individually...

Was working before (version 2018) and I have now the 2020.1 version (2020.1.38.0)!

Please help!

Thanks.

Message 20 of 20
Karsten.Saenger
in reply to: sfaraut

Hi @sfaraut ,

it should still work in the latest InfraWorks version.

Make sure all display settings are set to high quality.
Apply a facade style for the complete building first - drag the style to the roof.

The drag other styles to the different facades, see this screencast: https://autode.sk/3bltpB4

Regards,

Karsten.

Karsten Saenger

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report