Community
InfraWorks Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s InfraWorks Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular InfraWorks topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2013 Models in 2014

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
1771 Views, 13 Replies

2013 Models in 2014

When bringing in a 2013 model into 2014, the storboards captions are jumbled together and the trunks of the palm trees on the roadway are not there.  I have Show Backfaces toggled on...

4-4-2012 8-46-10 AM.png

Todd Rogers
13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
Henrik-B
in reply to: ToddRogers-WPM

Hi,

The problem of the transparent trees for some styles should be fixed in later versions. For 2014, it can be fixed by replacing a single style texture in the resource folder.

If you tell me the name of the style for which you have this issue, I can find out the corresponding texture and send you a fixed version. (we have different palm tree styles - so I couldn't easily see it from the image).

To find out the style, you can select the tree and check the style name in the Properties explorer.

Message 3 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM
in reply to: Henrik-B

This is the road style, Boulevard with Palms.  I posted in another thread that this is just exclusive to Infraworks 2014.  It really doesn't have anything to do with opening up a 2013 database in 2014.  We have tested this on several machines and can reproduce this issue with no effort.  Seems to be the first bug.

Todd Rogers
Message 4 of 14
Henrik-B

Here is a workround that should fix the transparent trunk for you:

1. In Windows explorer, find your infraworks resource folder. The path is usually something like this:

C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\InfraWorks 2014\Resources

Note that ProgramData is a system folder that is often hidden by default, so that you might not see ProgramData in c:.

2. Inside the resource folder, the texture file that causes the problem in your case is in this subfolder:

<Your_ResourceFolder>\assets\3DSMaxContent\Trees\PalmTree007_Var01

Here, there should be a file called PalmBark001_Diffuse.jpg

3. Replace this file by the one I attached here.

This should fix the California Palm tree model - which is the road decoration of your road style.

Just as a background information - particularly useful if you get this issue with other (or own) models: The problem here is that the models contain some monochrome jpg textures that are not handled correctly by AIW 2014. The attached file is another version of the same image, but converted to color-rgb. I obtained it by opening the jpg in IrfanView, choosing "Increase Color Depth" in the image menu, and overwriting the texture file with the converted one.

Please let me know if it helped or if anything is unclear.

Message 5 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

That worked great.  Now, what is the difference in the .jpg that you attached opposed to the one that was already in the folder?

Todd Rogers
Message 6 of 14
Henrik-B

Great to hear. The difference is that the new image is an rgb jpg image - while the old one was monochrome jpg. This works around the bug in 2014 and bring the texture in correctly.

Message 7 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

I have other trees doing the same thing. Can I copy the .jpg from 2013 and and replace the one in 2014?

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Smartphone
Todd Rogers
Message 8 of 14
Henrik-B

Thanks for reporting that it helped. If you like to know how to recognize and repair monochrome jpgs - this is easily possible using the free tool irfanview:

http://www.irfanview.de/

When opening the original version of the texture, you would see in the status bar something like "512 x 2048 x 8 BPP". The 8 BPP indicates that it is monochrome.

If you choose Image->IncreaseColorDepth, and then "24 BPP", it will change to  "512 x 2048 x 24 BPP". Then, you just have to save as jpg again to have a converted version that works fine in 2014.

Message 9 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

Nice!! This is great info.  Would you mind if I blogged about this?

Todd Rogers
Message 10 of 14
Henrik-B

You are welcome - feel free to blog about it.

In case you see other models with this issue: One problem is that it is sometimes hard to find out which texture file caused the actual problem. If you cannot find it for any of our shipped models, feel free to ask me I and I will find out.

One other case I already know of is this one:

<Resources>\assets\3DSMaxContent\Trees\tree016_var05_darkgreen\Bark001_diffuse.jpg

This texture has the same issue and is not just used for tree016_var05 style, but also for some others. So, replacing it by the one attached here will fix a few other tree variants at once.

Message 11 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

That is the other one that I was actually referring to.  Thanks again.

Todd Rogers
Message 12 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

Here you go...

http://civil3dj.wordpress.com/2013/04/12/infraworks-2014-bug-resolved/

Thanks again!! Smiley Happy

Todd Rogers
Message 13 of 14
Henrik-B

Thank you, too, for posting it in the blog. Since it's quite likely for most users to encounter this problem in 2014 sooner or later, it's good that more people know about it.

Message 14 of 14
ToddRogers-WPM

I found another material that needed to be updated.  It's C:\ProgramData\Autodesk\InfraWorks 2014\Resources\assets\shared_textures\Protein\Roof_Materials\Thermal - Moisture.Roofing - Siding Panels.Metal Ribbed.Copper.bump.jpg

Todd Rogers

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Rail Community

Autodesk Design & Make Report