Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modify and Replace Existing Factory Assets

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
bgarden
603 Views, 4 Replies

Modify and Replace Existing Factory Assets

Is it possible to modify an existing Factory Asset and replace all previously placed Assets with new version?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
XuesongBai
in reply to: bgarden

Hi there,

Yes, it is possible.

The workflow should be as below.

1, Modify the existing asset. Or maybe publish it to factory asset library

2,Place the modified asset into Inventor 3D layout(The instance of asset will be stored in Factory Assets folder in each project work space)

3, Select all previously placed assets in Inventor 3D layout

4,Use Replace All command to replace all previously placed assets with new version by select the instance from Factory Assets folder 

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 5
bgarden

Thanks for the reply.  I was however asking whether it is possible to modify an asset and have all placed occurences automatically updated without the use of the Replace All command.  I realize the way I phrased the question was a little misleading.  I'm guessing from your answer however this is probably not a possibility.   It seems once an Asset has been created there is no way to modify the asset without performing a "Save As" and essentially republishing a new asset.

Message 4 of 5
XuesongBai

Hi there,

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

According to the current asset modification mechanism, it is truly impossible to replace all previous assets automatically.

If you modify the factory asset, new instance will be saved, that is distinguished from the previous assets.

So Replace/Replace All function will be the workaround.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 5 of 5
bgarden
in reply to: XuesongBai

Thanks Xuesong.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report