Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Measure Distance to AutoCAD Overlay in Layout

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
petestrycharske
676 Views, 3 Replies

Measure Distance to AutoCAD Overlay in Layout

All,

Is there a way to measure between an asset and the AutoCAD overlay in an Inventor layout?  I have tried to snap to the points using the measure tool and have also tried to project to a sketch, but neither method seems to allow me to select that option.  If I sync to AutoCAD, I can check the dimensions, but it would be handier to check them within Inventor, where I am doing the modeling.  If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Oops, I should also mention I am still using 2014.  Is this possible in 2015?

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
suhang
in reply to: petestrycharske

Hi Pete,

There is no a straightforward way to measure the distance between an asset and the dwg overlay. But if you just want to move the asset to the right position using dwg overlay as a reference, we do have a very convinient tool to support that. You can check two snap types, snap to dwg overlay and snap to trail line, then use reposition command to move the asset and use the dwg overlay as a reference.

I also record a video to show how it works. Hope this is helpful.

BTW this works for FDS 2014.

Message 3 of 4
nstalker
in reply to: petestrycharske

I also think this would be a useful feature - measuring the distance from a 3d asset edge to a line on the DWG overlay

Message 4 of 4
petestrycharske
in reply to: nstalker

nstalker,

Thanks for the Kudos!  If you wouldn't mind, could you also apply Kudos the ideas in the Factory Idea Station?  The more votes, the more attention they tend to receive.  Here is a link to the idea and give it a kudo if you could.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Factory-Design-Suite-IdeaStation/Need-ability-to-snap-to-drawing-overl...

Hope all is well and have a most blessed night!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report