Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FDS Assests With Long File Names

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
ADNpati
780 Views, 8 Replies

FDS Assests With Long File Names

Hello There,

When a factory asset brought from asset browser and placed in factory layout, FDS is generating a looooong binary digit file name to asset.

EX:   BDG CLINKER 1000 X 400 INFILLS R_1200_14692B9770794E696176BD2FB93B3BB2.iam

File name ERR in FDS.JPG

Is it how Factory Design Suite is devoloped or is there any hort fix available???

I am using actory Design Suite from more than a year, and addressed this issue to some resellesers and in webinars as well but there is no response on this.

Mechanical Engineer
Inventor Applications Engineer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my solution seems to remedy your problem, please press the Accept Solution button, Some KUDOS -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
XuesongBai
in reply to: ADNpati

Hi There,

That is really as designed. That is designed for distinguish the same asset but different parameter value.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 9
ADNpati
in reply to: XuesongBai

Hi Mate,

Xuesong, if that is how it is designed, I have couple of questions in my mind from 2 years.

1.  When we use an asset in Factory Layout, It comes with Automated generated long Filename.

If we update or do any chages to MAIN ASSET IN LIBRARY, does Inventor updates (Automatically) All the     assets used in factory layout(s)???????? Does Asset in Factory Layout retains any Link with aseet in Library??

2.   If a desinger is using Asset for more than once (we will be using each asset more than 10 times a day per designer) in different Factory layouts to assemble designs, we will be ending up having thousands of files on hard drive in Factory Assets Folder at the end of week. Is there a way to control this??? 

3.   If a factory asset is brought from asset browser and placed in Factory layout along with other assets, And again the same asset is brought in to different Factory layout, will FDS creates different files for different usage or one different file a day or ???? IS there any calculation for that???

Sorry Xuesong for bothering you... but these queations are blowing our heads...

Hope I get answer...

Best Regards,

AD.

Mechanical Engineer

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If my solution seems to remedy your problem, please press the Accept Solution button, Some KUDOS -

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Message 4 of 9
XuesongBai

Hello AD,

First all, thank you very much for your kind concerns and comments.

For your question 1: There is no link between the asset instance and asset in library. Frankly, we have recieved several the such concern from different customers. Your addtional feedback helps us prioritize functionality as candidates for a future release of Factory Design Suite.

For your question 2 and 3: If your different Inventor projects using the same workspace, the same asset instance will not be saved into the hard drive again, all of the assets files are saved into the folder, called Factory Assets, which is created by the FDS. Otherwise, If your different Inventor projects using the different workspace, the other Factory Assets folder will be created by FDS. And the same assets that have been used in other layout assembly, will be also saved into the such new Factory Assets folder.

So that, according to the situation of FDS, I recommend you that you use the same workspace for different Inventor layout assembly.Furthermore, please use Pack and Go function in Inventor to clear up the assets that are not used in the layout assembly.

Please let me know if you have any comments and advise. Your idea will be really helping FDS more professional.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 5 of 9
ADNpati

Hello Xuesong,

Loong time No speak... Sorry for delay in reply.

With our queastions,

1.   I will be very much effective and use full, if we have option to break a link b/w asset and the original file.

Because, as dessgners we create assemblies and test them in FDS enviroment, and iif needed changes will be made to the existing original file. It would be much helpful and handy if you we a link/break option.

2.   With your brief, I understand that, FDS assets are not good to check into vault. Am I correct?? why I thought like that is, if we have a good folder structure of parts and subaasembles used in Factory layout, we will loose the folder structure and all the assets will be saved in a new Factory Folder. 

Am i getting it wright??

Will wait fot your reply.

Best regards,

AD.

Mechanical Engineer

Message 6 of 9
XuesongBai

Hello AD.

Hope you are doing well.

For your question1:  Actually there is no link between copied asset and original file. But mostly, users want the link. As you mentioned, if some change to original file, the copied assets should be updated accordingly. We will consider your requested functionality in the future realese.

For your question2: If you are using diffrent Inventor project with different workspace folder, I think the answer is yes. However, I suggest that you use the same one Inventor project but with good folder structure for parts and subassembly. The reason is that you can make sure all assets are saved in the same Factory Asset folder. Another important reason is that you can easily "copy design" the similar old project to new one in Vault.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Message 7 of 9
jweiss1313

FDS 2015 long file names are causing all sorts of issues when trying to check in and out of Autodesk Vault Professional 2015.  Vault is also having issues creating visualization files due to these extremely long file names.  Something has to be done by Autodesk to resolve these issues!  Please see the attached screen captures.

Please help

John C Weiss Jr.
CAD Manager
Follett LLC.
Message 8 of 9
jeff.pek
in reply to: jweiss1313

Hi John -

Thanks for the note, and the screenshots.

These long file names are a critical element of the FDS asset instancing mechanism -- to ensure that we have different instance files for different unique sets of parameter values.

We have no plans to change this mechanism.

The Vault limitations here are obviously a concern. I will be raising this issue with the Vault team to see if they are able to make changes to increase the maximum lengths of directory and file paths -- there really should be a way to avoid this.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Jeff

Message 9 of 9
Logos_Atum
in reply to: jeff.pek

Hello there,

the issues we´re experiencing every now and then,

might be caused by the same limitation. Every now

and then we cannot copy the Pack and Go folder to

or from a network location because Windows reports

the filenames to be to long.

Choosing Pack and Go to a different path usually works

fine.

Also I still can 7ZIP the folder without any error messages.

Somehow this restrictions neither apply in general, nor

do they apply consistently.

Therefore

HELP!

Kind regards

Daniel

Dogs aren´t flammable.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report