Factory Design Utilities Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Factory Design Utilities Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Factory Design Utilities topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Automatically Create Factory Asset Tags

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
petestrycharske
572 Views, 8 Replies

Automatically Create Factory Asset Tags

All,

Have a series of conveyors and wish to create an asset tag for each one, to track the specific serial numbers.  Is there a way to automatically create and sequence the individual asset tags.  My thought was to create a special work point specificallyl for this purpose and then see if there was a way using iLogic to create an asset tag for each conveyor at that workpoint.  If so, can anyone recommend how to access the necessary properties via iLogic?

If that is not possible, is there any way to do this in AutoCAD?  I see in the properties for an asset, there is a field for asset tag, even if I haven't assigned one in Inventor.  If you have any questions about either process, please do not hesitate to contact me.  Hope all is well and have a most blessed day!

Peace,

Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

Pete,

I have a try in ACAD.It is not easy to do that. That requires some time and effort to do a deep development.
As you mentioned, we need to dedine the script with increment. And assign the tag value without duplicated valule for each instance.

Could you please tell me how many users want this function?

Thanks,
-Xuesong
Please mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 3 of 9

Xuesong,

I currently have one client who wants this, but could see more in the future.

Sent from my iPhone
Just a guy on a couch...

Please give a kudos if helpful and mark as a solution if somehow I got it right.
Message 4 of 9

Is there a way to generate Asset Tags via iLogic?

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 5 of 9
jeff.pek
in reply to: petestrycharske

Interesting idea.

This is possible, though would require directly writing some XML data into new (or already-existing) attributes associated with the ComponentOccurrence objects representing the asset instances.

This would technically be unsupported, since we don't have an official FDS API.

Jeff

Message 6 of 9
petestrycharske
in reply to: jeff.pek

Jeff,

Are there any plans on making the FDS API available?  A few of my clients are really utilizing iLogic and it would be great to be able to utilize some of these functions.

Do you have any resources that you could share with me on the XML that would be required to set something like what I am proposing up?  I am not an XML programmer, so I generally need all the help I can get :>)

I will post this on the Idea Station at some point, hopefully today, as I could see this request coming up again from customers, especially conveyor type customers.

Is there a way to pass a sketch from Inventor to AutoCAD using the Sync tool?  I am working on a backup way, but am having problems getting the sketch from Inventor to AutoCAD.  I can post as a different topic, if you wish.  Thanks for all the help and have a most blessed day!

Peace,
Pete

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 7 of 9

Pete,

We can publish the 2d dwg asset using the sketch in Inventor. What is the problem you are facing now?

-Xuesong

6-9-2014 10-01-31 PM.png

Message 8 of 9

Xuesong,

I have tried to publish the sketch along with the 3D asset to see if that would get me where I would like to go, but wasn't able to get the same result.  See the screenshots attached to show you what I mean.

Asset Published with Sketch.png 

Asset with Sketch Published

Inventor Layout.png

Inventor Layout

AutoCAD Sync Results.png

Sync to AutoCAD Results

I had hoped to use the sketch to control the colors of different shapes in the 2D asset view as well, but that didn't work either.  I posted about that question here: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Autodesk-Factory-Design-Suite/Change-Asset-Layer-via-iLogic/m-p/508050... My hope was to be able the change the colors of the individual components within a shape without having to use iLogic, but as you can see didn't get that to work either.

Just a guy on a couch...

Message 9 of 9

Pete,

Frankly, that is a limitation of converting sketch with colors into 2d asset.I will put the requirement into FDS backlog.

Could be the layer in Inventor and ACAD working for you right now? Since we can assign the asset into different catagory layers which can be defined in Inventor and ACAD factory templates.

Thanks,

-Xuesong

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report