Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
194 Views, 7 Replies

tool pallets

ok tool pallets at a mystery to me no matter how much i study them. i have created a railing style placed it in the drawing saved the railing style and then dragged it into the tool pallet thingy. checked the properties and it says its the new railing however when i drag it into the drawing it says its the new railing but it displays as the standard railing style. the only way to use the new railing style is to pick the one in the drawing and right click and use the "add selected" option. what am i missing?
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

How are you dragging it to the tool palette? I have found it best to drag from the style manager to the tool palette. "mike" wrote in message news:4173fe5e$1_2@newsprd01... ok tool pallets at a mystery to me no matter how much i study them. i have created a railing style placed it in the drawing saved the railing style and then dragged it into the tool pallet thingy. checked the properties and it says its the new railing however when i drag it into the drawing it says its the new railing but it displays as the standard railing style. the only way to use the new railing style is to pick the one in the drawing and right click and use the "add selected" option. what am i missing?
Message 3 of 8
Anonymous

Make sure to save the drawing where the railing is first, thna drag it to the tool palette. When dragging to the tool palette it looks in the DWG on the harddrive not the drawing in memory. "mike" wrote in message news:4173fe5e$1_2@newsprd01... ok tool pallets at a mystery to me no matter how much i study them. i have created a railing style placed it in the drawing saved the railing style and then dragged it into the tool pallet thingy. checked the properties and it says its the new railing however when i drag it into the drawing it says its the new railing but it displays as the standard railing style. the only way to use the new railing style is to pick the one in the drawing and right click and use the "add selected" option. what am i missing?
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Jarod wrote: > > Make sure to save the drawing where the railing is first, thna drag it > to the tool palette. When dragging to the tool palette it looks in the > DWG on the harddrive not the drawing in memory. > Yup... and it's best to only D-n-D from a "Library" drawing as the tool will *always* need the original DWG, in it's original location that it was made from. What we need is a way to specify a central library of DWG's that tool palettes use. ADT's solution is neat, but users typically don't "get" that the DWG is always needed. :( -- David Kurtz Peckham & Wright Architects, Inc. Columbia, Missouri
Message 5 of 8
calfcreek

This seems like a good point to intecede on another similar issue. We have many detail drawings that I want to incorporate into tool palettes, ie window/door head, jamb, sill details. I can't for the life of me figure the best way to do it. If I have a drawing that contains all of the details, (which we now have) then I must block each detail to drag onto the palette, (then set tool properties to explode on insert if I wish).
But then the block must be contained in the drawing template. Obviously, this could lead to thousands of blocks in the template.
Otherwise, I have to separate each detail into a drawing file of its own for making a tool for each...another bummer if I might say.
Anyone have a better solution for details on palettes?

Sorry, Mike for butt'n in.

Keith D. Rodebush
SGAI
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

"But then the block must be contained in the drawing template." By this do you mean the template from which you start your drawings? That is not true. If you had a source file with all of your details as blocks, saved to a location that is accessible to all users, you can create tools from that source file that will insert the blocks without having the blocks defined in your template file.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous

Drag your blocks from the design center to the palettes. I believe that the tool palettes load only the block selected. "calfcreek" wrote in message news:20952703.1098137149092.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > This seems like a good point to intecede on another similar issue. We have many detail drawings that I want to incorporate into > tool palettes, ie window/door head, jamb, sill details. I can't for the life of me figure the best way to do it. If I have a > drawing that contains all of the details, (which we now have) then I must block each detail to drag onto the palette, (then set > tool properties to explode on insert if I wish). > But then the block must be contained in the drawing template. Obviously, this could lead to thousands of blocks in the template. > Otherwise, I have to separate each detail into a drawing file of its own for making a tool for each...another bummer if I might > say. > Anyone have a better solution for details on palettes? > > Sorry, Mike for butt'n in. > > Keith D. Rodebush > SGAI
Message 8 of 8
calfcreek

Thanks guys, sometimes I just get to pounding my head on the wall and don't see the door! 🙂

Keith D. Rodebush
SGAI

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report