Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ref edit Layer 0-refedit0

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
jdrmoto
5108 Views, 5 Replies

ref edit Layer 0-refedit0

When I ref-edit a block or x-ref often a layer is created based on the layer of the entity that takes the form of (layer name)-refedit0. The layer is locked and has a different color than the original layer color. If I unlock and edit, upon closing (with save) I get a message "reference has been modifies. Using original position of reference for check-in." Then the block/xref will either dissapear or be inserted as an exploded block. This is a BIG problem for rededit in place. The only 'fix' I know is to edit the original x-ref file or explode the block.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: jdrmoto

Why are you unlocking that layer? AutoCAD creates that layer to hold any entities in the item being REFEDITed that are not chosen to be part of the selection set. If you did not select all of the block/XREF sub-entities you need to modify, you can either cancel and start over or operate on those you did select, then repeat the REFEDIT, select the missing items and operate on them.

--

David Koch
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
Message 3 of 6
jdrmoto

David, The entire block/x-ref is selected to edit. Some of the entities are on the refedit0 layer and are locked, the rest of the entites are on the original layers and can be manipulated. This occurs if 'enabe unique layer names and symbols' is checked or unchecked. Also happens to both converted v14 and 2002 files. I use the design center (from the server) to insert blocks on a specific layer but the problem exists even if I insert as a block. We have set up large projects using x-refs as building parts to reduce quantity of drafting. We need to refedit one x-ref against the adjacent x-refs. This problem is significant for the way we have set up the project. All platforms are effected (win 2000, & NT desktops and win 2000 server.
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

Setting up to REFEDIT is a two-step process. First you pick the block reference (internal or external) to edit, then you get a dialog that shows you what you picked and allows you to choose to enable/disable unique layer and symbol names (have not played with this) and whether to display attribute definitions for editing. Assuming the reference name is as expected, you would then click on OK, and are prompted to select nested entities.

The entities that you select at this point are the ones on the "original" layers and can be manipulated. Any entities that you do not select are on the locked layer, and can not be edited. If you need to edit all entities, select them all at the select entities prompt.

--

David Koch
Member of the Autodesk Discussion Forum Moderator Program
Message 5 of 6
jdrmoto

David, I select ALL of the block/x-ref as refedit selection group. This problem is MAJOR! I need to be able to edit all of the items selected. I know how refedit is supposed to work, the issue is that for this office it does not. I have set up a very large project as mentioned previously and I need to have this function work. There must be a reason for the message 'using original poition of reference for checkin. Reference has been moved.' As well there must be a reason that selected items are put on the refedit0 locked layer. Could there be an issue with the drawing environment or options settings?
Message 6 of 6
Nikki101

I am having the same issues and it is unbelievably frustrating.  I has cost our firm a tonne of money in wasted time!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report