Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

layerkey overrides

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
135 Views, 4 Replies

layerkey overrides

could someone please describe how to use a layerkey override? i have the layerkeys. i have the walls. i want to be able to place a wall in the drawing on the layer in the layer key. i do NOT want to use a palette in this scenario. thank you for your help, daron
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Daron This is covered in the online help, but a quick synopsis is 1. Launch the Layer Manager 2. Select the Layer Override toolbar button 3. Type in the appropriate override value in the list, or select by picking the [...] button (e.g type "Demo" into the Minor 2 field) You can also replace stpe 1 and 2 by typing "LayerKeyOverride" at the command line. In addition Matt Dillon covered this quite well in his brain dump available here: http://tinyurl.com/2gnmb Note that in 2005 you will be able to get access to this from the drawing status bar as well Best regards mark webb, autodesk "Daron Denton" wrote in message news:405732bf$1_3@newsprd01... > could someone please describe how to use a layerkey override? > > i have the layerkeys. i have the walls. i want to be able to place a wall in > the drawing on the layer in the layer key. > > i do NOT want to use a palette in this scenario. > > thank you for your help, > daron > >
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Mark, thanks for taking the time to reply. i do appreciate it, but i must not be asking the question correctly. How does the layer override you suggested apply to the walladd command? for arguments sake, let's say i'm doing this in lisp... (setvar "clayer" (aecgeneratelayerkey "WALL-EXT")) (command ".walladd" .... i don't understand how the layerkey override applies here. i already have the layer keys. i want the walls to be drawn on the layer generated by the key "WALL-EXT". how do i do this? thanks, daron "mark webb, autodesk" wrote in message news:40574624$1_3@newsprd01... > Daron > > This is covered in the online help, but a quick synopsis is > > 1. Launch the Layer Manager > 2. Select the Layer Override toolbar button > 3. Type in the appropriate override value in the list, or select by picking > the [...] button (e.g type "Demo" into the Minor 2 field) > > You can also replace stpe 1 and 2 by typing "LayerKeyOverride" at the > command line. > > In addition Matt Dillon covered this quite well in his brain dump available > here: http://tinyurl.com/2gnmb > > Note that in 2005 you will be able to get access to this from the drawing > status bar as well > > Best regards > mark webb, autodesk > > "Daron Denton" wrote in message > news:405732bf$1_3@newsprd01... > > could someone please describe how to use a layerkey override? > > > > i have the layerkeys. i have the walls. i want to be able to place a wall > in > > the drawing on the layer in the layer key. > > > > i do NOT want to use a palette in this scenario. > > > > thank you for your help, > > daron > > > > > >
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

The only way to do this directly, is to use the Layer Key setting on a wall tool. Otherwise the "walladd" will always use the value of the Wall layer key (with applied overrides) Can you explain your reluctance to use the tool system? It was purposefully designed to allow you to setup specific defaults that can be applied to new pbjects with a single click, the layer properties being one of them cheers Mark "Daron Denton" wrote in message news:4057501f$1_2@newsprd01... > Mark, thanks for taking the time to reply. i do appreciate it, but i must > not be asking the question correctly. > > How does the layer override you suggested apply to the walladd command? for > arguments sake, let's say i'm doing this in lisp... > (setvar "clayer" (aecgeneratelayerkey "WALL-EXT")) > (command ".walladd" .... > > i don't understand how the layerkey override applies here. i already have > the layer keys. i want the walls to be drawn on the layer generated by the > key "WALL-EXT". how do i do this? > > thanks, > daron > > > "mark webb, autodesk" wrote in message > news:40574624$1_3@newsprd01... > > Daron > > > > This is covered in the online help, but a quick synopsis is > > > > 1. Launch the Layer Manager > > 2. Select the Layer Override toolbar button > > 3. Type in the appropriate override value in the list, or select by > picking > > the [...] button (e.g type "Demo" into the Minor 2 field) > > > > You can also replace stpe 1 and 2 by typing "LayerKeyOverride" at the > > command line. > > > > In addition Matt Dillon covered this quite well in his brain dump > available > > here: http://tinyurl.com/2gnmb > > > > Note that in 2005 you will be able to get access to this from the drawing > > status bar as well > > > > Best regards > > mark webb, autodesk > > > > "Daron Denton" wrote in message > > news:405732bf$1_3@newsprd01... > > > could someone please describe how to use a layerkey override? > > > > > > i have the layerkeys. i have the walls. i want to be able to place a > wall > > in > > > the drawing on the layer in the layer key. > > > > > > i do NOT want to use a palette in this scenario. > > > > > > thank you for your help, > > > daron > > > > > > > > > > > >
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

the tools work fine. i've got a really good server based palette setup, but too many of our users are complaining that the tool palettes chew up too much screen space. with rightclick/add selected to add objects, the palette is to costly for the amount actually used. not to mention add selected is better for copying items that have been tweaked after insertion (doors repositioned within wall for example). i've written a program that allows the user to select a style type (doors, walls, windows, etc) and break those down by interior/exterior and further by phase (new, existing, demo). styles can be inserted from current drawing, or a library drawing on the server. this is much more convenient from a management standpoint, because all i have to do to add new walls to the program - add walls the library drawing on the server. i don't have to add tools or update palettes. the only problem i'm having is getting the objects to insert on a layer defined in a layerkey, in this case, "WALL-DEMO". it *can* be done. others are doing it without tools. :o) i can do a very kludgy method, but i'd rather use the methods already available. thanks, daron "mark webb, autodesk" wrote in message news:4057803a$1_1@newsprd01... > The only way to do this directly, is to use the Layer Key setting on a wall > tool. > > Otherwise the "walladd" will always use the value of the Wall layer key > (with applied overrides) > > Can you explain your reluctance to use the tool system? It was purposefully > designed to allow you to setup specific defaults that can be applied to new > pbjects with a single click, the layer properties being one of them > > cheers > Mark > > > "Daron Denton" wrote in message > news:4057501f$1_2@newsprd01... > > Mark, thanks for taking the time to reply. i do appreciate it, but i must > > not be asking the question correctly. > > > > How does the layer override you suggested apply to the walladd command? > for > > arguments sake, let's say i'm doing this in lisp... > > (setvar "clayer" (aecgeneratelayerkey "WALL-EXT")) > > (command ".walladd" .... > > > > i don't understand how the layerkey override applies here. i already have > > the layer keys. i want the walls to be drawn on the layer generated by the > > key "WALL-EXT". how do i do this? > > > > thanks, > > daron > > > > > > "mark webb, autodesk" wrote in > message > > news:40574624$1_3@newsprd01... > > > Daron > > > > > > This is covered in the online help, but a quick synopsis is > > > > > > 1. Launch the Layer Manager > > > 2. Select the Layer Override toolbar button > > > 3. Type in the appropriate override value in the list, or select by > > picking > > > the [...] button (e.g type "Demo" into the Minor 2 field) > > > > > > You can also replace stpe 1 and 2 by typing "LayerKeyOverride" at the > > > command line. > > > > > > In addition Matt Dillon covered this quite well in his brain dump > > available > > > here: http://tinyurl.com/2gnmb > > > > > > Note that in 2005 you will be able to get access to this from the > drawing > > > status bar as well > > > > > > Best regards > > > mark webb, autodesk > > > > > > "Daron Denton" wrote in message > > > news:405732bf$1_3@newsprd01... > > > > could someone please describe how to use a layerkey override? > > > > > > > > i have the layerkeys. i have the walls. i want to be able to place a > > wall > > > in > > > > the drawing on the layer in the layer key. > > > > > > > > i do NOT want to use a palette in this scenario. > > > > > > > > thank you for your help, > > > > daron > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums