Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

delete key broke

11 REPLIES 11
Message 1 of 12
Anonymous
321 Views, 11 Replies

delete key broke

I can't believe something this small has stumped me, but I have suddenly had
two annoying problems on one of our stations:

1- The delete key no longer erases. Erase works. The delete key deletes in
the ADT2005 version so it's not the physical key.

2- Double clicking on text does not launch ddedit, which can be launched
from the command line.

I've tried changing profiles, customization, and of course, Help. I can't
find what would control this variable, if that is what it is.

I fear that I will discover other aberrations soon.

Thank You in advance: Hopefully I will suffer only the humiliation of the
obvious.

Ned Forrest, Architect

ADT2006 w/o SP1
WinXP pro
11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12
cadtastrophe
in reply to: Anonymous

I have had this problem many times try this. Tools>Options> Selection (tab) and check the noun/verb selection check box. This particular check box seems to arbitrarily "uncheck", I don't know if it is related to running a series of commands or what, but when it "unchecks" there are many many problems.

Jeff Camp
PCH Architects llp
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous

That worked...thank you!

The cause and effect is baffling.

ned

wrote in message news:5009851@discussion.autodesk.com...
I have had this problem many times try this. Tools>Options> Selection (tab)
and check the noun/verb selection check box. This particular check box
seems to arbitrarily "uncheck", I don't know if it is related to running a
series of commands or what, but when it "unchecks" there are many many
problems.

Jeff Camp
PCH Architects llp
Message 4 of 12
cadtastrophe

"The cause and effect is baffling".

Yes it is, for future reference I have seen this effect not only the items you mentioned but other issues such as not allowing object selection, moving all layers to current layer and not allowing changes, overriding linetypes, overriding font styles and again not allowing changes. In short anytime autocad or ADT (all the way back to R14) acts bizarre I have come to check this first, and it is uncanny how often this is the issue.

Jeff Camp
PCH Architects llp
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous

What is baffling? If the PICKFIRST system variable is not set to 1 [same as checking the noun/verb toggle previously mentioned], then AutoCAD expects you to issue a command first, then select the objects on which the command operates [Verb/Noun]. Way back when, this was the only way AutoCAD worked. WIth PICKFIRST set to 0, any selection you do before issuing a command is cleared - so the Delete key will not erase because the selection set is cleared when the command is issued.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Message 6 of 12
cadtastrophe

What is baffling...is the fact that it arbitrarily turns off. As in Ned's case (as well as dozens of times in this office), an operator will be working in a drawing fine then for whatever reason the noun verb box becomes unchecked. I know it is not the operator unchecking it because when I go to fix it they have never seen the options dialog box, so the baffling part is why it turns off.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous

Cadtastrophe wrote:
> What is baffling...is the fact that it arbitrarily turns off. As in Ned's case (as well as dozens of times in this office), an operator will be working in a drawing fine then for whatever reason the noun verb box becomes unchecked. I know it is not the operator unchecking it because when I go to fix it they have never seen the options dialog box, so the baffling part is why it turns off.

old custom scripts/lisp routines that do poor initial variable state
checking?

--
David Kurtz
Peckham & Wright Architects, Inc.
Columbia, Missouri
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous

Are you running any customizations that set PICKFIRST to 0, and then either fail to save the initial value and restore it, or do not have error handling built in, so that if the routine crashes or is cancelled by the user prior to "normal" termination, the initial value is not restored?

--

David Koch
Message 9 of 12
cadtastrophe

hahaha... sorry to laugh, to my knowledge no one in this office has any concept of what customization is. My next duty after learning ADT 2006 is to learn VBA or LISP (because my research has suggested it's a good thing to have the ability to do). So in short I can't imagine that it is a routine (at least not one that anyone here has any knowledge of) I have been here for 4 years and can not recall anyone ever discussing routines. Are there any other logical explanations? Or is it more likely that at some point in the distant past routines were put on several machines here?

Always Learning / Never Learning Enough,

Jeff
Message 10 of 12
Anonymous

Do you use the Express Tools? I would think that these would have proper restoration of variable values and proper error handling, but I only use a small number of them, so I can not vouch for whether all of them are Operator-Error proof.

--

David Koch
Message 11 of 12
cadtastrophe

David, yes in the older versions we do use the express tools. I have to wonder though about Operator-Error Proof... with this group that would be a miracle. At this point I know how to fix it and it is a simple fix so I'm not to worried, but I certainly would like to know if it was something that could be prevented. (We lose unbelievable amounts of time as CERTAIN operators try to figure out what is wrong before asking for help sometimes for days, again and again by the way....and sometimes the goofs erase everything and start over). So Operator-Error Proof would be a Christmas present to me.

Jeff
Message 12 of 12
Anonymous

There is a toggle for the PICKFIRST variable at the top of the Properties palette. It might be possible that a user could unknowingly click on that [perhaps when trying to quickly select the Quick Select icon].

--

David Koch

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report