Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wall tag override??

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
229 Views, 6 Replies

Wall tag override??

I'm fairly new to ADT2006.

I've been trying to grasp the wall tag concepts. Finally figured out that
the wall tags reference property sets of the wall style. I have Paul's book,
but haven't had time for too much chapter by chapter learning.

Now I can solve my curent issue by creating multiple wall styles, but I'm
working on a simple tenant improvement plan where one wall style is all I
need for the project. In plan the walls all look the same, the difference is
how high the wall goes (to the structure or just above ceiling) and whether
it's insulated or not. Is there a way to overide the wall type from wall to
wall in lieu of creating multiple wall styles? For this project it would be
faster for me to just go ahead and make multiple wall styles, but I'm trying
to grasp what I can and can't do in the ADT way of doing things.

Seems simple enough, but the properties dialogue box doesn't let you overide
the wall type. Any help out there?
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

It depends on what you are showing in the tag. If it is an automatic property, eg the wall height, then the attribute within the tag needs to be something like
WALLOBJECT:WALLHEIGHT
Where wallobject is a PSD (property set definition) ans wallheight is a property set withiin the PSD.
You can also create a manual property definitioon within the PSD, which you can then edit in the extended data tab of the object properties. You would then need to edit the attribute within the tag to something like
WALLOBJECT:DESCRIPTION

Scheduling isn't an easy topic to get your head around, good luck.
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous

The Type property for walls is a Manual property in the WallStyles Property Set Definition, which, as its name implies, is style-based, meaning that it is attached at the style level and all objects of that style will share the same properties and data [excepting for Automatic properties].

I would argue that having separate styles for separate wall types is a good thing, but if you really want to manually add the wall type to each and every single wall you draw, you could add a Manual property to the WallObjects Property Set Definition [or any other object-based Property Set Definition that applies to walls] and then set up a wall tag that references that property.

You might also consider eating your cake and having it too, by also setting up a Formula property in object-based Property Set Definition that would examine the value of the Manual, object-based, "override" property and if it were the default value, an empty string works well, then the style-based type is passed through; otherwise, the override value is passed through. You would then display this Formula property in the tag. You would get the benefit of having the style-based value show up unless there was an override set, so only walls that have not had a specific style created would need to have a type entered in for them.

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Using ADT 2004 at work; access to 2005 & 2006 at home
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Sounds like I will stick with multiple styles for now on down and dirty
projects like the current one. It's really not that hard to create more wall
styles, but for simple projects where visually my plans show 4 different
wall types the same, the only difference is the tag on the drawing. I'm
using a single digit letter for the wall types. Especially being a newby to
ADT, it would be far easier just to note wall type on insertion of the
symbol, then create several wall types, set each wall to the correct wall
type, then insert the symbol.
Thanks for the help guys. I really am trying to embrace the ADT way.
Sometimes though it just seems like more effort than it should be.
Mark

wrote in message news:5161694@discussion.autodesk.com...
The Type property for walls is a Manual property in the WallStyles Property
Set Definition, which, as its name implies, is style-based, meaning that it
is attached at the style level and all objects of that style will share the
same properties and data [excepting for Automatic properties].

I would argue that having separate styles for separate wall types is a good
thing, but if you really want to manually add the wall type to each and
every single wall you draw, you could add a Manual property to the
WallObjects Property Set Definition [or any other object-based Property Set
Definition that applies to walls] and then set up a wall tag that references
that property.

You might also consider eating your cake and having it too, by also setting
up a Formula property in object-based Property Set Definition that would
examine the value of the Manual, object-based, "override" property and if it
were the default value, an empty string works well, then the style-based
type is passed through; otherwise, the override value is passed through.
You would then display this Formula property in the tag. You would get the
benefit of having the style-based value show up unless there was an override
set, so only walls that have not had a specific style created would need to
have a type entered in for them.

--

David Koch
Using ADT 2004 at work; access to 2005 & 2006 at home
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous

David,
I've been trying the wall tag override setup and have had limited success. My PSD's are set to use the Style Based properties by default, using the object based as the override. My problem is after the object based and style based PSD's are attached, then the tags are applied, they default to the Object based information and do not update until you switch the information back and forth several times on each wall. Then it seems that everything works fine. I've attached a drawing for you to see the setup. I call this the "Pinball Bump" effect. Any Ideas on how to get this tag to come in properly initially?
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

When I first open your file, I see what your are saying, the non-overriden wall's tag displays the override value. If I make the formula property visible in the Properties Palette, it displays the wrong value there, too.

If I change the override to Yes, then back to No, it finally displays correctly. Once that is done, it always displayed correctly for me, in my limited testing, even after saving and reopening.

I was eventually able to reproduce your problem, by adding a new wall with the WallAdd command, and then either adding a tag with Add Selected or manually attaching the object-based Property Set Definition through the Properties Palette.

My theory is that because you applied a Property Data Format (PDF) to change True to Yes and False to No, when first applied, the PDF is not being properly applied, and no matter whether Override is set to Yes or No, it is evaluated as True or False, neither of which match "No", so the override values are applied. I changed the PDF to Standard, the formulas to test for "False" and also changed the PDF to Standard in the sample values area in the formula editing dialog [a necessary step, as in 2007, you can override the PDF set on a property for the purposes of the formula]. Using the "native" True and False values, I had no problems (see attached file). I also turned on the visibility of some of your formula properties, so I could see how those were evaluating, to make certain that the tag was displaying the proper values. I understand why you would want to have them off for actual use, but for debugging, I turned them on and was too lazy to turn them back off. 😉

In my work to date, I have not tried to have one override property affect multiple properties, so I have not used True/False manual properties much. It took me a while to figure out just what you were doing with all those properties, but allow me to tip my hat - that is a clever way to have a tag add boxes when there are values but omit them when the values are empty. If you really need Yes/No, rather than True/False, you might consider making them a List type manual property, with the assigned list only offering "No" and "Yes" as options, and not allowing the user to override the list values. Then you could test for "No" and be assured that it would be read properly. I added such a property - Override2 - to the attached file, but laziness kicked in again and I did not actually incorporate it into the formulas. As they used to say in math books, completing the exercisse is left for you. 😉

--

David Koch
Using ADT 2004 at work; access to 2005, 2006 & 2007 at home
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

David,
After doing a bit more digging on your website, I found an article on "List" properties which helped immensely. I switched all of the "True/False" and several other types to "List" properties in the formulas and everything seems to be working quite smoothly now. Thanks a million for the help!

Seth R Buchanan

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report