Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RSO/Nominal Component Sizing

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
chicks
143 Views, 3 Replies

RSO/Nominal Component Sizing

I'll try not to be winded. This problem has been since ADT2004 was released but doesn't look like it has changed in ADT2005:

I'm having a small problem with the ADT 2004 and continuing with 2005. It seems to calculate custom Door Profiles differently than ADT 3.3 did.

In ADT 33, the custom profile would be applied to the door panel, hence if you also had a custom door panel to be applied to the door styles, the profile and panel would match properly.

In ADT 2004/2005, the custom profile seems to be applied to the frame and not the panel, hence the only time the custom panel and profile match is if the Door is inserted with the Measure to set to Inside. When the measure to is set to the outside the custom profile and panel don't match anymore. This creates a serious problem when a user has a few hundred Door Styles.

The other problem with the measure to seems that the software can't calculate the Nominal size anymore.
Residential builders design/draw by RSO. In ADT 33, the software would give you both the RSO and the nominal size. In ADT 2004/2005, the software will only give you the RSO. Again inserting the door using "Measure to: Outside of Frame".
It doesn't schedule properly.

Any suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Carl
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: chicks

Carl - the profile problem was documented in the Exeter SP2 readme. Under "Additional Known Issues" you'll find: ------------------ Windows and Doors - Non-Rectangular & Multiple Ring Profiles Previous version drawings with doors or windows that use profiles with either multiple rings or non-rectangular shapes will have changes in the appearance of those objects. This is due to fixing a defect about correct sizes of irregular windows and doors when measured to the inside edge of the frame. ------------------ Were your Door Styles created to simulate muntins? Or do you work with many irregular overall shapes? If the former is true, you should consider using the new Muntins display properties that were introduced in ADT 2004. In addition, ADT 2004 provides some additional automatic queries for doors and windows - Inner Height and Width (Rough Height and Width have always been available). Hope this helps, Bill Glennie Autodesk Building Solutions Division
Message 3 of 4
chicks

Thanks Bill for your reply.

We do work with many irregular shapes in a custom door style library that was originally created in ADT3.3 and it is a real big issue for us and our customers. Is there a Usability document to support the feature change if it is a "by-design change" to fix defects or is this classified as a "bug"? What do we do? What do we tell customers?

Thanks,
Carl
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Carl - the defect that was fixed has to do with the rise of irregular shapes when the door or window is measured to the outside of the frame. In ADT33, if you specified a rise of 1'6" for a Peak Pentagon window with height & width of 3'0", measured to outside, you'd actually get an overall height of 3'1" and a rise of 1'8-1/4" - clearly a defect. The side-effect of fixing this problem was that other custom profiles used for windows and doors were adversely affected. Many users were drawing complex profiles to get the effect of mullions, and ADT 2004 provided a much better way of doing that, but other custom profiles no longer had the same appearance. Since you have a large number of custom shape windows to deal with, it may be preferable to modify them through some automated routine, which someone familiar with VBA could create. If you could send me a couple of typical window styles (bill.glennie@autodesk.com), I may be able to hook you up with someone who could make the necessary changes. I'll know better what you can tell your customers when I see what kind of adjustments are required. Hope this helps, Bill Glennie Autodesk Building Solutions Division

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report