Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
115 Views, 2 Replies

Layer Standards

Can anyone tell me is there a manual or a file that tell how Desktop has setup the plotting and layer standards. I am returning to desktop from Revit and i was going to use the default AutoCAD layers. However, I can't figure out how the screen colors relate to plotted line weights.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

The relationship between color and lineweight is set up in accordance with the TriServices plotting standards, which is part of the US National CAD Standard.

Colors 1-9 [black, but pattern varies from standard] and 250-255 [black, halftones] vary, but the basic arrangement of the other colors is in groups of ten, which alternate between black/screened black [odd tens] and various colors [even tens]. Each group of ten is assigned lineweights based on the last digit of the number as noted below:

0 - 0.18 mm [Fine]
1 - 0.25 mm [Thin]
2 - 0.35 mm [Medium]
3 - 0.50 mm [Wide]
4 - 0.70 mm [Extra Wide]
5 - 1.00 mm [Moderate Bold]
6 - 1.40 mm [Bold]
7 - 0.35 mm [Medium] <-- Halftone when color is black
8 - 0.70 mm [Extra Wide] <-- Halftone when color is black
9 - 2.00 mm [Extra Bold]

If I recall, the colors used by ADT ignore the color pen assignments in the TriServices guidelines and use Black/Screened black for all [monochrome plot styles].

--

David Koch
Autodesk Discussion Group Facilitator
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

David,

I have noticed that there is great deal that ADT differs from the UDS. If* the industry is moving toward an overall acceptance of UDS as the standard, why is ADT not flowing suit? My firm like many others has adopted UDS as our office standard. We like the idea of being able to coordinate across disciplines by having a universally recognized standard. Of course like many firms we too have had a great deal of difficulty in implementing UDS and getting consultants to do the same. I personally have a hard time telling staff they have to adhere to UDS and use the conventions in ADT, when often they conflict.

Clint Newton III
Spillman Farmer Architects

*(The IF being a very big if at that, is assumed to be positive even if there is evidence to the contrary. With out the assumption that the industry as a whole is moving toward a national standard, my point is mute.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report