Announcements
IMPORTANT. Forum in Read Only mode. You can no longer submit new questions or replies. Please read this message for details
Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior
Welcome to Autodesk’s Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Autodesk Architectural Desktop 2007 & Prior topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop Replacement Processor

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
209 Views, 3 Replies

Laptop Replacement Processor

I had a Dell Inspiron 9100 with a Pentium 4 for ~ 2 years. As of recent, it went kaput. Dell was kind enough to replace it with a Dell XPS M170 with an Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB).

http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=iMX170S0&s=dhs&fb=1

Dell claims this processor is an equal. Autodesk techs have not yet been able to give an answer about whether or not ADT 07 or Revit would have the same performance on the Pentium M as it would the Pentium 4.

Does anyone have any knowledge, educated guesses, etc. on this M vs. 4 issue?
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 17:15:47 +0000, wpb7777777 <> wrote:

>I had a Dell Inspiron 9100 with a Pentium 4 for ~ 2 years. As of recent, it went kaput. Dell was kind enough to replace it with a Dell XPS M170 with an Intel® Pentium® M Processor 760 (2 GHz/2MB Cache/533MHz FSB).
>
>http://configure.us.dell.com/dellstore/config.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&oc=iMX170S0&s=dhs&fb=1
>
>Dell claims this processor is an equal. Autodesk techs have not yet been able to give an answer about whether or not ADT 07 or Revit would have the same performance on the Pentium M as it would the Pentium 4.

>Does anyone have any knowledge, educated guesses, etc. on this M vs. 4 issue?

I would say you got a good deal. The P4 is on its way out.

Basically, Intel is busy replacing the Pentium 4 line with something that is
based on the Pentium M design, bacause it matches the P4 in most applications at
a fraction of the clock speed. If anything, it WILL run cooler and for much
longer on batteries than the P4.

However, there are certain situations, which are more sensitive to clock speed,
where you might see a slowdown, such as rendering. As for AutoCAD, I run ADT
2005 on my M60 laptop (1.7Ghz Pentium M) without any issues. Other factors,
namely the amount of RAM and hard disk speed, play a larger role.

Matt
mstachoni@comcast.net
mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Got in three Core Duo processor laptops.
Will let you know how much they help.
I'm at home, they are in the office so I don't remember the specific processor, yeah weekend slacker, not Dell's so You will have to take the review with a shot of Quervo.
HP's, 17" display 1 g ram, 7 pounds. And I don't think he ordered 7200 rpm H.D. With port replicator under 2K.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.

BTW spellchecker suggested Queer instead of Quervo.:-)
Message 4 of 4
Anonymous

Duo cores are SWEET

John P.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report